CJ #1 Rated RB performance

WTF?!??? He's #1 in the full writeup but #4 when you scroll down to the bottom without the writeup. Doesn't male sense. However, I just woke up and could be missing something.

Either way, regardless if we put a whole lot into PFT/PFF and thier crazy views, it still is nice to see Spiller get some accolades. Apparently someone notices. Fred should have been on that list for sure. But just as I was a firm believer in Fred when ML was here, I'm a believer that CJ will be very good if we can just use him enough. Unfortunately for CJ, Freds new contract may hurt his career stats. I think he could be something special. Oh well. 2 good backs is a good thing.

WTF?!??? He's #1 in the full writeup but #4 when you scroll down to the bottom without the writeup. Doesn't male sense. However, I just woke up and could be missing something.

Either way, regardless if we put a whole lot into PFT/PFF and thier crazy views, it still is nice to see Spiller get some accolades. Apparently someone notices. Fred should have been on that list for sure. But just as I was a firm believer in Fred when ML was here, I'm a believer that CJ will be very good if we can just use him enough. Unfortunately for CJ, Freds new contract may hurt his career stats. I think he could be something special. Oh well. 2 good backs is a good thing.

I think the second list is just based on purely rushing, receiving not included.

I think that game was also one of the worst coaching performances I have ever witnessed. I've never seen such horrible play calling. Chan just kept calling 5-wideout, shotgun sets with a center who couldn't snap, while avoiding the running game which was working perfectly.

I think that game was also one of the worst coaching performances I have ever witnessed. I've never seen such horrible play calling. Chan just kept calling 5-wideout, shotgun sets with a center who couldn't snap, while avoiding the running game which was working perfectly.

That was the first game against the Dolphins w/Levitre at center.

This is for CJ's performance in the week 15 game. Which was the 2nd meeting.

That was the first game against the Dolphins w/Levitre at center.

This is for CJ's performance in the week 15 game. Which was the 2nd meeting.

Oh was it? Sorry. Actually, the coaching sucked in that game too. How do you have such a remarkable running game but still manage to lose?

Oh was it? Sorry. Actually, the coaching sucked in that game too. How do you have such a remarkable running game but still manage to lose?

Well tough to win when your defense can't stop Matt friggin Moore.

Edited by biglukes

Well tough to win when your defense can't stop Matt friggin Moore.

And the run defense was pathetic, but I still blame Chan for a lot of the loses last year. Over both games he never made any adjustments other than calling excessive pass plays. And yes, Matt Moore looked like Marino against us :(

Well good for CJ. If Gailey ever learns to understand the running game and how it can demoralize opponents, CJ will have a 300 yards from scrimmage day.

I'm more impressed that NONE of those top 10 performances was against the Bills defense, though.

GO BILLS!!!

And the run defense was pathetic, but I still blame Chan for a lot of the loses last year. Over both games he never made any adjustments other than calling excessive pass plays. And yes, Matt Moore looked like Marino against us :(

Chan is using the passing game to open up the running game. The reason both our backs averaged over 5 yards a carry was not because of our dominating offensive line, but because (1) we do have talented backs and (2) Chan's play-calling.

If Turk Schonert, for example, was still the Offensive Coordinator, FredEx and CJ wouldn't average over 5 yards a pop and people would wonder why we run so much when the run game is obviously not working.

Chan is using the passing game to open up the running game. The reason both our backs averaged over 5 yards a carry was not because of our dominating offensive line, but because (1) we do have talented backs and (2) Chan's play-calling.

If Turk Schonert, for example, was still the Offensive Coordinator, FredEx and CJ wouldn't average over 5 yards a pop and people would wonder why we run so much when the run game is obviously not working.

^^^. Thank you. We have great backs but the major reason we run so well is we pass so much out of a spread formation in the shotgun.

^^^. Thank you. We have great backs but the major reason we run so well is we pass so much out of a spread formation in the shotgun.

I agree that you need to pass to open up the run and vice versa, but Chan didn't really do that like the good coaches do. Everytime they lined up in spread it was a pass. Most good teams mix in draw plays with their shotguns and mix in play action passes with the tighter formations. I didn't see any of those usual strategies at all last year. It was always pretty obvious if a run or pass was coming, IMO.

I agree that you need to pass to open up the run and vice versa, but Chan didn't really do that like the good coaches do. Everytime they lined up in spread it was a pass. Most good teams mix in draw plays with their shotguns and mix in play action passes with the tighter formations. I didn't see any of those usual strategies at all last year. It was always pretty obvious if a run or pass was coming, IMO.

Not sure if you have ESP or anything but they ran out of the same formations and packages they threw out of. Always out of the shotgun, one back, and then various combinations of three WR or four depending on the TE. McIntyre hardly ever saw the field except on short yardage.

Not sure if you have ESP or anything but they ran out of the same formations and packages they threw out of. Always out of the shotgun, one back, and then various combinations of three WR or four depending on the TE. McIntyre hardly ever saw the field except on short yardage.

Do I have ESPN? Yes. I just don't recall very many draw plays last year. Even less play action attempts. Just a lot of "exactly-what-you-would-expect-plays."

On the other hand, The Patriots used play action EXCESSIVELY. It seemed as if Brady would add a fake handoff to every play, just for the heck of it. They always kept Ds on edge, well, except the Giants D.

Edited by mountainwampus

Do I have ESPN? Yes. I just don't recall very many draw plays last year. Even less play action attempts. Just a lot of "exactly-what-you-would-expect-plays." Especially late in both Miami games.

There are a myriad of factors for that. First it's a lot harder to run draws and play action out of a shotgun than when under center (or more difficult to fool the defense). We were also shuffling the line from the fourth game on almost every game and Gailey could only hope to get the OL to do their normal job. Teams also brought guys up to the LOS a little more but that was really designed to shut down the short passing game and lanes and not take away the running game because the runs weren't killing other teams for the most part after halfway through the season. They could afford to endure the runs as long as the team wasn't able to go 80 yards for scores like they did in the first 5-6 games because we would have to string 6-7 first downs per drive which is so hard to do.

Plus, we were often playing from behind, and/or it was glaringly obvious that our defense couldn't stop anyone the entire game, so we were forced to pass more. I remember quite a few draws, however.

I personally would have like a little more running, too, at times. But that is probably only 2-3 carries per game more before suddenly your run doesn't work anymore because teams line up to stop it, and we didn't have the health on the OL to just blow people away off the ball.