Kudos to Chris Brown

Gotta give Chris Brown some credit here: His post about talent available at the start of Day 3 spotlighted three players the Bills ended up picking: Zebrie Sanders, Nigel Bradham and Tank Carder.

Knowing the Bills wanted to get two tackles there are a few of good tackle prospects in Florida State’s Zebrie Sanders and Memphis’ Ronald Leary.

At LB I’ll mention Nigel Bradham again who should still be there toward the end of the fourth round by most accounts. Guy looks wiry strong, but scout Darrell Moody told us earlier in the week that he could play either OLB position in Buffalo’s 4-3. TCU’s Tank Carder, who made a pre-draft visit to One Bills Drive is also still on the board, but might be a late fourth or fifth round pick.

Link

Amazes me that more people haven't figured it out yet. Brown was tweeting the names right before the picks in the late rounds. This man is fed plenty of good information. Read his stuff - he's always giving good bits of info that's easy to connect the dots to.

The guy is on the Bills payroll. I agree it's so crazy that some people think he's just some informed reporter. Obviously most of the people on this board know what the deal is but many many years ago before I found this f'd up place I used to frequent BB.com. Wow. I know this place has is down moments but that place is a nightmare. 80% of the posters are 16 years old or younger, 10% trolls, and maybe 10 % knowledgeable people. Anyways, he would post over there and it was just funny to see the reaction. The dude literally spits out whatever the the powers that be want him to put out to the public and some still can't quite figure that out. :wallbash:

I think Chris is a hardworking, earnest, and serious worker with lots of integrity.

Within the parameters set for him, I think he does a good job.

I have no problem with that, or your assessment of the situation either.

I think Chris is a hardworking, earnest, and serious worker with lots of integrity.

Within the parameters set for him, I think he does a good job.

Additionally, I think it's clear he doesn't receive a ton of "inside" information, but because of his access he can connect the dots more easily than the outside media.

In his last mock draft Chris had the Bills taking Barron. Think they'd want him to post that if it was presumed he knew who they wanted to pick?

I like Brown's info and blog; you have to take the stuff with a grain of salt because he is writing about his employer, but it's not just a bunch of homerism either.

I enjoy Chris Brown, too. But it is a bit like reading Pravda. He isn't going to stray from the company line, but he has inside sources. I'm sure that sometimes, like pre-draft, he is a part of the misdirection machine. He had the Bills taking Barron, which they might have done if he hadn't gone at seven. At other times, he is an apologist. But during the preseason and regular season, I think he has insightful takes on who is doing well, who coaches like, who is banged up, what coaches are thinking, etc.

I agree that Chris's primary job is as a "Company Journalist," meaning he's never going to stray too far from the corporate message. He's given enough leeway to remain credible, but his job is still a PR function.

That said, I think his access to information is an asset. Sure, maybe it's to be expected that he'll have more of a scoop than national reporters, but that's the point of this post, isn't it? That when we're starving for insights on what the Bills are thinking, maybe Chris's reporting isn't such a bad place to start.

Even a guy with direct access is gonna be all over the map during the pre-draft guessing game, but I thought he provided a fairly true-to-life perspective on what the Bills game plan was. If anything, this story has me impressed with Buddy and the coaching staff. They had certain players targeted and they got their guys.