Today is the Day...

There have been polarizing opinions regarding Buddy Nix and his Front Office regarding assembling a championship team via the Draft and Free Agency. There have been countless discussions regarding each Draft, because let's face it - we all love our Buffalo BILLS and their destiny is directly tied to how we make our weeks from September to January, and countless discussions regarding the state of the team throughout the year. Buddy was given poor marks for his first Draft due to Spiller pick and then Troupe and Carrington and redeemed himself last year, in large part due to Dareus, and this Free Agency period has shown that Nix will do what it takes to bring the BILLS to the next level. And before I go any further, we should put recent history in perspective by saying that when Nix arrived it was close to the Draft and he was relying on the information provided by men who are no longer employed by the BILLS, at his hand he fired them or encouraged them to leave, and found an overhaul needed to take place. Then last year his ability to make too many changes via Free Agency was infringed upon based on the NFL work stoppage and all the issues surrounding the contract dispute and delayed start to Free Agency and the drastic changes in contracts for Rookies and existing players who would have been ready to hit the FA market. And then he had a solid Draft, so now in his first full year without NFL work business interrupting his ability to truly get a difference maker - he did just that with Mario Williams and then adding more talent via Mark Anderson.

However, today is the day of reckoning for this Front Office and no one will know exactly how this day pans out for the next few years. We may or may not be fans of how the Draft looks on paper once these next three days are over, but only time will tell. However, perception for this Front Office and the current state of the BILLS will greatly influence fan emotion and support. Moreover, whether we truly know the value of this Draft next year or in three years (as most argue it takes that long to truly evaluate a Draft's hit or miss) TODAY is the Draft that will either put Nix and Co. into BILLS lore or sink this ship like the Titanic requiring another "re-build", and most likely by another regime at some point in the future. Today is exciting and full of anxiety about their first pick, whether the BILLS trade up or down or stand pat on their current spot, and the next two days are where the majority of your starters come from and where good value can be had, ala Stevie J, so the excitement continues but make no mistake....THIS Draft is where Buddy's legacy is firmly established. It will either be positive or negative or possibly even neither, and just mundane or ordinary. Buddy and Doug, along with Chan and Dave W., have much work in front of them as they have had much work over the last several months, but today is PAY DAY for us BILLS fans, we find out today and the next two days whether all that hard work will result in true gain, or merely perceived effort and we'll be talking about this weekend in a year, and two, and three to discuss whether Nix was a true contributor to the BILLS return to Glory or whether we are burning a mannequin of him in effigy in the Ralph parking lot.

To all true fans, let's enjoy this weekend and debate these picks and have a blast looking to the future, but also as true fans let's remember....this weekend may either be the beginning of something great or the end of another run at failure.

GO BILLS!!!!

GO BILLS!!!!

I see your points, but I think Nix's legacy began from Day 1. He stated what his goals are and how he was going to get there, and he's not strayed from that path. So far, it has been the Buffalo Law Firm (Gailey, Whaley, & Nix) method of building a football team.

1335442431[/url]' post='2446460']

I see your points, but I think Nix's legacy began from Day 1. He stated what his goals are and how he was going to get there, and he's not strayed from that path. So far, it has been the Buffalo Law Firm (Gailey, Whaley, & Nix) method of building a football team.

This.News flash, OP: Day 1 was more than 2 years ago and the path has been set. Even the most ardent nay-Sayers agree with his approach and that the influx of talent to date is a major upgrade.

Best part about today is that the Bills will be even BETTER by Saturday night!

This.News flash, OP: Day 1 was more than 2 years ago and the path has been set. Even the most ardent nay-Sayers agree with his approach and that the influx of talent to date is a major upgrade.

I agree with everything you said. All I'm saying is that Nix's legacy began two years ago.

I agree with everything you said. All I'm saying is that Nix's legacy began two years ago.

I think Chandler#81 agrees with everything you said. All he's saying is that Nix's legacy began two years ago.

My point was not that this is Day 1, but that this Draft - after everything else has happened up to this point - is where Nix and his Front Office will determine if his efforts and therefore his hiring, has been worth it. Today and this weekend is where Nix will be truly evaluated in the long run. Yes he's had two Drafts and two Free Agency periods, but as I laid my argument out above, for one reason or another, this Draft will define where Nix's legacy lies.

For the most part, see my first response.

This was not to say today is Day 1 for Nix and Co, but rather that THIS Draft will essentially define Nix's time in Buffalo in one way or another. I laid out the reasons why I believe this to be true. Yes, he's been on the job for a couple years, but THIS Draft will be the one that either permits Nix to rise to a level where he gains additional respect and appreciation from the fanbase or one where the BILLS fans around the world will be clamoring for "another" change. That was the point....I know he's been at this for two years, but as stated above, I don't believe you can look at the previous two off-season periods as ones that are true representations of what he can/can't do for this team. They play a part in the overall evaluation of what he's done, and his staff, but this Draft is where the tipping point is created...for the better and the benefit of the BILLS, or for the worse and to their detriment. That's my point....you can still argue with it obviously, but I just want to be clear about what my point actually was....my apologies if it was nebulous and unfocused.

I agree with what you are saying but let's face it the wins have got to start coming this year. There are no more excuses. This team that way it is built needs to take that next step. I am not saying that if they don't make the playoffs this regime should be out but I fully expect especially with the way the schedule shakes out a 10-11 win season this year. I have not felt this optimistic in a long time.

Nice post, well thought out and elloquent. Can't wait... only about 11 hours to go!

Thanks....that was my intent, not to just fire away at what the Draft may or may not bring, but to put in perspective how important THIS particular Draft is to the BILLS and to the Front Office. Allowing the previous years to lead up to THIS Draft and understand its signficance, at least IMO...

I agree with what you are saying but let's face it the wins have got to start coming this year. There are no more excuses. This team that way it is built needs to take that next step. I am not saying that if they don't make the playoffs this regime should be out but I fully expect especially with the way the schedule shakes out a 10-11 win season this year. I have not felt this optimistic in a long time.

I agree with your statement, "There are no more excuses", and that is the underlying premise of my post. That today and this weekend is the time when we see what Nix and Co. are truly about and what all their preparation has really done for them, and therefore the BILLS...although we won't really know until the season starts, I think most of us will have a good idea as to what this organization is doing for itself and the fanbase. That's why I started this post to discuss what people's opinions are and will be leading up to, during, and after the Draft as to how they believe Nix has done in hindsight with THIS Draft as the back-drop....

Well the BigBuff wrote a really nice Op-Ed mile marker for this regime.

The third year of a regime does have symbolic significance and today is the first year that this regime is unencumbered by less-than-ideal circumstances.

No late transition period, no lockout.

Nix has fired Modrak and brought in Tom Gibbons and Chuck Cook… he has his team on board.

Also Nix has apparently laid down some contingencies for moving both up and down from #10. He has publicly stated that the expectations are high this year and the team is playing to win.

In the context of the near end of both Ralph Wilson's long life and the team's stadium lease, there is definitely the sense that this third draft, this third year of a rebuild, this season, will be a watershed moment in Bills history.

Buddy has done a very solid job so far.But we all know its a work in progress..and this draft-yes-will tip it all forward toward excellence or back toward averageness.I don't think,given what Buddy has done-that even a mediocre draft can make his regime a failure.

Solid pick in Dareus,CJ(working out now that Chan finally figured out how to use him),Williams,.. all solid.

Lets hope we don't outsmart ourselves by picking a WR(worst scenario) or CB(a need but not our top need).The engine still needs work--LB or OL or even D line-cannot have too many( I recall a Giantfan friend early last season saying that the Giants have no DBs..)

His legacy began when did what he said he would do. Buddy has done everything he planned to do since he got here. Create competition at every level possible and get mroe depth. He does that every draft. he also said it wouldnt' be a 1 year turn around. We are now in year 3 and have alot less holes to fill.