What Saban means to the AFC East

nodnarb

Under Nick Saban, there won't be any more David Boston-level decisions for Bills fans to chuckle about. There won't be any 2nd round picks for AJ Feeleys. There won't be any Ricky Williamses on his team, and there won't be any horrid drafts like there was under Wanny. Saban knows players as good as anybody, and he'll have the Dolphins playing much better. I hope he can beat up on his buddy Belichick a bit, but what's more concerning is their closeness.

If the old saying, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" has truth, then we're looking at "The friend of our enemy is our enemy, and they're reinforced by each other". Saban and Belichick talk weekly. They share ideas on strategy, personnel, and prospects.

The AFC East just got a LOT more difficult. I know that the Bills "need" the marketing revenue that comes with playing the jets, patriots and miami, but now more than ever, I'd love to see a restructuring that puts the Bills in the AFC North with the Bengals, Browns, and Steelers.

The AFC East just got a LOT more difficult. I know that the Bills "need" the marketing revenue that comes with playing the jets, patriots and miami, but now more than ever, I'd love to see a restructuring that puts the Bills in the AFC North with the Bengals, Browns, and Steelers.

183849[/snapback]

I have to disagree that the AFC E just got more difficult. There's a huge difference between the situations that Belechek and Saban are now in. First, Belecheck has a GM who is good. Saban is going to be his own GM. This is a huge mistake, and it's too much for a coach to handle. It's NEVER worked out. I was worried about Saban being coach of Miami until I heard this. Miami will be the doormat of the AFC E for the next few years.

Even if Saban is a good coach, we only play them 2X a year, and any team that can beat our other competitors is huge. The Bills suffer because every other team beats Miami, unless it's a fluke. Imagine if the Jets lost to Miami once! WE'd be in!

Thirdly, Saban hasn't done jack in the NFL. He hasn't managed a draft, and dealing with multimillionaire players is different than dealing with college kids. Just ask Spurrier, Butch Davis, or Dennis Erickson.

I'm not worried about Saban just because Belecheck thinks he's good. Screw Belecheck, and screw Saban.

I'm not worried about Saban just because Belecheck thinks he's good. Screw Belecheck, and screw Saban.

---------

While I respect BB I have no respect for Saban. The guy is acting like he's doing Miami a favor by coming in to that franchise. He's taking both positions to rebuild like he's the second coming of Don Shula. Give me a break Saban. You haven't done crap in the NFL and if you think you are going to waltz in to the best division in the NFL and just dominate b/c you are Nick Saban you got another thing coming.

Miami should have kept Bates. They are 3-3 under him and playing like they have a pair. If I was a Phins fan I would have preferred Bates over Saban.

I know that the Bills "need" the marketing revenue that comes with playing the jets, patriots and miami, but now more than ever, I'd love to see a restructuring that puts the Bills in the AFC North with the Bengals, Browns, and Steelers.

183849[/snapback]

So instead of staying and putting up a fight with what is clearly a team on the rise, you'd rather run away? Christ, did BF steal your username? ;)

I was really worried about Saban at first but then I saw that he was GM and Head Coach and now I'm not worried. Unless he has the supporting cast behind him that's needed. Look at the coaches of the past who have tried to do this... Successful, already proven NFL coaches even. I just don't se him doing well in the NFL. It's been proven time and time again that this is WAY to much for one person to handle.

So instead of staying and putting up a fight with what is clearly a team on the rise, you'd rather run away? Christ, did BF steal your username? ;)

183908[/snapback]

Hey, go easy Labz.

Yes, I know the Bills are a team on the rise, but facts are facts. It's easier for a teaam to go the distance if they host playoff games. To do that, you have to win your division at least. It's harder to win a division with BB and NS (just wait, folks, and watch. Miami'll be BETTER in 05 and VERY GOOD in 06.) than it is with franchises like CLeveland and Cinci. I actually think the Bills would be a great fit in the blue collar AFC North, and it would make better geographic sense.

It's not that I would like an "easier rode to hoe", it's just that it's undeniable that winning your division makes it more likely that you'll win the SB than trying to get in through wildcard status. Anything that increases the Bills' shot at a SB, I'm for.

And for those who say Saban did nothing in the NFL:

He only took the worst defense in the league and turned it into one of the scariest. Statistically the 2nd best and he surrendered the fewest points against. Nobody wanted to play that browns defense.

He only took the worst defense in the league and turned it into one of the scariest. Statistically the 2nd best and he surrendered the fewest points against. Nobody wanted to play that browns defense.

184088[/snapback]

Well, Bellyache also got fired from that same team. I'm not worried about Saban. Hell, Gregggg Williams was the D-coordinator for a great defense in Tenny and we all know what happened there.

I wouldn't get too anxious about it. I don't care how often he talks to BB. He's NOT BB. And the NFL is a different game, especially with GM responsibilities.

It will be a good long time before Saban does anything with Miami, if he does at all.

No matter how smart or talented an individual is there is a learning curve behind every job. Saban would have to acclimate himself to being an NFL head coach even if that was the only job he took. That, in itself, would have taken (most likely) a year. The fact that he's doing two jobs, head-coach and GM, is what is going to be his downfall. He'll have huge learning curves for both these jobs and his mistakes as a GM are going to cost the Dolphins for years to come. The Dolphins made a big mistake giving Saben the GM job, most coaches don't get both of those duties unless they win a SB and the Phins just handed the GM job to Saban.

To echo a few other posters, this hiring doesn't worry me at all.