(SUW) Would you work for free?

Fezmid

Could the reason be that the union is complicit in the pending demise of USAir?  Would you reason that the union may have been behind the "unusually high sick days" around a very busy Christmas holiday?

The intentions of a company that's in bakrupcy is to survive to see the next day.  While USAir is one of the worst run airlines, it has a binary outcome - rework the union contracts or die.  It's nice to see the union speeding up one of the outcomes.

185251[/snapback]

I don't know what representation these folks have, but I worked for many years in automotive, with occasional involvement in negotiations with the U.A.W.

The UAW believes in and understands give and take, and their influence in workplace health and safety is second to none. This crowd wants to slit their own throats just so they can bleed all over the company.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No I wouldnt work for free. And US Air shouldnt ask people to work for free. They should fold up and go bankrupt if they cant pay their employees.

I have been screwed over so many times by companies asking me to go above and beyond only to be screwed later. So screw corp. America, they have shown no loyalty to the American worker so screw them !

I've come into work for free a few times, but I sure wouldn't do it for a company like US Air. Their employees get treated like crap on a regular basis. If I was working there and got a call like this from my boss, I'd just laugh and laugh until my boss hung up.

183494[/snapback]

You are dead on...my dad put in 14 yrs at USAirways and was sh-- on at the end...that company completely sucks, and it will be good when put out of their miserable existence...

No I wouldnt work for free. And US Air shouldnt ask people to work for free. They should fold up and go bankrupt if they cant pay their employees.

I have been screwed over so many times by companies asking me to go above and beyond only to be screwed later. So screw corp. America, they have shown no loyalty to the American worker so screw them !

185648[/snapback]

Amen, SDFan. Here's my whole problem with the corporate attitude, and I experienced it first hand working for a Tyco subsidiary, the epitome of greed. Corporate America wants you to suffer in the bad times, which most of us can understand. But Corp Am won't share with you in the good times either, and still tries to keep you down. So when a company like USAir says help me, that's why workers say "screw off". Still, the kicker is that it can come back at you if the airline folds and you loose everything. Corporate-Labor high stakes poker

I have a feeling this airline is about to go completely under....

http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/29/news/fortu...dex.htm?cnn=yes

The newspaper said the airline has sent extra workers and executives to Philadelphia to help restore services, but is seeking employees to work for free between Dec. 30 and Jan. 3.

"This is a volunteer program," the airline said in an e-mail to staff published by the newspaper. "You will not be paid if this is on your days(s) off. It promises to be a rewarding opportunity to learn more about the operation of our airline and come face to face with our customers."

183451[/snapback]

Yeah and after I am done working for free maybe I will poke self in eye with a stick. Useless Air has gone to new extremes. But wait dont most of us who are salaried employess work for free anyways? When was last time you worked a 40 hour work week and did work on nights, weekends and during vacations.

I understand your comment that people sometimes "work for free."  I'm a salaried employee and routinely put in 50-70 hours/week.

That said, if the company were sinking (and there's no questioning that US Air is in tough times right now), I'd be spending December 30th - January 3rd updating and sending out my resume...  Company loyalty died in the 80s (and it was the corporations that killed it).  My 2 cents.

CW

183506[/snapback]

Fez agreed instead of going to work for free I would be looking for a new job. In todays economy they know they can ask/demand alot from employeess cause were ya going to go?

SO the unions and the employees who staged the sickout and threatened to do so again this weekend are not responsible.  So the union who knows the company, and most airlines are having a hard time staying solvent are not responsible to help management out.  I see.  It is always the management, and stock holders.  The employees have nothing to do with the success of the company by not being overly greedy in their demands and not staging sickout or work slowdowns.

183650[/snapback]

Yeah blame the unions for the lousy management job the execs have been doing along with the big bonuses they all received. The me generation is ruining many corporations

Yeah and after I am done working for free maybe I will poke self in eye with a stick.  Useless Air has gone to new extremes.  But wait dont most of us who are salaried employess work for free anyways?  When was last time you worked a 40 hour work week and did work on nights, weekends and during vacations.

185920[/snapback]

I like your view, Spidey. When my company was sold, we had to conduct a physical inventory. Of course it was to start after first shift Friday, and go thru the weekend until it was done. Of course, being salary, I got "drafted" for this pleasure. So we have a handful of warehouse people, mostly to run fork-lifts, and a lot of salary people counting. Some of the salary people, it was the first time they ever got close to our product. They were no help. Management wanted salaried people for this as they got their inventory done for free. Didn't have to pay any one. 30 hours later we were done. The CFO called from home every hour for like the last 12 hours, "are you done yet?"

You know what I remember most? I'm in a warehouse aisle with a hourly guy. I'm counting like crazy because I want to get out of there. The other guy pulls out a box of like 5,000 one cent parts. The whole box is worth $50. He sits down in the aisle, dumps the box on the floor, and starts counting one at a time. I tell him to weigh measure them, it will be done instantly. He says he doesn't care, he's getting a ton of OT $$$. 30 minutes later he is still counting, I call over to him "what time is it? He says 10:15, and resumes counting 1016, 1017, 1018, 1019............I thought to myself, OMG, I'm never getting out of here

I like your view, Spidey.  When my company was sold, we had to conduct a physical inventory.  Of course it was to start after first shift Friday, and go thru the weekend until it was done.  Of course, being salary, I got "drafted" for this pleasure.  So we have a handful of warehouse people, mostly to run fork-lifts, and a lot of salary people counting.  Some of the salary people, it was the first time they ever got close to our product.  They were no help.  Management wanted salaried people for this as they got their inventory done for free.  Didn't have to pay any one.  30 hours later we were done.  The CFO called from home every hour for like the last 12 hours, "are you done yet?"

You know what I remember most?  I'm in a warehouse aisle with a hourly guy.  I'm counting like crazy because I want to get out of there.  The other guy pulls out a box of like 5,000 one cent parts.  The whole box is worth $50.  He sits down in the aisle, dumps the box on the floor, and starts counting one at a time.  I tell him to weigh measure them, it will be done instantly.  He says he doesn't care, he's getting a ton of OT $$$.  30 minutes later he is still counting, I call over to him "what time is it?  He says 10:15, and resumes counting 1016, 1017, 1018, 1019............I thought to myself, OMG, I'm never getting out of here

185989[/snapback]

Is this post supposed to illustrate how management rips companies off?

Yeah blame the unions for the lousy management job the execs have been doing along with the big bonuses they all received.  The me generation is ruining many corporations

185927[/snapback]

Yeah, cause there's no "me generation" attitude among the unions :ph34r:

But instead of looking for the root causes, let's blame the CEOs bonus. After all, that's enough to run the company for about four hours.

Yeah, cause there's no "me generation" attitude among the unions  :ph34r:

But instead of looking for the root causes, let's blame the CEOs bonus.  After all, that's enough to run the company for about four hours.

186003[/snapback]

To be perfectly fair, USAir is a horribly managed corporation (perfect evidence of that is that they have the unmitigated gall to request that employees volunteer their time). But the union's attitude, which is apparently that they have no interest in the survival of the company, hardly helps either. Really...USAir's situation is a big enough pile of sh-- that there's plenty to spread around.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.........exploitation of salaried people was my point

186051[/snapback]

Maybe it was your agreement with spidey's views?

Exploitation of salaried workers, huh. Ever come in a few minutes late or leave a few minutes early and not get your pay docked? Always take a 1 hour lunch?

Expectations of salaried employees are different than for hourly employees. In exchange for exempt status, you get a lot more leeway than hourly employees.

In your company's case, it sounds like they made the right business decision in not having hourly workers count inventory.

Is this post supposed to illustrate how management rips companies off?

No kidding.

You provided a perfect example of why they picked salaried employees to do the job. And a perfect example of the "don't kill the job" mentality that many workers have.

Exploitation of salaried workers? You are on salary dude, you do what your boss says, and sometimes it sucks. I can't tell you how many times I worked late / through a weekend or had to go on some stupid business trip Friday - Tuesday that I didn't want to go on, but guess what - that was my job and I did what my boss told me. It wasn't exploitation, it was a job.

Maybe it was your agreement with spidey's views?

Exploitation of salaried workers, huh.  Ever come in a few minutes late or leave a few minutes early and not get your pay docked?  Always take a 1 hour lunch?

Expectations of salaried employees are different than for hourly employees. In exchange for exempt status, you get a lot more leeway than hourly employees.

In your company's case, it sounds like they made the right business decision in not having hourly workers count inventory.

186075[/snapback]

Agreed; while I generally do work more than 40 hours a week, not having to punch a clock is really nice, as is taking the occasional long lunch or leaving early. Today, for example, I went out to lunch with some coworkers for about 1.5 hours, then left at 2pm (I get in at roughly 6am). Last Thursday, I left work at 11am to get ready to drive to Green Bay. I also took Monday off as "comp time" because of the 60 hour weeks I put in the previous 2-3 weeks. It can definately be abused both ways (forcing employees to routinely work 60 hours isn't right, nor is employees leaving early all the time; where my wife works, there's a couple people who always leave early, but refuse to stay late...)

CW