Kiper's Draft Report and my conclusion

I've been engaged with others at this site regarding Buffalo's first draft pick and have enjoyed the debate. I've just received Mel Kiper Jr's 2012 Draft Report and thought some of you might be interested in what Kiper writes about Buffalo and some draft prospects.

Regarding draft priorities, Kiper lists Left tackle, Wide Receiver, and Outside Linebacker as Buffalo's top priorities in that order.

Left Tackle - Kiper references Hairston saying he viewed him as more of an option on the right side coming out of college. He now views him as a career backup.

Wide receiver - Kiper sees David Nelson as the second receiver on Buffalo's roster but says he deserves to be on the roster just not in a starting capacity.

Outside Linebacker - Kiper, regarding Morrison and Barnett, says he is not sold on either being a good fit in the new scheme since both have enjoyed the majority of their success in the middle but are now slated to man the strong and weak OLB positions.

Looking at the players that are most likely to be available at the 10th pick, I have focused on Riley Reiff, Michael Floyd, and Luke Kuechly as possible Buffalo selections for this posting.

Kiper says this about Reiff; a top ten guy in this draft. You can make the argument that he could be the top offensive tackle in the draft, ahead of Kalil, because he has the ability to project to right tackle (suggesting, though not saying) that Kalil does not have that ability. Reiff has the mentality for the pro game; he's smart, with a great desire to dominate and take the defensive end to the ground on every play. He has that wrestling background and he loves to play, practice, and work on his game. Reiff is an outstanding football player and (Kiper) likes that he comes out of Iowa having worked with Kirk Ferentz. He is one of the elite players in this draft.

About Floyd; Notre Dame didn't have consistent QB play in 2011 yet Floyd still put up outstanding numbers. Kiper's one concern is that he didn't always come up big in key points of games, despite his impressive statistical totals. He'd like to see more assertiveness out of Floyd because he has a ton of ability but he hasn't yet maximized it. "There is something missing with Floyd. Yet, had he operated with the right QB, you might have been looking at a top 5-7 pick overall".

Regarding Kuechly; When you talk about a tackling machine, Kuechly is the definition. His read/react ability is second to none and he is an excellent tackler. He is a complete player, recording tackles for loss, interceptions, anything you can ask for. He has gotten bigger during his career at BC and is now built like an NFL middle linebacker. He is a student of the game and acts like a coach on the field. He is certainly one of the top ten players in this draft at any position.

So; who does Buddy select? Reading Kiper, I'm leaning toward taking Reiff first since Buffalo may not have a legit LT on it's roster. If he's not there, then Kuechly, and if he's not there, then Floyd thinking that Kuechly is in a class by himself, and this draft has good receivers that should be available in the second. Kiper's mock, in fact, has Buffalo selecting Brian Quick, WR, Appalachian St. in the second.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt like reiff/quick combo and cant see buddy picking either. Reiff is a stretch.. will start at RT in nfl which is not our need, and quick is anything but quick. He has no seperation skills, we need a big decently FAST WR. I would much rather see floyd first then the next best LT or kueckly first and randle 2nd if he falls then LT in the 3 rounds

I've been engaged with others at this site regarding Buffalo's first draft pick and have enjoyed the debate. I've just received Mel Kiper Jr's 2012 Draft Report and thought some of you might be interested in what Kiper writes about Buffalo and some draft prospects.

Regarding draft priorities, Kiper lists Left tackle, Wide Receiver, and Outside Linebacker as Buffalo's top priorities in that order.

Left Tackle - Kiper references Hairston saying he viewed him as more of an option on the right side coming out of college. He now views him as a career backup.

Wide receiver - Kiper sees David Nelson as the second receiver on Buffalo's roster but says he deserves to be on the roster just not in a starting capacity.

Outside Linebacker - Kiper, regarding Morrison and Barnett, says he is not sold on either being a good fit in the new scheme since both have enjoyed the majority of their success in the middle but are now slated to man the strong and weak OLB positions.

Looking at the players that are most likely to be available at the 10th pick, I have focused on Riley Reiff, Michael Floyd, and Luke Kuechly as possible Buffalo selections for this posting.

Kiper says this about Reiff; a top ten guy in this draft. You can make the argument that he could be the top offensive tackle in the draft, ahead of Kalil, because he has the ability to project to right tackle (suggesting, though not saying) that Kalil does not have that ability. Reiff has the mentality for the pro game; he's smart, with a great desire to dominate and take the defensive end to the ground on every play. He has that wrestling background and he loves to play, practice, and work on his game. Reiff is an outstanding football player and (Kiper) likes that he comes out of Iowa having worked with Kirk Ferentz. He is one of the elite players in this draft.

About Floyd; Notre Dame didn't have consistent QB play in 2011 yet Floyd still put up outstanding numbers. Kiper's one concern is that he didn't always come up big in key points of games, despite his impressive statistical totals. He'd like to see more assertiveness out of Floyd because he has a ton of ability but he hasn't yet maximized it. "There is something missing with Floyd. Yet, had he operated with the right QB, you might have been looking at a top 5-7 pick overall".

Regarding Kuechly; When you talk about a tackling machine, Kuechly is the definition. His read/react ability is second to none and he is an excellent tackler. He is a complete player, recording tackles for loss, interceptions, anything you can ask for. He has gotten bigger during his career at BC and is now built like an NFL middle linebacker. He is a student of the game and acts like a coach on the field. He is certainly one of the top ten players in this draft at any position.

So; who does Buddy select? Reading Kiper, I'm leaning toward taking Reiff first since Buffalo may not have a legit LT on it's roster. If he's not there, then Kuechly, and if he's not there, then Floyd thinking that Kuechly is in a class by himself, and this draft has good receivers that should be available in the second. Kiper's mock, in fact, has Buffalo selecting Brian Quick, WR, Appalachian St. in the second.

Thanks for the post. I think his analysis is spot on regarding OT,WR and OLB. Hairston is not good enough at LT. The receiving corp is deep but not good enough. The OLB's are not good enough. There is room for improvement in all these areas. The Bills defense ranked 32nd and 28th the last two years. Clearly, not good enough. I would draft a LT in round 1 if I were drafting for Buffalo.

Order Matters! Look who's available in each round. Which is the best draft of the 6 combinations???

LT,WR,OLB (RD1: Reiff-Adams-Glenn) (RD2: Alshon Jeffery-Sanu) (RD3: Sean Spence-Audie Cole)

LT,OLB,WR (RD1: Reiff-Adams-Glenn) (RD2: Lavonte David, Wagner) (RD3: Givens, Toon, Rainey, Jenkins)

OLB,LT,WR: (RD1: Kuechly-Ingram,Zach Brown) (RD2:Kelechi Osemele) (RD3: Givens, Toon, Rainey, Jenkins)

OLB,WR,LT: (RD1: Kuechly-Ingram,Zach Brown) (RD2: Alshon Jeffery-Sanu) (RD3: Sanders*, Bergstrom, Mosley)

WR,LT,OLB: (RD1:Floyd, Stephen Hill) (RD2:Kelechi Osemele) (RD3: Sean Spence-Audie Cole)

WR,OLB,LT: (RD1:Floyd, Stephen Hill) (RD2: Lavonte David, Wagner) (RD3: Sanders*, Bergstrom, Mosley)

*Likely drafted earlier than our RD3 pick

I conclude from this that the Bills need to get their LT first, OLB second, WR or TE third.

I was lost after Hairston career backup. Based on what? a rookie season with a lockout? and Morrison and Barnett both have an excellent body of work behind them. heck i can see them excelling on their respective outsides. the are both veterans And skilled play callers. these guys know the game. Barnett lead the team in tackles and Morrison will get his chance to show off his reading and hitting skills. the Kiper is not tuned in to buffalobills it seems to me. no offense meant.

1334516125[/url]' post='2437409']

Order Matters! Look who's available in each round. Which is the best draft of the 6 combinations???

LT,WR,OLB (RD1: Reiff-Adams-Glenn) (RD2: Alshon Jeffery-Sanu) (RD3: Sean Spence-Audie Cole)

LT,OLB,WR (RD1: Reiff-Adams-Glenn) (RD2: Lavonte David, Wagner) (RD3: Givens, Toon, Rainey, Jenkins)

OLB,LT,WR: (RD1: Kuechly-Ingram,Zach Brown) (RD2:Kelechi Osemele) (RD3: Givens, Toon, Rainey, Jenkins)

OLB,WR,LT: (RD1: Kuechly-Ingram,Zach Brown) (RD2: Alshon Jeffery-Sanu) (RD3: Sanders*, Bergstrom, Mosley)

WR,LT,OLB: (RD1:Floyd, Stephen Hill) (RD2:Kelechi Osemele) (RD3: Sean Spence-Audie Cole)

WR,OLB,LT: (RD1:Floyd, Stephen Hill) (RD2: Lavonte David, Wagner) (RD3: Sanders*, Bergstrom, Mosley)

I conclude from this that the Bills need to get their LT first, OLB second, WR or TE third.

I figured there would be better options in the 3rd at Wr. Are Criner and Mcnutt of the board already?

I'd go with the last combo. Floyd and David would make me very happy. I wouldn't be very happy about LT, but it's something to address next year. I can see Floyd and David being special players for us. That's what we need, special players.

ok for me if we take either Ingram, Hill, or my Glenn in the first. Well illustrated sir.

ideal from that would be 1 glenn 2 jeffery 3 cole

Edited by 3rdand12

Reiff will not make it at LT in the NFL. Just say no.

Keuchly is not going to be the guy because they will wait till the later rounds to get LB's, later than the 2nd that is. Unless someone falls out of the first they had rated highly.

Floyd will be the guy if he is there @ #10, IMO. Kiper's analysis is contradictory on Floyd. He talks about the inconsistent QB play, which was wildly inconsistent, but then knocks Floyd for not being able to take over games at "key points"? Yeah, that makes sense. You have QB's who cannot read defenses and get the ball to the open man consistently, but it is the WR's fault he couldn't take over. Stupid. Floyd is a beast.

I also think that we have our eye on Kirkpatrick TBH. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the guy in the 1st. After that I think we wold go OT in the 2nd, LB in the 3rd, and maybe target a guy like Greg Childs in the 4th. I do think we get our LT in the 2nd-4th somewhere and not in the 1st. Guys like Bobbie Massie from Ole Miss or James Brown from Troy are two that seem to fit the mold to me. I also think that if Cordy Glenn somehow makes it to the 2nd Round we will be on the phones trying to move up to get him.

Edited by H2o

I agree, totally, with Astro - we need more than anything to be sure that the combination of players we're selecting in the first 3-4 rounds will all be eligible starters - rather than getting a heck of a player in round 1, but not getting, consequently, as good of players at the other need positions in the later rounds.

I'd be fine with LT, OLB, WR in that order. And I would LOVE it if we could manage a Reiff,Adams,Martin,Glenn hit in round 1, followed by Lavonte David in round 2! He is the type of OLB we're looking for. Audie Cole, in the 3rd, wouldn't be bad, either. And, I like Mosley in the 3rd, as well. It's up to Nix to make sure we're getting the best combination - and I can't wait to see how he pulls this one off.

I figured there would be better options in the 3rd at Wr. Are Criner and Mcnutt of the board already?

I'd go with the last combo. Floyd and David would make me very happy. I wouldn't be very happy about LT, but it's something to address next year. I can see Floyd and David being special players for us. That's what we need, special players.

Every player isn't listed because some will be taken before the next Bills' pick. In the yet-unpublished CMD Mock #15 at DraftTek, Criner goes the pick before us at #40 in RD2. Criner went to Indy at #34 on the mock that's up there as I write this.

Yeah lets pick a RT 10th in rieff and wait til the 3rd round when theres no good receiver left :) if we want a true no.2 WR we will get one in the first or 2nd. Mcnutt toon jenkins childs all have major holes in there game thats why there considerd 3rd and 4th round picks, we need to go WR first or DEFENSE an then the other 2nd pick. We can get a better T later in the draft than martin/reiff/adams at 10

I was lost after Hairston career backup. Based on what? a rookie season with a lockout? and Morrison and Barnett both have an excellent body of work behind them. heck i can see them excelling on their respective outsides. the are both veterans And skilled play callers. these guys know the game. Barnett lead the team in tackles and Morrison will get his chance to show off his reading and hitting skills. the Kiper is not tuned in to buffalobills it seems to me. no offense meant.

The fact, however, is that LT is one of the two biggest needs on the Bills besides WR, and we're looking for a starter to replace Hairston, so that he can become, a back-up, albeit a valuable one who can come in and play both sides. And everyone including Nix and the Bills acknowledges that fact. Nix said flat out "we are drafting a top tackle AND another developmental tackle".

The fact is also, besides 1 LT and 1 WR, our biggest need is at LB and specifically OLB. And the fact is, what Kiper said is true, that the majority of Barnett's and Morrison's careers have been in the middle. So it HAS to be a question mark almost by definition. I love Barnett and he played a little outside 4-3 backer before, a few years ago. I also very much like Morrison, and glad we signed him. But he is clearly a question mark, didn't really play last season, played poorly the season before, and hasn't played the position we're asking him to play since he was a rookie 7-8 years ago or so. So I think the analysis is pretty accurate. I also think it's pretty much consensus that the 3rd biggest need for the Bills is LB.

Yeah lets pick a RT 10th in rieff and wait til the 3rd round when theres no good receiver left :) if we want a true no.2 WR we will get one in the first or 2nd. Mcnutt toon jenkins childs all have major holes in there game thats why there considerd 3rd and 4th round picks, we need to go WR first or DEFENSE an then the other 2nd pick. We can get a better T later in the draft than martin/reiff/adams at 10

I don't think the LT they pick will be Reiff. Don't worry.

A true No.2 can be found by the Bills in the 4th-7th. Ask Stevie Johnson (7th), Marcus Easley (4th), and Donald Jones (UDFA).

The fact, however, is that LT is one of the two biggest needs on the Bills besides WR, and we're looking for a starter to replace Hairston, so that he can become, a back-up, albeit a valuable one who can come in and play both sides. And everyone including Nix and the Bills acknowledges that fact. Nix said flat out "we are drafting a top tackle AND another developmental tackle".

The fact is also, besides 1 LT and 1 WR, our biggest need is at LB and specifically OLB. And the fact is, what Kiper said is true, that the majority of Barnett's and Morrison's careers have been in the middle. So it HAS to be a question mark almost by definition. I love Barnett and he played a little outside 4-3 backer before, a few years ago. I also very much like Morrison, and glad we signed him. But he is clearly a question mark, didn't really play last season, played poorly the season before, and hasn't played the position we're asking him to play since he was a rookie 7-8 years ago or so. So I think the analysis is pretty accurate. I also think it's pretty much consensus that the 3rd biggest need for the Bills is LB.

I was not in question that we need a Left Tackle. And we absolutely need to challenge the position in the draft. Just not sure that we dont have one. Starter that is. And i don't care for the early write off. Of course i should leave that to the Bills guys that worked him up last year to decide. I hope you know what i mean Kelly. in regard to the line backers.. they are all in question really due to the alignment changing. Sheppard actually is my biggest concern!

1334520155[/url]' post='2437451']

I don't think the LT they pick will be Reiff. Don't worry.

A true No.2 can be found by the Bills in the 4th-7th. Ask Stevie Johnson (7th), Marcus Easley (4th), and Donald Jones (UDFA).

Thanks for the clarification on Criner. I figured he'd be off the board, bit I've seen him go in 3rd in a few mocks. I think he's a 2nd rd talent.

Is this sarcasm? I wouldn't rate jones and easley as true number 2s. As of now, they're not even true #3s in my book. A true anything can be found in rds 4-7.

Edited by NewEra

This is how I did my mock, and imho, the best talent would be a Floyd/David/Mosley draft. I dont see Mosley being that far behind Glenn/Adams/Osemele/etc. Snag another OT with 1 of our remaining 7 picks (like Potter) and let them all battle it out.

This is how I did my mock, and imho, the best talent would be a Floyd/David/Mosley draft. I dont see Mosley being that far behind Glenn/Adams/Osemele/etc. Snag another OT with 1 of our remaining 7 picks (like Potter) and let them all battle it out.

I'd be ecstatic with Floyd/David/Mosely. Potter maybe RD4? Late Round developmental LT's that will find a team (hopefully the Bills) are Jeff Adams and James Carmon, IMHO.

Jeff Adams (OT Columbia) RD6

The fastest learner in Mobile shouldn't be any surprise--received an Ivy League education in college, but arrived to practices no more than an average Ivy League football player. On Monday, nearly everything I wrote about Adams was negative. He looked awkward in his stance, had no punch in pass protection and bent at the waste. However, it's important to remember this is the best coaching Adams has ever gotten and apparently he soaked it up like a sponge. He was stoning defenders in the Wednesday practice and looked like a solid mid-round developmental prospect.

OT James Carmon: Mississippi State (6-6, 334) RD7

He’s not ready to play tackle in the NFL yet. However, when you look at his size, length, athleticism and upside, you have to think if he can continue to develop at the position he has the skill set to be an NFL lineman. And I’d certainly be willing to roll the dice on a talent like Carmon later in the draft. NFL Fits: Bills

Edited by Astrobot

PLEASE tell me what major hole is in mcnutts game?? IS IT ABILITY TO SEPARATE? NO..... IS IT HIS BUTTERFINGERS HELL NO. OR IS IT BECAUSE EVRY YEAR HE GOT BETTER AND BETTER SWITCHING FROM THE QB POSITION to eventually breaking the schools records and being 1st team all big ten. McNUTT is better suited for the pro type offence than blackmon whio played in a pass happy 5 Wr set. Look at both stats from last year and you tell me the MAJOR DIFFERENCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzFm2FweXHE

Edited by brianhawkeye2012