my biggest fear

i like fitz but is he our tony romo? good but not great, can he take us all the way, its a make or break year for him and i hope he has worked on his arm strength so he can throw the log ball better and he can take us to the playoffs and someday the Superbowl ........ GO BILLS!!!

He Mos Def needs too quit throwing RAINBOW long BALLS !!! :w00t::death:

Maybe he doesn't throw long accurately because it takes actual time in the pocket to do that?

Besides, if you look at a lot of QBs, a good proportion of their long throws aren't actually right on target, they require the receiver to, you know, actually make a play on it. Farve sure got a lot of help from his receivers to make him look great.

Unfortunately we have to go back in history to find that type of pass. Most other starting QB's have several during each year. Ahhh ...The difference between a top QB and a journeyman. I just wish we would attempt a new journey and let Fitz start on another journey sooner rather than later. When you have 0 % chance to win a Superbowl with this QB you should continually search and not be satisfied with mediocrity. Too many dumb mistakes without the accuracy to compensate. That's why we shouldn't draft Kirk Cousins. Both are book smart and have a very low football I.Q.

Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Mark Rypien, Jeff Hostetler all say hello. And if your going to say "ya, you can only say that about those QBs" I could go back really far in time and tale the time to figure out who else has won that either wasn't that good or was defenately the worse of the 2 QBs in any particular SB.

Namath < Unitas

Manning < Brady x2

Brees < Manning

Brady (at the time) < Warner

Brady (at the time) < McNabb

Rothlisberger < Warner

Rothlisberger (at the time) < Hasselbeck

the list can go in all day. The bigger picture is who had the better team at the time and more importantly the better defense at the time. Overall I'd say the team as a whole means more than just the QB.

The Steelers x2, Patriots x3, Giants x3, Ravens can all vouch for that. How is it that the Pats and Steelers won 5 SBs between them on defense but when thier offenses were dominant they couldn't do it? The 18-1 Pats and Tom Brady say hello.

That's all

There's no reason to believe he can IMO. Sure, there's a "chance", but it's slim to none in my book. Prior to Eli winning his first, he was still a good qb. He had winning seasons and can make ALL the throws consistantly. Fitz on the other hand, has 0 winning season and has trouble throwing the 15-25 yard and deep ball consistantly (yes, it's true). If there's no reason to believe that fitz is

incapable of winning a SB, the same can be said of every

QB in the league that has a competitive defense. He has

accomplished absolutely nothing, minus a player of the

month award. He's shown flashes of some really good

things. So has Tyler thigpen.

Eli was a good qb before he won the superbowl? Are you serious? Might wanna go check some numbers on that. He was in the bottom half of the league in most statistical categories before that superbowl and pretty much hasn't done much worth talking about until this season actually. He led the league in interceptions last year and all this mediocrity hes accomplished his whole career is with 5x the amount of weapons that fitz has ever had around him.

i like fitz but is he our tony romo? good but not great, can he take us all the way, its a make or break year for him and i hope he has worked on his arm strength so he can throw the log ball better and he can take us to the playoffs and someday the Superbowl ........ GO BILLS!!!

All the way......we're just trying to scratch the surface of the post season, not even looking for a first round bye just a last seed wild card spot.......All the way:beer:

That's it right there. This is his only problem, which also leads to many ints because of his inaccuracy due to using all his might to wing the ball. If he did we're all set, if not we are done. Many on here think that QBS shouldn't lift weights but that is just as dumb a concept as when they said no one should lift weights cuz it will make you "muscle bound". As long as he continues to work on his mobility, flexibility and throw the ball, that strength he gained would go along way towards making him an elite QB. Also there is more than just weights, Drew Brees uses the TRX system which a combination of bodyweight/gymnastics that train the muscles in all plains of direction and his arm strength and accuracy has gone from mediocre to great.

But I just don't see Fitz doing this as his physique shows no strength training whatsoever and after this many years in the league if he hasn't figured that out by now I doubt he ever will.

That's it right there. This is his only problem, which also leads to many ints because of his inaccuracy due to using all his might to wing the ball. If he did we're all set, if not we are done. Many on here think that QBS shouldn't lift weights but that is just as dumb a concept as when they said no one should lift weights cuz it will make you "muscle bound". As long as he continues to work on his mobility, flexibility and throw the ball, that strength he gained would go along way towards making him an elite QB. Also there is more than just weights, Drew Brees uses the TRX system which a combination of bodyweight/gymnastics that train the muscles in all plains of direction and his arm strength and accuracy has gone from mediocre to great.

But I just don't see Fitz doing this as his physique shows no strength training whatsoever and after this many years in the league if he hasn't figured that out by now I doubt he ever will.

Two points.

1) Lee (Bills new QB coach) and Gailey are both on record saying something like "people think it's arm strength, it's not, it's how you set your feet". I have never played QB, so I don't know, but in other athletic endeavors sometimes people point to arm strength when it's really how the whole body is used eg, advice to young basketball players "bend your knees when you shoot" and the "Swish" stuff about improved accuracy if you're using your arm only to aim the ball and the rest of your body to provide extra distance. It seems plausible to me that Fitz "lack of arm strength" may really be "trying to rely on arm strength because he was never taught how to use his whole body effectively". Remember he didn't attend a top football school and spent his NFL career as a 2nd or 3rd string, not positions that typically get a lot of developmental attention. I invite anyone who has played QB to comment on this.

I would hope he and Lee are living together this off season, or at least sending video and having conference calls. If not, I hope Fitz is using some of his new contract $$ to invest in the best personal QB coach on the market, but he'd be better to listen to one voice (Lee) if that voice can help him.

2) There were a number of comments at the start of training camp that Fitz had really bulked up in the off-season. You could see it in his neck and shoulders. So I think he did perform strength training. It decreased through the season, so he probably stopped at some point in the season - possibly due to injuries.

Two things to BB and Hopeful on this general topic of strength and mechanics.

Like you guys I'm not an expert although I've worked physical labor and played sports for over 4 decades and counting… and am injury-free.

One, I do believe a guy as smart as Fitz with good fundamental coaching from a guy like Lee does have the ability, even later in his career, to improve his form, technique, and results. I think it's very plausible that heretofore he has not been exposed to the best coaching from a QB coach perspective. Gailey is reputed to be an offensive mastermind… which is not the same thing as a quarterback mechanic.

QB prospects don't work out before the draft with guys like Gailey and Weiss and Shanahan (offensive gurus). They work out with guys like David Cutcliffe and Ron Jenkins, and Chris Weinke (quarterback gurus or "whisperers" if you will). I'm confident that Lee will greatly improve Fitz' mechanics and results.

Two, from a strength standpoint, there are a billion different types of workouts, job-specific and otherwise and hundreds of different body types and athletes. It's my observation that one size does not fit all… too many people try to simplify the world by making broad generalizations about… well, about everything.

But there are definite advantages to conventional strength training including building up mass and thickness to help withstand the physical pounding of the job.

Physics applies to sports and being a bit stronger and heavier is not a bad thing for a guy standing back there trying to absorb punishment. There are many aspects to injury avoidance (how to absorb energy, how to fall, etc) and having more mass, all things being equal, is helpful.

I agree that arm strength alone is not dramatically benefitted by weight training but I think other aspects of quarterbacking is.