Jenkins big talent at CB possible second round pick

dayman

Plus going to north Alabama is supposed to be a come clean and let's fix this Type of experience - he lied to the coach and said he had no kids.

not only that, Jenkins continued to smoke pot despite the second chance. Concerned about character, and added him to Drafttek lockout list with Burfict.

not only that, Jenkins continued to smoke pot despite the second chance. Concerned about character, and added him to Drafttek lockout list with Burfict.

i hear you - for me the pot issue is more about whether hes dumb enough to get caught regularly (which he was) than if a guy is actually smoking (i think a huge percentage do). though i do chalk up doing it regularly after being caught so many times as awful judgement.

Still say you would all be thrilled if we actually did pick him in the second despite concerns now. Character a bit overrated. You can't have the team fall apart but you can bring in a guy here and there who is super talented that needs a little more of a hands-on approach off the field.

Doesn't he also have four kids with three different mothers? Seems lack "poor judgement" and this kid go hand in hand.

Give the kid a break. He's no Calvin Murphy...

With our group of solid veterans to steer him in the right direction, he should prove to be a steal in the second.

Yeah, with McLuv'n likely to be cut, they could spend their time tutoring Jenkins...

Absolutely.

It shows a complete lack of judgement and maturity. You could argue that having one or even two unplanned kids before you graduate college is stupid...but forgivable because young people make mistakes. Granted, these are life altering mistakes...but they're still mistakes. I could actually believe that.

But four kids with three women before you're 24? Coupled with not being able to stop smoking pot even though you told everyone it was ruining your career?

Whats going to happen when he pockets that first paycheck? Is all of his stupid behavior going to simply stop when he has all of that cash? No, quite the opposite...its going to make things much much worse. What about the mothers of the kids he fathered already, won't they be hitting him up for child support?

Bad juju and red flags all over this kid, let someone else have this grenade go off in their laps. I'm not arguing his talent...but I want nothing to do with him and the baggage he brings.

Character with no talent gets you 12 years with no playoffs

Janoris Jenkins “kept smoking” at North Alabama:

NFL Network’s Albert Breer reports that Jenkins has revealed in pre-draft team interviews that he didn’t stop smoking at the Division II school. While the truthfulness is somewhat honorable, league executives weren’t exactly pleased to hear it.

“This is a multiple offender of the drug policy in college, and it’s not like there were no character concerns at North Alabama,” one AFC personnel executive told Breer. “He had multiple opportunities to get away from it. He didn’t at Florida, and he went to North Alabama and he wasn’t clean there. … It was more of the same.”

Several, if not most, NFL evaluators consider Jenkins the second best on-field cornerback prospect in the 2012 draft, behind only LSU’s Morris Claiborne. But Jenkins may not even be drafted in the first round.

“He gets to North Alabama, and he’s still smoking because he’s got this big-fish, little-pond thing going,” one NFC executive said. “I don’t see him going in the first round, and a lot of teams have him off their board completely.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/12/janoris-jenkins-kept-smoking-at-north-alabama/

From everything I've read, he seems like he'd be a REALLY good cover corner. However, that's mitigated by problems with the law, alimony, etc. If he's still there in the third round, I'd take him, but anywhere before that is too much of a risk. You don't know when or how long you'd have him, and he's constantly one more screw-up away from going to jail.

I actually think that this is a much larger problem than the pot use. Habitual screw-ups to this point. I still love his skillset though.

I think you're wrong because of what Haplo said above… the constant possibility that he'll fail the drug tests and become suspended… chronically even. On the other hand there's no suspension for having children out of wedlock… and there's no suspension for being a deadbeat dad. You could actually argue that having kids to support is good motivation for an athlete. The pot thing is a much bigger deal in my book.

The real discussion is what rounds do you take him off the board for?

Kidding aside I'd take the risk w/ a 2nd round pick. If the Pat's get him, I'm not too worried, Steve will own him like he owns Revis Island.

The further he dropped in the draft the more appealing this player is going to look.

We DO have 2 4th round picks.

Burfict has off-the-field issues? I didn't know that.

I thought all his issues were on the field.

I think he's worth a look in rd 3. Too risky for 2 imo

I still think id take him

In what round? That's the question.

On the other hand there's no suspension for having children out of wedlock… and there's no suspension for being a deadbeat dad. You could actually argue that having kids to support is good motivation for an athlete. The pot thing is a much bigger deal in my book.

You would think someone would sit him down (maybe T.O. lol) and explain that this money is going to go to the baby moma b/c the law is insane and it take 10s of thousands of dollars to raise a small baby each month if his dad is in the NFL...as a result you need a big second contract and all your pay checks so no weed. I mean...in college it's the risk of making a fool out of yourself and dropping in the draft in the NFL it's the risk of being a complete failure and ending up broke and out of the league.

Do you really care about his judgment regarding women though?

It's not the poor judgement regarding women that's the major concern for the club.

It's the fact that once your babydaddy goes pro, the women tend to Lawyer Up and get serious about wanting child support.

All the court appearances and resulting kerfluffle tend to be a major distraction/energy sink