Early Bills-Steelers predictions

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all fairness, this Steeler guy isn't so bad. He is still prodding the bear though, and I am happy for that.

Clang, clang, clang...

183769[/snapback]

He's harmless.

I don't mind people from other teams coming here as long as they can intelligently discuss football here, and this person seems able to do that.

Thanks, guys. Yinz aren't so bad yourselfs. The lot of ya.

Although reading these threads. It must REALLY suck to have to be scoreboard watching the last week of the season. I would just worry about YOUR team. the rest will be what it is.

That got me thinking. I don't think the steelers will come at you all that much offensively or defensively. In case you DO make it in. We want to have lots left in our bag of tricks. You will have to shot your wad just to get in there.

Thanks, guys.  Yinz aren't so bad yourselfs.  The lot of ya. 

Although reading these threads.  It must REALLY suck to have to be scoreboard watching the last week of the season.  I would just worry about YOUR team.  the rest will be what it is. 

That got me thinking.  I don't think the steelers will come at you all that much offensively or defensively.  In case you DO make it in.  We want to have lots left in our bag of tricks.  You will have to shot your wad just to get in there.

183800[/snapback]

The bye is huge. There is no doubt about that.

In the Bills case all they can do is worry about this game. If they lose and Denver and the Jets lose the Bills are going to be thinking about could have been for many months.

Go Bills. Clang, clang, clang, clang....

Bills 17

Squeelers 13

in a brutal football game.

Bills will set the tone by being physical to start,

Steelers will have no choice but to respond.

Even without some starters, I think it's a war.

Unfortunately, no playoffs, hope I'm wrong & wishing for the best. ;)

GO BILLS!!!

Bills 26

Steelers 17

Sadly, I just don't believe the Martzes have the intelligence of strategy nor the OLine/DLine necessary to beat the Jets.

And I don't believe the Colts at 75% can beat the Broncos at 100%. Not in Denver, barring some crazy dumb plays by the denver offense.

Maybe I just don't have enough cowbell.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
Oh great... You were able to pull the few upsets... Hooray.  looking at your Bills team, I think you would be the last to talk about the playoffs/Superbowls.

So even though my team has beaten the 2 previously undefeated teams this year and the favorites to get to the SB. We have the #1 seed and are unbeaten in 13 games.  I should worry?  At least now I know who some Bills fans think...

183695[/snapback]

I think it's a 'what have you done for me lately' comment...

You sound like Miami fans when you say that... they haven't won a Super Bowl in ***31 years***, and you haven't won one in ***26 years***!!! PLEASE... that is just a DISTRACTION from the REAL point...

The FAVORED TEAM with the GAUDY RECORD seldom wins a Super Bowl anymore... the playing field is so level, that your team IS NOT SAFE, and you should realize that. But continue on your delusional path of grandeur, and you'll be eating crow soon enough if you happen to lose to San Diego AGAIN.

Just watch.

I think it's a 'what have you done for me lately' comment...

You sound like Miami fans when you say that... they haven't won a Super Bowl in ***31 years***, and you haven't won one in ***26 years***!!! PLEASE... that is just a DISTRACTION from the REAL point...

The FAVORED TEAM with the GAUDY RECORD seldom wins a Super Bowl anymore... the playing field is so level, that your team IS NOT SAFE, and you should realize that. But continue on your delusional path of grandeur, and you'll be eating crow soon enough if you happen to lose to San Diego AGAIN.

Just watch.

183843[/snapback]

Ahhh so the Pats were NOT favored to win the SB last year???

Oh and the Steeers WERE favored?? I am not riding any delusional path. 14-1 is no illusion. If you want to talk delusional. try looking at the teams you have beaten then look at the teams that have beaten you... Records usually don't lie.

BTW I would rather be a has been than a never will be...

The Bills won AFL Championships in the 60's. They mean about as much today as the Steelers's SB wins of the 70's. In other words, they mean DIDDLY and meant nothing when the Steelers were choking at home twice in AFCCG, and in the SB against the Cowboys.

As for this game, as I said, you guys were barely squeaking by bad teams WITH Ben (who will be out), Bettis (who will be out), and Burress (who WAS out and WILL be out for this game). If you think that Maddox is as good as Ben or that the Steelers' offense without those guys will suddenly start playing at a higher level, you're fooling yourself. And the Bills' ST's are still WAY better than the Steelers', and that's the reason your team almost (but didn't) lost to the hapless Giants and their rookie QB. As far as I know, none of the guys the Steelers are planning on resting play ST's, correct?

So congrats on your team's success. I cheered for them beating the Pats on Halloween and think they deserved HFA throughout the playoffs. However WRT this weekend's coming game, I don't think they have ANY advantage over the Bills in any area, given their plan to rest key starters, having no motivation to play hard, and the game being in Buffalo.

The Bills won AFL Championships in the 60's.  They mean about as much today as the Steelers's SB wins of the 70's.  In other words, they mean DIDDLY and meant nothing when the Steelers were choking at home twice in AFCCG, and in the SB against the Cowboys.

As for this game, as I said, you guys were barely squeaking by bad teams WITH Ben (who will be out), Bettis (who will be out), and Burress (who WAS out and WILL be out for this game).  If you think that Maddox is as good as Ben or that the Steelers' offense without those guys will suddenly start playing at a higher level, you're fooling yourself.  And the Bills' ST's are still WAY better than the Steelers', and that's the reason your team almost (but didn't) lost to the hapless Giants and their rookie QB.  As far as I know, none of the guys the Steelers are planning on resting play ST's, correct?

So congrats on your team's success.  I cheered for them beating the Pats on Halloween and think they deserved HFA throughout the playoffs.  However WRT this weekend's coming game, I don't think they have ANY advantage over the Bills in any area, given their plan to rest key starters, having no motivation to play hard, and the game being in Buffalo.

184235[/snapback]

I don't think I ever really went back to all the Steelers SB victories. But whatever you say.

The thing everyone here seems to forget is our #1 defense. and your what 24th ranked offense? I have not heard much except for special teams. You may have forgotten about Randel el. Who is a pretty good returner in his own right. We do have some injured ST players right now who hurt us, but even if you get the ball on our 45. How are you going to get any further? I look for a close game even with some of our 2nd/3rd stringers.

I don't think I ever really went back to all the Steelers SB victories.  But whatever you say. 

The thing everyone here seems to forget is our #1 defense.  and your what 24th ranked offense?  I have not heard much except for special teams.  You may have forgotten about Randel el. Who is a pretty good returner in his own right.  We do have some injured ST players right now who hurt us, but even if you get the ball on our 45.  How are you going to get any further?  I look for a close game even with some of our 2nd/3rd stringers.

184264[/snapback]

Why are you on this board in the first place? If I were you, I'd be worrying about choking AT HOME AGAIN in the playoffs.

You're gonna get your ass kicked this week for sure. And in two weeks, you need to start worrying about whether you guys can actually win in Pittsburgh. After all, it's been proven more often than not since 1979 that you SUCK at home in the playoffs!

Go away!

I don't think I ever really went back to all the Steelers SB victories.  But whatever you say. 

The thing everyone here seems to forget is our #1 defense.  and your what 24th ranked offense?  I have not heard much except for special teams.  You may have forgotten about Randel el. Who is a pretty good returner in his own right.  We do have some injured ST players right now who hurt us, but even if you get the ball on our 45.  How are you going to get any further?  I look for a close game even with some of our 2nd/3rd stringers.

The Bills have the 3rd ranked defense, which has given up 100 yards less than the Steelers, despite playing in a much tougher division. How is your Ben-, Bettis-, and Burress-less offense going to do against them? I figure significantly worse than you fancy the Bills will do against your #1 defense, who will be playing on the road without some starters, and on the road where they're more dominant. As for ST's, Randel el is in the middle to lower 1/3 in kickoff and punt returns whereas McGee is one of the top returnmen in the NFL. Throw in motivation and it's a loss for the Steelers.

Why am I here??? Aren't our teams playing each other this week??

Yea, you're divsion is tougher? How'd you fare against the Ravens? You had your shot and lost. You would've needed our help last week to give you a shot at the playoffs this week. we've taken care of every team in your division as well. Or D will not be depleted. Scott, who was are starter will be filling in for Townsand Who Broke his hand. Harrison has done a great job in place of Haggins. Porter, Polamalu and Farrior will all be in as well as Hoke, Smith and Van Oelhoffen.

I wouldn't worry about your special teams. Gardocki Hasn't needed to punt in the last 2 games. Ward, el, Plax, Duce, Krieder, Haynes will all be playing as well. For awhile anyway. It is not a given either way right now.

Oh.. and We are 8-0 at home THIS YEAR. What else matters?

Cowher ultimately to blame

By Goose Goslin

FOR THE TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Sunday, February 10, 2002

Don't try to kid anyone: You are still steamed about the Steelers blowing that AFC title game to the Patriots, aren't you? You won't be able to stand the sight of Bill Cowher, Kordell Stewart and Co. at the Pro Bowl today, will you? It will make you choke, right? And it won't be because the Pro Bowl is a lousy game, will it?

The way I look at it, though, it was just as much the Patriots taking that game as the Steelers blowing it. Talk all you want about terrible special teams. Talk all you want about how Jerome Bettis was misused and that Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala was not used at all. The bottom line is the Steelers much-heralded offensive and defensive lines got their backsides kicked at the line of scrimmage.

One thing the Patriots did to stop the Steelers offense was to widen their defensive ends, thus taking away the perimeter. That forced the wide stuff back inside to linebackers engaged in run blitz. The Patriots also played the proverbial "Cover Two" zone pass defense against Stewart. Stewart is gaining a reputation around the NFL of being pretty good in the passing game against man coverage, but not so good against zone.

Those X's and O's aside, however, the Patriots did it to the Steelers and then to the Rams the next week the old-fashioned way: They handled them physically. A microcosm of their approach was seen on a penalty against Patriots linebacker Willie McGinest near the end of the Super Bowl. You will remember that Rams quarterback Kurt Warner scrambled on that play and fumbled. Tebucky Jones picked up the fumble and ran for an apparent game-clinching touchdown for the Patriots. The play was called back because of the penalty against McGinest, who basically mugged Rams running back Marshall Faulk in the middle of his pass route. McGinest explained later he was just doing what he had been coached to do: be physical, disrupt whatever it was the offense - especially the skill players - wanted to do.

On the other hand, don't get me wrong. This is just not about New England's players kicking the Steelers' tails. I am ultimately pointing the finger at Cowher. His team was not ready for battle. The players took the game for granted, and that is his responsibility. It made it easier for a very focused, intense Patriots team to knock them off.

Former Steelers director of football operations Tom Donahoe tried pointing out the issues of being flat and overconfident to Cowher in some similar situations in the past. It was the beginning of the end of their relationship. Cowher bristled at the suggestions. Now who will Cowher blame? He cannot blame anyone except the guy looking back at him in the mirror.

Donahoe, incidentally, was the one NFL executive who went out on a limb and said the Patriots were a dangerous team and picked them to win. If you ask me, it's Donahoe's Buffalo Bills who might be the most surprising team in the NFL in 2002. If not this fall, then certainly by 2003 will Donahoe and his old buddy Tom Modrak have that club turned into a contender.

I have heard and read that the Cleveland Browns are the NFL's darkhorse team for 2002. They will have to prove that to me. Specifically, they will have to prove they have a running game that is capable of at least being average. Tim Couch may be a good quarterback, and the Browns defense has its upsides. But, the Browns are not going anywhere if they don't muster some sort of ground game.

But, I digress.

The point here is that the Steelers missing out on Super Bowl XXXVI rubs you like sandpaper and will until your dying day. Get used to it. That is the way it's going to be. Stewart isn't going anywhere. While he has shown improvement, he still hasn't proven he can rally a team to victory in the closing stages of a pressure-packed playoff game. Perhaps he will grow into that role. I will certainly not preclude the possibility that the next step in his maturity will be getting over the proverbial playoff hump.

Obviously, Stewart proved untold numbers of people wrong with his mostly stellar play this past season. But his interceptions and Bettis' poor performance against the Patriots are not the main concerns in my mind. I believe the Steelers had the material this season and may still have it come next season to make the Super Bowl. The biggest question in my view is this: Does Cowher have the right stuff to lead his players in pressure playoff situations when they are the heavy favorites?

Stay tuned. Training camp is only about five months away.

Goose Goslin is sports director at KDKA-AM (1020).

Goose Goslin writes a weekly column for the Tribune-Review.,/I>

Holy Crap.  Know we have to go back 3 years to try and show me up... Special teams and KS cost us that game.  see it many times.  That is history.  You wouldn't want me to go dig up some of the print from any of your 4 SB losses would you???

184396[/snapback]

I wish the Steelers needed this game just like we do. It would be a ton of fun whipping your ass and sending you home.

Bills 33

Steelers 13