A Modern Day Case Against First Round Corners

Or a tackle for a loss on a run, a fumble, an interception, pick-six, a hurried, incomplete pass, or a QB with a broken rib. ;)

And the same can be said for all other players on offense who make a mistake. Yet you cannot deny that the margin of error for DBs is much smaller, especially when the offense will continue to target you if you're having a bad day. Look no further than Giants. Their midseason funk came at a perfect time when their CBs were dropping like flies.

I agree that you need to keep the DB cupboard well-stocked all the time, but I'd be hesitant to call CB a major need this year, at least relative to other needs.

Despite the opinions of the folks who can only see him when he makes a mistake, Florence is rock solid and is only going to get better behind an improving front 7. Aaron Williams showed strong last year and should have the other side well in hand. Even McKelvin could be significant factor this year if the Bills are wise enough to keep him in the slot as a nickel, where he could really excel by keeping things in front of him and at eye level and not having to play downfield with the ball over his head, which is the only place he gets in trouble.

Fresh depth is always welcome, particularly in a division with the Pats, but I don't think it's a significant enough situation to refer to it as a major need.

I'm not fully sold on Florence being a consistent contributor, and would not be totally upset about Kirpatrick or Gillmore being the top pick. Although lately, I'm thinking that Gailey will lobby hard enough for Floyd in round 1.

I agree that you need to keep the DB cupboard well-stocked all the time, but I'd be hesitant to call CB a major need this year, at least relative to other needs.

Despite the opinions of the folks who can only see him when he makes a mistake, Florence is rock solid and is only going to get better behind an improving front 7. Aaron Williams showed strong last year and should have the other side well in hand. Even McKelvin could be significant factor this year if the Bills are wise enough to keep him in the slot as a nickel, where he could really excel by keeping things in front of him and at eye level and not having to play downfield with the ball over his head, which is the only place he gets in trouble.

Fresh depth is always welcome, particularly in a division with the Pats, but I don't think it's a significant enough situation to refer to it as a major need.

That is my biggest hope as well with this secondary. McKelvin at the nickel is night and day from playing outside. He's actually pretty great at it.

I'm not fully sold on Florence being a consistent contributor, and would not be totally upset about Kirpatrick or Gillmore being the top pick. Although lately, I'm thinking that Gailey will lobby hard enough for Floyd in round 1.

I absolutely love Kirkpatrick's game but I think he's still a luxury at this point. The Bills still have significant issues at LB, Tackle and WR and until those ducks are in a row, they'd be best served to not spend valuable resources on defensive edge players. Coming into the offseason the focus on the roster was, and I quote, "Defense, Defense and Defense". I'm not sure yet if they feel they've met their needs in that area, but I'm guessing that the top end talent they want to acquire with their first couple picks is likely going to be on the other side of the ball; if they do keep bolstering the defense, I imagine it will likely be at LB(with all apologies to Rex Ryan, I am in love w/ Luke Kuechly's feet). I'm hoping for a more definitive answer on that question in about 2 weekends.

And fwiw, I don't think Gailey will have to do a whole lot of lobbying as Nix has been trying to get an impact wide-out on this roster since Day 1.

So, to summarize, your defensive philosophy involves immobile cement blocks (I think you mean concrete) backed up by fedora wearing traffic directors surrounded by spongebobs? And you wonder why people don't take you seriously.

That is not my defensive philosophy, I am just commenting on the defensive philosophy in the NFL these days. I am an observer.

If I were to decide I would get a more cement barricades in the later rounds because despite their size they tend to miss long stretches of games if they even get small dings on their pedestals; also known as boo boo feet. The sponges, being more flexible can spring back into action even if they get squeezed a few times. Sometimes they come back even better. You need good ones because there is a lot of water. You need a good Civil Defense guy to yell really loud. It doesn't matter if they guy is incoherent and rambles on loudly about nothing all day long. If he has a mean look on his face and screams a lot he could be featured on ESPN daily. Look at Ray Lewis. Half of his speeches are about lollipops and their impact on space exploration but he yells so loud that the Ravens play great. We need a guy like that.

P.S. Cement and concrete are two different words for the same thing like air and oxygen so stop being a jerk.

As far as the first round pick goes I actually agree with Bill if the Bills move down and pick up Hightower. He is our CD. If they stay I think Gilmore because the Bama guy is a pot head. If Honey Badger drops to us then bye bye Gilmore.

Edited by ieatcrayonz

McGee is done. Florence is aging quickly. McKelvin is going into his contract year. The only one that looks to be a starter for the foreseeable future is Aaron Williams.

Cornerback IS a need for this team. While OLB is also a need, Im not sure there is an OLB that warrants a 1st round pick. And the WORST thing the FO can do is over-reach based on need. With guys like David and Irvin graded in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, and Claiborne, Kirkpatrick, and Gilmore graded in the 1st, it is much more likely we fill the defensive holes in that order.

I'm all for drafting Floyd at 10 as well, if that is what Nix/Whaley decide to do.

But please keep in mind, we have ten - TEN, picks in the draft. Five in the top 125. We found very good rookies all the way through the 5th round last year. Don't judge a draft by the 1st round alone.

The good news is, the FO has set themselves up to have a lot of options when it comes time to draft. We could go WR-OLB-CB-OT, or OT-WR-OLB-CB, or CB-WR-OLB-OT, etc... and still address our needs with quality prospects.

EDIT: I also dont care about the Bills' draft history. It proves nothing about what we should do, it's only hindsight about the mistakes of others. Those were different players, picked by different FOs, in different drafts for different teams. None of that history has any affect on the 2012 team. What is done, is done.

Edited by DrDareustein

You do realize that sponges don't have feet don't you?

What are the LBs?

Crayonz is using algorithm. Try to keep up.

The LBs are like those Civil Defense people that wear those funny helmets with the flat brim all the way around. The can direct things in a more mobile way than the barricades but they are subject to getting washed out.

Pic of helmet

Only $35 bucks for that helmet? Thanks Crayonz!

Everyone knows that linebackers are like jellyfish...

Not according to Crayonz' anagram.

Good post, although I am not a big Florence fan. He should, however, be much, much better with the pass rush. Leodis had a terrible year last year but he's easily our best cover guy. His problem, obviously, as you stated, was locating the ball. He's usually right on his man 90% of the plays. I even think with better coaching he would be a lot better. He still has a ton of talent and with a pass rush I expect him to be a very effective player this year if used right as you say.

The coaches lost confidence in him last year, and rightfully so, he was giving up play after play, usually resulting in long gainers. But it would not surprise me at all if he were the surprise player on this defense this year.

I wouldn't call it a major need, but it is a need. Williams will be a great player and will be a good fill in for McGee when he goes down again. A couple seasons ago everyone wanted us to resign Drayton, last season with out a pass rush he didn't look as good. The Jets tried to get him but he chose to stay with us. I will be that he looks pretty damn good again this season. McKelvin is an FA after this and he has been spotty at best. If our highest rated player is a CB, then so be it - you can never have enough and they usually take a season or 2 to come into their own.

Bill brings up a great point as to how much these guys cost in FA, which is why I would rather us draft them. The problem, that Bill points out is what do you do when they are due for FA? You either pay them a ton or you let them walk. As far as positional value on defense goes, after a pass rushing DE, a lock down CB gets paid more than a run-stuffing LB or a DT. If you have that great guy, and if he loves playing here, you might get a slight hometown discount, but it would be worth resigning him if he is that kind of corner. Whether you like it or not, this position commands big bucks and is almost always a need for every team. In today's passing league, this position as GG stated saves 6 points...