Social Darwinism

Paul Ryan's budget is the GOP's budget, like it or not at election time. It's political poision but the GOP, dominated by the Tea Party, has to swallow it. Massive tax cuts for wealthy, massive obligations on the middle class and poor. Obama is all over this, first calling it Social Darwinism--you know, like the Nazis were, and now with this:

That renowned liberal Newt Gingrich first called the original version of the budget “radical,” and said it would contribute to “right-wing social engineering.” This is coming from Newt Gingrich. And yet, this isn’t a budget supported by some small rump group in the Republican Party. This is now the party’s governing platform. This is what they’re running on.

One of my potential opponents, Gov. Romney, has said that he hopes a similar version of this plan from last year, will be introduced as a bill on Day One of his presidency. He said that he’s very supportive of this new budget. And he even called it marvelous, which is a word you don’t often hear when it comes to describing a budget. That’s a word you don’t often hear, generally.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-haberman/

The GOP really better hope the economy tanks, because there is no other way they can dump this plan on the country with a straight debate.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is no different than the Budgets that Obama has proposed and have not got one single vote.... These documents, these plans are a starting point for negotiation going forward.... we can only hope in this stalemate politcial climate that either of the two parties that are supposed to represent the will or people who live in greatest land in the world will relize it has always been about "compromise"...

It is no different than the Budgets that Obama has proposed and have not got one single vote.... These documents, these plans are a starting point for negotiation going forward.... we can only hope in this stalemate politcial climate that either of the two parties that are supposed to represent the will or people who live in greatest land in the world will relize it has always been about "compromise"...

Amen to that. This Paul Ryan budget as a (strong) starting point in compromise is one thing. So long as that is what it is. Also, I am not so convinced "fixing tax loop holes" is as easy politically as this plan implies. But either way hopefully both sides are willing to compromise. And I hope those "on the street" that support this budget do so knowing how it impacts them and those in their community and not just on some vague ideological grounds that a few talking points drills into them.

Edited by dayman

Yep, BHO is all over it because he has no clue what a serious budget looks like. How many votes did his budget receive DIN? How about the budgets Harry Reid and the Dem controlled Senate has introduced the past few years? Keep up the boot licking you clueless clown!

You consider this a "serious" budget proposal? The Paul Ryan budget?

It would be nice to know that the president and his political allies in the senate would at least produce a budget that eventually leads us to a balanced budget and that would address the overburdened entitlement programs. It's easy to sit on the sidelines and demagogue the other sides budget while failing to produce one yourself. I think it's fair to say that there has been a failure of leadership from democrats on what's arguably our most pressing problem moving forward.

From Paul Ryan, who I happen to respect, simply because I consider him to be a serious individual who had the gravitas to leave himself open to the predictable ridicule from his political opponents offered a solution as flawed as it may be that puts the country on a fiscal sustainable path.

Those who support the president, don't you believe that he and his allies owe it to the country to at least offer a budget that leads us to a balanced budget? I'm not advocating that we balance the budget in the next few years, simply because it's unrealistic and to be honest rather silly . But at least show us some leadership in how they would do it, have the political courage to leave yourself open. Let us at least see a serious competing plan. In that regards, the president has lacked the courage of what great presidents are made of. That's just my opinion

You consider this a "serious" budget proposal? The Paul Ryan budget?

You can vehemently disagree with the man and his budget, but at least it puts our economy on a sustained fiscal path and it does extend the life of Medicare. What we do know is that the status quo achieves neither of the two and what would be radical is to continue down the path we are headed. Now if you believe that his plan is socially unfair, that could be a fair criticism but to characteriz Ryan's plan as not serious would not accurately depict his efforts.

The purpose of the Ryan budget is to make what would normally be considered draconian budgets look reasonable - it's why people purposed staying in Afghanistan to 2024- now doesn't that make staying in this unbelievably unproductive military engagement only to 2014 seem reasonable.

The purpose of the Ryan budget is to make what would normally be considered draconian budgets look reasonable - it's why people purposed staying in Afghanistan to 2024- now doesn't that make staying in this unbelievably unproductive military engagement only to 2014 seem reasonable.

I'm afraid ANY plan that leads us to an eventual balanced budget along side serious reforms on Medicare will appear draconian. The question is do we begin to implement A plan now or do we wait till the bond markets impose one on us. And if you believe ryans plan is draconian wait until you see what an austerity plan under the pressure of bond markets will look like.

I think it's fair to ask the president and his allies to offer a serious plan that puts us in a stable and sustainable fiscal path with a credible plan to reform Medicare. Don't you?

I think it's fair to ask the president and his allies to offer a serious plan that puts us in a stable and sustainable fiscal path with a credible plan to reform Medicare. Don't you?

He did!!!! Too bad he couldn't get a single vote for it!!! :oops:

Thing is these sort of tactics have a tendency to take a life of their own as of late. Just make sure all the right wing guys agree with you on this, and I'm ok.

Of course, it's pathetic and a testament to fiscal ignorance that anyone in their right mind would consider the Ryan budget -- or any budget proposed to Congress in decades -- as anything even in the same universe as "draconian".