NYC Bills Fans - Meet George Wilson

BillsNYC

On a similar note, I travel to the New York City area on business from my home here in Syracuse.

Sometimes the subject of the NFL comes up and I tell people that I'm a Buffalo Bills fan. I don't say that I'm a die-hard fan or anything like that, but just in conversation I do mention that I support the Bills.

I cannot tell you how many people in the downstate area that I've met who absolutely refuse to follow the Giants and Jets because they play in New Jersey.

They even go as far as to admit that the Buffalo Bills are New York's only NFL team. I've heard many people say this.

I don't know why the Bills don't market themselves in the downstate area more. I'm sure they'll pick up more fans.

On a similar note, I travel to the New York City area on business from my home here in Syracuse.

Sometimes the subject of the NFL comes up and I tell people that I'm a Buffalo Bills fan. I don't say that I'm a die-hard fan or anything like that, but just in conversation I do mention that I support the Bills.

I cannot tell you how many people in the downstate area that I've met who absolutely refuse to follow the Giants and Jets because they play in New Jersey.

They even go as far as to admit that the Buffalo Bills are New York's only NFL team. I've heard many people say this.

I don't know why the Bills don't market themselves in the downstate area more. I'm sure they'll pick up more fans.

Maybe the Bills should play a home game in NYC as part of a regionalization effort? (/sarcasm)

As someone who lives in Syracuse I can assure you that many Bills fans here have been wanting the Bills to play a pre-season game at the Carrier Dome.

Albany and Montreal probably don't care about the Buffalo Bills.

But the Bills could mount an easy marketing campaign in the NYC television market saying that they're the only NFL team from New York state.

Again, it's amazing to hear people in the NYC area that will not follow the Giants and Jets simply because they now play in New Jersey.

They should play games in Albany, Syracuse, and Montreal too :D

Seriously though, I wonder how many Bills fans are down there?

When we're winning we fill two bars with 600 Bills fans with overflow into a 3rd bar. NYPD had to shut us down after the Pats win as it spilled out onto 42nd Street.

Can't imagine what'll happen when we make the playoffs!

As someone who lives in Syracuse I can assure you that many Bills fans here have been wanting the Bills to play a pre-season game at the Carrier Dome.

As someone from Syracuse that has talked with the Bills front office personal, they've told me they won't have a pre-season game in the Dome, due to a couple of reasons, but two are, that it's not up to NFL standards, and the Dome in August is like an oven, no air conditioning.

They should play games in Albany, Syracuse, and Montreal too :D

Seriously though, I wonder how many Bills fans are down there?

-A Buttload. Many are holdovers from the 90's who kept the faith. The NY, NJ, CT, tri-state area hides alot of Billievers. A winning season should bring them all out of the woodwork.

Albany and Montreal probably don't care about the Buffalo Bills.

But the Bills could mount an easy marketing campaign in the NYC television market saying that they're the only NFL team from New York state.

Again, it's amazing to hear people in the NYC area that will not follow the Giants and Jets simply because they now play in New Jersey.

Don't be fooled, I have found relatively few casual Bills fans around the Tri-state area. No one in NYC cares about Buffalo or the Bills in the least, aside from the transplants who still have a connection to Buffalo and are still die-hards. And those folks you can find in any city; I bet Raleigh has twice as many Buffalo fans on a per capita basis than does NYC. Hell, last night on the Rangers' post game they showed highlights of a meaningless Bruins-Flyers game twice before even mentioning the Sabres' crazy thriller -- even though that was the game that had an impact on who the Rangers might play in the playoffs!!!

Anyone who still brings up the stadium thing in NJ either just wants something to B word about or is nothing more than a bandwagon fan who jumps back and forth between the Jets and Giants depending on the year. They've been playing in NJ for 30+ years now, no one cares about that anymore.

Edited by KD in CT

Don't be fooled, I have found relatively few casual Bills fans around the Tri-state area. No one in NYC cares about Buffalo or the Bills in the least, aside from the transplants who still have a connection to Buffalo and are still die-hards. And those folks you can find in any city; I bet Raleigh has twice as many Buffalo fans on a per capita basis than does NYC. Hell, last night on the Rangers' post game they showed highlights of a meaningless Bruins-Flyers game twice before even mentioning the Sabres' crazy thriller -- even though that was the game that had an impact on who the Rangers might play in the playoffs!!!

Anyone who still brings up the stadium thing in NJ either just wants something to B word about or is nothing more than a bandwagon fan who jumps back and forth between the Jets and Giants depending on the year. They've been playing in NJ for 30+ years now, no one cares about that anymore.

Plus 1--I've lived in the NYC area more or less since the mid-80's and agree that there are few casual Bills fans here. In fact, we're all somewhat of a curio to the native locals....

Plus 1--I've lived in the NYC area more or less since the mid-80's and agree that there are few casual Bills fans here. In fact, we're all somewhat of a curio to the native locals....

Maybe it's where you look! Someone's filling up the six different Bills bars in the metro area that I know of (three in Manhattan, one in Brooklyn, one in Hoboken, one in Paterson). There was a display of Buffalo Bills gear (hundreds of shirts) at the Old Navy a block from where I work on 19th Street -- they were sold out within the day. I see Bills gear around the city all the time -- three times in the past two weeks...saw no Jets gear in that time, some Giants. Sure a lot of it is transplants like in any city, but there's a lot of Buffalo transplants in NYC since its the nearest mega-city. Fercrissake, we had the riot police called on us at the Bills bar when we beat the Pats -- and that was a regular season game.

Sure, it's not a huge movement here, and obviously it's nothing like the Jets or Giants, but to act as if there's zero special following here seems unnecessarily negative, and to be missing something special. Also, there's so little hatred of the team, if they did well, it would be such a story, that I'd bet there would be more than the usual complement of new fans (but that's neither here nor there).

While the Jersey thing is a stretch, I do hear non-Bills football fans point out that they are the only team playing in NY almost half the time I mention I'm a Bills fan. Also, it just kinda fits the Jets that they play in a stadium with another team's name. It's bizarre how they just sort of stopped looking for their own home.

As someone from Syracuse that has talked with the Bills front office personal, they've told me they won't have a pre-season game in the Dome, due to a couple of reasons, but two are, that it's not up to NFL standards, and the Dome in August is like an oven, no air conditioning.

Seriously? NO air conditioning in a building donated by and named for the guy who invented air conditioning? Wow!

While the Jersey thing is a stretch, I do hear non-Bills football fans point out that they are the only team playing in NY almost half the time I mention I'm a Bills fan. Also, it just kinda fits the Jets that they play in a stadium with another team's name. It's bizarre how they just sort of stopped looking for their own home.

I think it's just become a default thing to say, without having any meaning. I bet 98% of the people near NYC who say that have never been to Buffalo and couldn't tell you how to get there. I don't think NYC would care about the Bills if they played in White Plains.

As for the Jets, they couldn't get approval for their Manhattan Stadium so it made fiscal sense to share the new one with the Giants (which btw, is not called 'Giants Stadium').

Maybe it's where you look! Someone's filling up the six different Bills bars in the metro area that I know of (three in Manhattan, one in Brooklyn, one in Hoboken, one in Paterson). There was a display of Buffalo Bills gear (hundreds of shirts) at the Old Navy a block from where I work on 19th Street -- they were sold out within the day. I see Bills gear around the city all the time -- three times in the past two weeks...saw no Jets gear in that time, some Giants. Sure a lot of it is transplants like in any city, but there's a lot of Buffalo transplants in NYC since its the nearest mega-city. Fercrissake, we had the riot police called on us at the Bills bar when we beat the Pats -- and that was a regular season game.

Sure, it's not a huge movement here, and obviously it's nothing like the Jets or Giants, but to act as if there's zero special following here seems unnecessarily negative, and to be missing something special. Also, there's so little hatred of the team, if they did well, it would be such a story, that I'd bet there would be more than the usual complement of new fans (but that's neither here nor there).

Don't conflate the support for Bills from the transplants & kids of former transplants with the fact that most NYC'ers don't give a crap about anything that happens north of Tappan Zee.