For you "Draft Experts"

Kaenon

Let's just be reminded of how difficult it is to evaluate college talent and transitioning it into the NFL.

Talking heads such as Mike Mayock may be well respected but have their share of blunders for people who they talk up a lot (Robert Ayers, Blaine Gabbert, etc.).

Who in recent years have you thought was going to be a complete stud, but hash't been very productive in the NFL (try to use 1st and 2nd rounders only as examples)...?

Where are all the Everette Brown fans, Limas Sweed, Dan Williams, Jerry Hughes, Jimmy Clausen, etc.

I'll start.

2008:

James Hardy. Not going to lie, I saw him play in person once in college and he looked like the real not going to lie. Had the size to be an awesome red zone threat, oh well.

2009:

Larry English... oh Larry English what happened to you? Was it the lack of tackle talent in your conference that had us fooled? 7 sacks and 1 FF combined for his first 3 years in the NFL. Shame.

Darcel McBath. Had a promising rookie year, then injuries have put him on IR the last two seasons with two difference teams (Broncos and Jags).

Sean Smith...ugh Sean Smith - I thought he was going to be awesome! He's been a starter at CB for Miami but hasn't been great. Has improved in interceptions over his three years (0,1 and 2) lol.

2010:

Demaryius Thomas, but I guess you can say has played well as of late, considering his QB carousel.

Brian Price. Thought he played pretty good last year but did nothing in his rookie year.

Obviously we all have had picks we've hit on, but that's not the point of this thread.

Wow... I guess I'm old... My first draft guffaw????

I ran through the streets, naked, singing and dancing, when we drafted Perry Tuttle.....

:doh:

Check it out, I'm sure my pics, and the police report, are still available....

JK... maybe

Yeah - I've learned to merely hope that certain positional needs get met, and trust that Nix and Co. have the skills to know the right players - and, in truth, I feel Buddy has done an excellent job of picking up players via the draft and udfa over the last 2 years. I still have hope for Troupe and Carrington, Moats, Batten, Easley, etc. These guys excite me - and, the draft excites me because with another good 3 or 4 more players (LT, WR, LB, CB) our team could be a competitor, and I think Nix has shown the ability to find starter quality players in even the later rounds.

By the way, I was really ticked off when we passed on Claussen - I was sure he was at least worth a 2nd round pick! Kaepernick - I wanted him, too. This year? I'm actually hoping we give Kellen Moore a shot with maybe a 4th, or that really tall QB - Osweiller? maybe? Also, I'm thinking we should go for the Georgia Tech WR, Stephen Hill, over Floyd, if we have the chance. So, there's that.

1332987153[/url]' post='2424841']

Yeah - I've learned to merely hope that certain positional needs get met, and trust that Nix and Co. have the skills to know the right players - and, in truth, I feel Buddy has done an excellent job of picking up players via the draft and udfa over the last 2 years. I still have hope for Troupe and Carrington, Moats, Batten, Easley, etc. These guys excite me - and, the draft excites me because with another good 3 or 4 more players (LT, WR, LB, CB) our team could be a competitor, and I think Nix has shown the ability to find starter quality players in even the later rounds.

By the way, I was really ticked off when we passed on Claussen - I was sure he was at least worth a 2nd round pick! Kaepernick - I wanted him, too. This year? I'm actually hoping we give Kellen Moore a shot with maybe a 4th, or that really tall QB - Osweiller? maybe? Also, I'm thinking we should go for the Georgia Tech WR, Stephen Hill, over Floyd, if we have the chance. So, there's that.

Danny batten excites you? I'll be shocked if he makes the team. No way he plays LB and I don't think he's got the strength to play DE. We have Kelsey, carrington, Merriman, moats (if he plays DE) ahead of him. Cut batten. I'd even consider cutting troupe. Bad backs are bad, especially for a DT. I can't envision troupe ever making an impact. I'm rooting for him, but I just can't see him ever contributing.

Danny batten excites you? I'll be shocked if he makes the team. No way he plays LB and I don't think he's got the strength to play DE. We have Kelsey, carrington, Merriman, moats (if he plays DE) ahead of him. Cut batten. I'd even consider cutting troupe. Bad backs are bad, especially for a DT. I can't envision troupe ever making an impact. I'm rooting for him, but I just can't see him ever contributing.

Troup is like McCargo in this instance. Troup is/was a much better player, but his back is his major downfall.

No one else has draft blunders? Wow, ya'll must be experts!

In no particular order Devin Thomas,John McCargo,Aaron Curry,Leif Larsen,Anthony Gonzalez,Mike Williams,Micheal Westbrook, just a few that jump out at me.

Leif Larsen? Really?

Off the top of my head, i really liked these guys (early rounds) that have thus far been failures in the past few drafts.

2009: Everette Brown, also due to homerism, but i thought he was a no brainer for the Bills in round 2

2008: I liked Sedrick Ellis, but he didn't fall, and in round 2, i definitely wanted Sweed over Hardy.

Let's just be reminded of how difficult it is to evaluate college talent and transitioning it into the NFL.

Talking heads such as Mike Mayock may be well respected but have their share of blunders for people who they talk up a lot (Robert Ayers, Blaine Gabbert, etc.).

Who in recent years have you thought was going to be a complete stud, but hash't been very productive in the NFL (try to use 1st and 2nd rounders only as examples)...?

Where are all the Everette Brown fans, Limas Sweed, Dan Williams, Jerry Hughes, Jimmy Clausen, etc.

I'll start.

2008:

James Hardy. Not going to lie, I saw him play in person once in college and he looked like the real not going to lie. Had the size to be an awesome red zone threat, oh well.

2009:

Larry English... oh Larry English what happened to you? Was it the lack of tackle talent in your conference that had us fooled? 7 sacks and 1 FF combined for his first 3 years in the NFL. Shame.

Darcel McBath. Had a promising rookie year, then injuries have put him on IR the last two seasons with two difference teams (Broncos and Jags).

Sean Smith...ugh Sean Smith - I thought he was going to be awesome! He's been a starter at CB for Miami but hasn't been great. Has improved in interceptions over his three years (0,1 and 2) lol.

2010:

Demaryius Thomas, but I guess you can say has played well as of late, considering his QB carousel.

Brian Price. Thought he played pretty good last year but did nothing in his rookie year.

Obviously we all have had picks we've hit on, but that's not the point of this thread.

OK, I'll date myself.....Terry Miller.

Edited by jjmac

I thought Hardy would be a can't miss kind of WR...He just looked so good in the games I watched..And his size was so impressive...

I thought McLovin was going to be a very solid NFL CB...

On the other hand, in 2006 I was literally chanting "Ngata! Ngata! Ngata!" in my Den while watching the Draft...I nearly had a heart attack when they announced Whitner...I could not calm down for hours... :lol:

On the other hand, in 2006 I was literally chanting "Ngata! Ngata! Ngata!" in my Den while watching the Draft...I nearly had a heart attack when they announced Whitner...I could not calm down for hours... :lol:

Ha, I have some funny videos from our 2006 draft party when Whitner was selected.

People with the hand slap to the head, followed by a "What?!? Who is he!"

All the way to broken ****, lol.

I had the same reaction when we drafted Spiller. I was so pissed. I was on a Carnival cruise ship with family. I threw a half-full beer back into the ice bucket in the sports bar. Stormed back to my room (with the bucket of beer. of course) and muttered to myself for hours.

Edited by Maddog69

I had the same reaction when we drafted Spiller. I was so pissed. I was on a Carnival cruise ship with family. I threw a half-full beer back into the ice bucket in the sports bar. Stormed back to my room (with the bucket of beer. of course) and muttered to myself for hours.

I was Home, so I was right here (TSW) for the Spiller Pick...And was clearly not too happy about it...Not that I knew who they were going to Pick, or that I did not think Spiller was going to be a decent NFL player...I just did not think we needed a RB...I was kind of hoping for Bulaga...But I was SO pissed when they made the Pick...Then CJ put on the hat, and I went back and watched his highlight reel about a hundred times to feel a little better...I remember almost immediately there were those who felt we were going to keep all 3 RB's...So my focus quickly switched to the fact that one of these guys had to go...But anyway...I felt your pain...Believe me...

I've seen some video of Bills Fans when Maybin was Picked...But I guess we don't even need to go there do we... ;)

whitner over ngata was unspeakable. i just stared blankly at the tv for the next hour.

funny how the two most obvious rage-inducing picks on draft day have ending up proving the fanbase correct. ngata has gone on to become one of the NFL's elite, and orakpo has close to 30 sacks in 3 years. if only..

I was Home, so I was right here (TSW) for the Spiller Pick...And was clearly not too happy about it...Not that I knew who they were going to Pick, or that I did not think Spiller was going to be a decent NFL player...I just did not think we needed a RB...I was kind of hoping for Bulaga...But I was SO pissed when they made the Pick...Then CJ put on the hat, and I went back and watched his highlight reel about a hundred times to feel a little better...I remember almost immediately there were those who felt we were going to keep all 3 RB's...So my focus quickly switched to the fact that one of these guys had to go...But anyway...I felt your pain...Believe me...

I've seen some video of Bills Fans when Maybin was Picked...But I guess we don't even need to go there do we... ;)

The Spiller pick was worse for me. We had 2 good backs. We needed help on both lines and we needed a QB. I wanted one of those to be addressed.

With Maybin, I was surprised but not angry (until aftwards when it become apparent that he was a bust). We needed pass rush and that is what he was supposed to deliver so I found a way to ratiionalize the pick. Like you said, I had no real doubt that Spiller was a good prospect. It just seemed like a wasted pick to me.

If available, in my opinion, the Bills should take Hightower (L.B. from the National Champs). U put him on the same side as Williams (A GREAT shock signing)! The when they charge who do U block? Then from there Buff should go for O linemen. But hey what do I know, I thought Williams (O.L. Texas) was a good pick & Maybe a bad one.

whitner over ngata was unspeakable. i just stared blankly at the tv for the next hour.

funny how the two most obvious rage-inducing picks on draft day have ending up proving the fanbase correct. ngata has gone on to become one of the NFL's elite, and orakpo has close to 30 sacks in 3 years. if only..

:worthy:

Whitner over Ngata set the franchise back 2 years in terms of draft picks alone...

...and Orakpo or Oher would have much better choices over...ahem...Maybin...

Edited by Bruce

:worthy:

Whitner over Ngata set the franchise back 2 years in terms of draft picks alone...

...and Orakpo or Oher would have much better choices over...ahem...Maybin...

yup. and before someone comes in and says "hindsight is 20/20 blah blah blah", these moves were as obvious as the dareus pick this year. we just tried to outsmart everyone.