Tebow vs Brad Smith. Who's a better Wildcat QB?

83 members have voted

1. 1. Who is a better QB in Wildcat formation?

• Tim Tebow
    • Brad Smith

Smith is definitely better. He's at least a football player. Tebow, well he’s a clown and makes the circus more fun.

Is he the same clown that beat Pittsburg in the playoffs? The same clown that benches 500 lbs with one arm? Teeeeeebow's a stud. Don't blame him for the media's infatuation with him.

Teebow> Losman, Edwards, Fitzpatrick, and every other Bills QB since Kelly Yes...

If they would have let Smith throw it just one more time, opposing defenses would have to honor each wildcat formation as a possible pass.

Since every opposing team has by now seen Smith pass, it's safe to say they never will honor the Bills' wildcat as a possible pass.

The wildcat is a joke. No serious team uses it with any frequency. 20 times a year is too many.

Is he the same clown that beat Pittsburg in the playoffs? The same clown that benches 500 lbs with one arm? Teeeeeebow's a stud. Don't blame him for the media's infatuation with him.

Teebow> Losman, Edwards, Fitzpatrick, and every other Bills QB since Kelly Yes...

!@#$ing ridiculous..

I would prefer if we never ran the wildcat again.. The wildcat started as Miami's last ditch effort to be competitive. It should not be copied by anyone unless they are totally inept at QB.. I laugh that the Jets actually think this is a good strategy.

I think I would choose Brad Smith over Tebow. A lot of you Tebow lovers with man crushes out there may choose differently, but Smith is multi purpose. He can lin up as QB and throw, run or if needed line up at receiver. Tebow is pretty much going to run or throw and he just doesnt complete many passes. I think the Jets locker room is going to be a nightmare. Holmes will ask for Tebow to QB then throw everyone under the bus. It'll be a mess. I think the Jets take a Madden approach to Free Agency and trading. They try to grab all the talented players without looking at character and personality. It works when you play Madden, not when your actually trying to build a real team.

1] Smith can throw, and in fact Gailey stated publicly that he was surprised how well Smith could throw and they have been grooming him as more of a QB than they had originally planned. When the WRs went out and Smith had to play WR all that Wildcat stuff was tossed out the window. You will see Smith throw out of the Wildcat this year.

2] The one play last year fans still abuse Brad Smith for, standing at the line with time and a wide open WR running down the field, and then not throwing is a terrible example. Because there was a safety out of the TV camera's view that Smith saw, and the Bill WR was not wide open at all, and that is why he didn't throw. It was actually very smart not very dumb.

3] Smith was terrible at KR last year, often looking sluggish and tentative. He led the entire NFL in KR the previous year though with about a 30 yard average. He's very fast, 4.4. He can return kicks.

4] The Wildcat was enormously successful last year getting what it was designed to do for us, which was getting first downs on short yardage, and in fact, on 3rd and short, Smith was not stopped one time. I have no idea why fans think he wasn't good in the Wildcat, it was great. It just wasn't used a lot because the first several games the offense was on fire and there was not a lot of reason to use it and after awhile, Smith could no longer practice it because he was needed at WR and Gailey scrapped his plans. The Wildcat will very likely have a large role in our offense this year.

Tim Tebow 40 yard dash time: 4.71 @ combine.

Brad Smith 40 yard dash time: 4.45 @ combine.

So Tim Tebow is slower than Brad Smith, hell Tebow is slow for a TE, RB or any other position besides maybe QB. Both Qb's aren't the best of throwers. I'd say they are at least even there.

I'm not a Tebow hater, but how does being a slow type RB help him be better at running the wildcat? Unless you think he can be a bruising FB type and get short yardage? Even then, Brad Smith is already completely capable of doing that.

This thread is about a specific role Tim Tebow wil play not what his TEAMS he played for have done.

Since Smith has become a Bill. I don't know if he's good at anything. He showed zero last year. As a kick returner he was terrible.

One thing for sure he could not have lead a team to the playoffs and a playoff win.

Give him Denver's defense and he might could've.

Either way, it's a good thing we have Smith to get all wildcatty in practice so we can at least prepare for it. All accounts are that the Jets regretted letting Smith get away. And, with our upgraded defense, Rexy had visions of Sanchito attempting many of his throws while flat on his back or curled up in a fetal position. So, getting another mobile QB actually makes a lot of sense for them on paper. But I still think/hope it will blow up in their faces.

So Tim Tebow is slower than Brad Smith, hell Tebow is slow for a TE, RB or any other position besides maybe QB. Both Qb's aren't the best of throwers. I'd say they are at least even there.

I'm not a Tebow hater, but how does being a slow type RB help him be better at running the wildcat? Unless you think he can be a bruising FB type and get short yardage? Even then, Brad Smith is already completely capable of doing that.

This thread is about a specific role Tim Tebow wil play not what his TEAMS he played for have done.

There is more to it than speed.

Tebow runs like a pretty good fullback so there's that.

There is more to it than speed.

Tebow runs like a pretty good fullback so there's that.

Agree to disagree on that one.

I think to run an effective wildcat offense speed is everything. Typically Qb's are slow, which is why adding a fast, elusive player in works so well. This is also why it worked so well with Ronnie Brown/Ricky Williams. You don't see to many teams sticking their fullback in the game to run the wildcat. Can you imagine big ol' Cory doing it? Even when its a short down situation, the Bills use Smith because of his speed and cutting ability. He is fast enough to cut and make it through the correct hole on wildcat plays. Again, this is why is was successful for Miami.

Not that stats tell the whole story, but:

Tim Tebow career YPC average: 5.4

Brad Smith career YPC average: 7.2, even with him only being used in Bills short yardage situation.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Agree to disagree on that one.

I think to run an effective wildcat offense speed is everything. Typically Qb's are slow, which is why adding a fast, elusive player in works so well. This is also why it worked so well with Ronnie Brown/Ricky Williams. You don't see to many teams sticking their fullback in the game to run the wildcat. Can you imagine big ol' Cory doing it? Even when its a short down situation, the Bills use Smith because of his speed and cutting ability. He is fast enough to cut and make it through the correct hole on wildcat plays. Again, this is why is was successful for Miami.

Not that stats tell the whole story, but:

Tim Tebow career YPC average: 5.4

Brad Smith career YPC average: 7.2, even with him only being used in Bills short yardage situation.

Just a point I made all last year while we were still running it. Cory is in the backfield and lined up shorter than Smith in one of the formations. I could see them just hiking straight to him and surpising the other team in a short yardage situation, the guy is a bowling ball rolling down hill, BAM! Also I have to say the Senator is right on saying we have a good wildcat guy in Nesbitt, put Smith and him back there with him.

I voted for Brad. The reason is Tebow mentioned in his press conference that he is not a "Wildcat" QB, he was a "spread" QB in college and in Denver last season. He mentioned the difference to him is the "Wilcat" is run by a RB or WR. And almost never throws the ball down field. He was running a spread offense, which gave him the option to hand off to the RB, Keep and run, or throw downfield. Not much of a difference to me, but Tebow ran an offense last year, not a gimmick "Wilcat" play once in a while. Don't kill the messenger with semantics, "it's a wildcat no matter what Tebow says". I get it, but I think there is something to what he said. Thats why I voted for Brad. Tebow doesn't consider himself to be a "Wildcat" QB. I tend to agree. More of a spread option QB. Cam Newton ran a similar offense at Auburn and no one mentions that he was a "Wildcat" QB, but a spread option QB. Just some food for thought.

Edited by Dopey

1] Smith can throw, and in fact Gailey stated publicly that he was surprised how well Smith could throw and they have been grooming him as more of a QB than they had originally planned. When the WRs went out and Smith had to play WR all that Wildcat stuff was tossed out the window. You will see Smith throw out of the Wildcat this year.

2] The one play last year fans still abuse Brad Smith for, standing at the line with time and a wide open WR running down the field, and then not throwing is a terrible example. Because there was a safety out of the TV camera's view that Smith saw, and the Bill WR was not wide open at all, and that is why he didn't throw. It was actually very smart not very dumb.

3] Smith was terrible at KR last year, often looking sluggish and tentative. He led the entire NFL in KR the previous year though with about a 30 yard average. He's very fast, 4.4. He can return kicks.

4] The Wildcat was enormously successful last year getting what it was designed to do for us, which was getting first downs on short yardage, and in fact, on 3rd and short, Smith was not stopped one time. I have no idea why fans think he wasn't good in the Wildcat, it was great. It just wasn't used a lot because the first several games the offense was on fire and there was not a lot of reason to use it and after awhile, Smith could no longer practice it because he was needed at WR and Gailey scrapped his plans. The Wildcat will very likely have a large role in our offense this year.

I would argue the accuracy of the above. I have reviewed Smith's 20 running/option/"wildcat plays". Here's what it shows:

The "wildcat" (such as it was) was almost exclusively used during the 5-2 streak, despite the offense being on fire.

If the wildcat was "designed...(for) getting first downs on short yardage, why did Chan call for Smith to receive the direct snap/line up in shotgun 6 times (30% of total wildcats) on first down?

Only 40% of the plays were called on 3rd and short (8/20). Smith converted on 3 of those 3rd downs, so it is not true he "was not stopped one time". In fact, 2 of his three 3rd down conversions came in the first week and he had no others until week 8.

Overall, he had 7 first downs (3 came on 2nd down) in 20 plays.

Also, ther is no evidence that Chan was surprised how well Smith could throw. He had one pass attempted in those 20 attempts--an INT. It was clear to everyone when Smith was in that he was not going to throw. There is a reason for that--I think it's because Chan didn't have confidence in this kid's arm (which is pretty awful, by the way).

Also, it is true that Smith is a very good KR--in fact that is where essentially all of his value has been so far in the NFL. Someone needs to tell him he has to return more kicks. Sub him in at WR? Sure--but he's no QB and the wildcat should not be a part of any serious team's (and the Bills') regular playbook. The results spoke for themselves last season.

You missed last season? 660 yards, 11 TDs. 5.4 per carry. Yeah, he's that type.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Since when do collegiate titles and Heisman trophies even remotely predict future NFL success?

Every year, in April....at the draft. Oh, yeah, there is that.

Whether collegiate titles and Heisman trophies translate into NFL success is a different story, but I wonder if the rate of success is somewhere above the NFL overall average. I would not be surprised if it was above average.