How is is that the dolphins are picking in front of us?

Us and the Dolphins both finished 6-10 last season but they beat us twice and we wound up in last. How are they drafting in front of us?

Yep. goes by strength of schedule. The weaker the opponents you faced in 2011 records the higher you pick. The good thing is that teams with the same record rotate their position each round 1 by moving up until they are at the top and then rotating to the bottom.

So Miami is 8th, Carolina 9th and we're 10th, but in round 2 Carolina is 8th, Buffalo 9th and Miami 10th and then of course, we're 8th in round 3 followed by Miami (9th) and Carolina 10th.

So, at least if the Bills and dolphins are looking for QB's in round or 3 we would have the advantage unless they traded up.

I don't think this should be so easily brushed off as it's just Strength Of Schedule...Clearly this is a stupid way to figure Draft order...Same Division, twice beaten, finished in last, and they STILL pick in front of The Bills? Is there not a better, MORE LOGICAL way to do this? B-)

I don't think this should be so easily brushed off as it's just Strength Of Schedule...Clearly this is a stupid way to figure Draft order...Same Division, twice beaten, finished in last, and they STILL pick in front of The Bills? Is there not a better, MORE LOGICAL way to do this? B-)

If there were only two teams involved, then yes. But with three teams, you could easily run into a situation in which A beat B, B beat C, C beat A. There are three teams with a 6-10 record (Bills, Panthers, and Dolphins), which means they can't use the same tiebreakers they'd use if it was just two teams going head-to-head.

If there were only two teams involved, then yes. But with three teams, you could easily run into a situation in which A beat B, B beat C, C beat A. There are three teams with a 6-10 record (Bills, Panthers, and Dolphins), which means they can't use the same tiebreakers they'd use if it was just two teams going head-to-head.

Even two teams head to head they use SOS. That is why the 49ers, after beating the Bills, picked ahead of the Bills. They got P. WIllis, we got Lynch, and now I'm going to punch myself in the face.

Yeah, couldn't they flip a coin or something? :rolleyes:

They had to flip a coin between the Fins and Panthers because they had the same SoS. Good the Fins won, so that we pick ahead of them in R2-3.

I think they should have a playoff and the loser gets ther higher pick. :worthy: Of course 8 teams had 8-8 records but with Denver in the playoffs, let's exclude them, sooooooo then we could either have a lose one and you're out playoff or simply do a round robin with all 7 teams. That would only take 7 weeks because each week one team would have a bye sooooo, then the team with the worst record gets the highest picks, and so on. Any ties after this AND they should use the tiebreaker already in place by the league. OR, just leave it how it is. :doh:

The theory is the easier the schedule the worse team you really are, works for me.

I think they should have a playoff and the loser gets ther higher pick. :worthy: Of course 8 teams had 8-8 records but with Denver in the playoffs, let's exclude them, sooooooo then we could either have a lose one and you're out playoff or simply do a round robin with all 7 teams. That would only take 7 weeks because each week one team would have a bye sooooo, then the team with the worst record gets the highest picks, and so on. Any ties after this AND they should use the tiebreaker already in place by the league. OR, just leave it how it is. :doh:

The theory is the easier the schedule the worse team you really are, works for me.

Another system would be for the owner to plead his case to a jury about how impoverished he is, how much of a burden it all is, how he needs to feed his family, etc. and how much money he would save if he had a later pick. The jury could then give the higher pick to the owner they dislike the most and so on down the line. :D

Us and the Dolphins both finished 6-10 last season but they beat us twice and we wound up in last. How are they drafting in front of us?

Also the Bills points scored was better than the Fishs. I think that counts.

What kills me is the Bills are shown to be in last place int he AFCE on most of the sites. ignorant reporting as ususal by the mediots (media idiots).

They had to flip a coin between the Fins and Panthers because they had the same SoS. Good the Fins won, so that we pick ahead of them in R2-3.

Probability trivia: Always pick the side of the coin that is facing up at the start of the toss, you will up your chance of winning to 51% vs 49% for picking the side facing down.

Right, leave it how it is because it makes sense... :huh:

Seriously?

2 Teams in the same Division who played twice...Team #1 beats Team #2 twice by a WIDE margin of points. Team #1 finishes 3rd in the Division by tie-breaker, Team #2 comes in 4th...Team #1 of course picks before team #2...It's logical... :doh:

Look, I'm not asking to completely change the tie-breaker...But the 1st tie-breaker should be head-to-head, then Division FOR SURE, and maybe even Conference standings...Then go to strength of schedule...Not like it's rocket science for God's sake...A computer figures it out in a nanosecond... B-)

I'm sure a simpleton would prefer that to what is logical and correct... ;)

Right, leave it how it is because it makes sense... :huh:

Seriously?

2 Teams in the same Division who played twice...Team #1 beats Team #2 twice by a WIDE margin of points. Team #1 finishes 3rd in the Division by tie-breaker, Team #2 comes in 4th...Team #1 of course picks before team #2...It's logical... :doh:

Look, I'm not asking to completely change the tie-breaker...But the 1st tie-breaker should be head-to-head, then Division FOR SURE, and maybe even Conference standings...Then go to strength of schedule...Not like it's rocket science for God's sake...A computer figures it out in a nanosecond... B-)

I understand what your saying that it doesn't seem logical (a team in the same division, with the same record but do to divisional tiebreakers sits above the Bills because of their head-to-head games, ends up picking before Buffalo because the draft tie breakers are different then divisional seeding tie breakers.

But the only reason this happened, and it does not happen often, is because the draft has to look at tie breakers differently cause not all teams play each other, or play the same teams. The only way to fairly do it is to look at SoS. Miami may have beaten Buffalo twice, but they had a harder (or easier, not sure how its determined) schedule then Buffalo (using SoS)

The only thing I could see the league doing is saying that in this case, wehere 2 divisonal teams are tied, the draft tiebreaker goes head to head games to determine the tie breaker between those 2 teams, and SoS to determine where the other teams tied would be selecting around those teams (i.e. Buffalo would pick before Miami, but SoS would be used to dermine if Carolina would pick before Buffalo, or before or after Miami) OR They could just do a draft Lottery like the NHL and NBA do

Edited by apuszczalowski

Also the Bills points scored was better than the Fishs. I think that counts.

What kills me is the Bills are shown to be in last place int he AFCE on most of the sites. ignorant reporting as ususal by the mediots (media idiots).

The Bills were in last place in the AFCE, due to their head to head record against Miami. However, the draft order uses different tiebreakers than the division standings. That was the whole point of this thread.

The only thing I could see the league doing is saying that in this case, where 2 divisonal teams are tied, the draft tiebreaker goes head to head games to determine the tie breaker between those 2 teams, and SoS to determine where the other teams tied would be selecting around those teams (i.e. Buffalo would pick before Miami, but SoS would be used to dermine if Carolina would pick before Buffalo, or before or after Miami)

Exactly...That's all I'm saying...In this situation go head to head as the 1st tiebreaker, if the Teams split go to Divisional finish (that tie-breaker take precedence), then go to SoS after that...It's really not that hard...And it's fair... B-)

Exactly...That's all I'm saying...In this situation go head to head as the 1st tiebreaker, if the Teams split go to Divisional finish (that tie-breaker take precedence), then go to SoS after that...It's really not that hard...And it's fair... B-)

Eh... It rotates through the rounds. It makes a difference in the first round (especially high in the draft) but otherwise it's pretty much the same draft positions for teams with the same record. Seems pretty fair to me.