New England adds 7th Free Agent...

papazoid

Belichick's plan is obvious; they're bringing in a bunch of relatively low cost vets to add depth and competition. The Pats* are set up pretty well to improve themselves in the draft, so this makes sense.

I have to say Mathew I am impressed with your answer. I agree 100%.

I tend to think of you as a Glass half empty kind of guy or a self proclaimed "realist." I find your answer surprising, I feel a new dawn in Buffalo Bills history is approaching.

Hahaha! Thanks WSS. I never thought of myself that way though. Gee, last season I bet "bbb" $150 that they would win 10 games! I really like what the team is doing. Some of my posts might seem a bit extreme, but sometimes I'm just poking at people a bit. I love the Bills.

Kind of surprising that they've not added meaningful defensive help.

Maybe Pats are going with one WR, four TE sets.

Taken together.....I don't see how this makes any sense at all. WTF do they need another TE for, for that price? I understand competition at WR. They are screwed there, with Welker and Branch...:blink: Oh, wait. They need 3/4 WRs? And 2 TEs? Are they gonna be running the K gun? The Run and Shoot? :D I have been calling BS on the "genius" since they brought in Junior Seau and then Adalias Thomas<--- :lol:

Dude, Belechik's drafts since Pioli left, the OchoCincoFAIL, the deconstruction/neglect of a defense that won their SBs, it's getting to the point where we can safely conclude Belechik is a Peter Principle casualty.

Actually, it points to a Parcells-like departure, which would be hysterical.

buddy is asleep....ralph is cheap......etc...

March 19, 2012: Bills re-signed WR Derek Hagan.

March 15, 2012: ESPN's Adam Schefter reports via his Twitter that Mario Williams will be given a six-year deal from the Bills. He reports that the contract is worth up to $100 million dollars with $50 million guaranteed.

March 13, 2012: ProFootballTalk is reporting that DE Mario Williams and WR Robert Meachem will visit the Bills tonight.

March 12, 2012: According to Chris Brown of BuffaloBills.com, the Bills have given qualifying tender offers to RFA offensive linemen Chad Rinehart and Kraig Urbik.

March 9, 2012: Bills signed LB Kirk Morrison to a two-year, $3 million contract. Another $1 million is available through incentives.

March 8, 2012: Bills signed TE Scott Chandler to a two-year deal. No financial terms released as of yet.

March 7, 2012: Mark Ludwiczak CBSSports.com is reporting that the Bills have signed wide receiver Ruvell Martin to a one-year contract for $700,000.

March 5, 2012: Bills signed WR Steve Johnson to a five-year contract for $36.25 million. The deal includes $19.5 million guaranteed, and will pay Johnson over $24 million from 2012-2014.

1/6/12: Buffalo Bills signed seven future free agent signings. They were: LB Scott McKillop, DT Jay Ross, G Jake Vermiglio, LB Robert Eddins, CB Prince Miller, WR David Clowney and G Keith Williams.

1/30/12: Bills signed LS Garrison Sanborn to a three-year contract extension.

2/7/12: Bills signed K Rian Lindell to a four-year contract extension.

2/22/12: Bills CB Terrence McGee's (patella tendon surgery) "restructured" contract is actually a brand new two-year deal.As opposed to a restructuring, McGee lowered each of his final two base salaries and received a $300,000 signing bonus. His 2012 salary is now $1.35 million, and McGee can make $1.75 million in salary in 2013. Per Scout.com's Aaron Wilson, McGee will earn just over $4 million if he makes the Bills' roster in both seasons. Now being paid like a nickel back, McGee's 2012 salary cap number was lowered from $6.3 million this year to $3.78 million.

Yeah....that's terrible work. :lol:

Belichick's plan is obvious; they're bringing in a bunch of relatively low cost vets to add depth and competition. The Pats* are set up pretty well to improve themselves in the draft, so this makes sense.

To whom? Did the last 5 drafts make sense? I can see having a bad one here and there, but 5 mediocre to terrible drafts in a row?

The notion that it ALWAYS makes sense to trade down, and get 2 2nd round guys...instead of a really good guy....is what keeps Clay Mattews off their team. Imagine if the Pats had him, like they should have? And, when you miss on both 2nd rounders...or, if they are simply JAGs, your defense gets....worse....as it obviously has. When you keep doing that over and over...your defense gets....as bad as the Pats is now.

As always, this is draft time, so I could be wrong, per my sig. But, we are getting to point where the Pats are missing a lot more than they are hitting.

A such this looks, especially with signing the 30+ guys, like getting one more good year out of Brady, and then Belechik goes back to the media. Of course, that's what it looked like last year too. :D

To whom? Did the last 5 drafts make sense? I can see having a bad one here and there, but 5 mediocre to terrible drafts in a row?

The notion that it ALWAYS makes sense to trade down, and get 2 2nd round guys...instead of a really good guy....is what keeps Clay Mattews off their team. Imagine if the Pats had him, like they should have? And, when you miss on both 2nd rounders...or, if they are simply JAGs, your defense gets....worse....as it obviously has. When you keep doing that over and over...your defense gets....as bad as the Pats is now.

As always, this is draft time, so I could be wrong, per my sig. But, we are getting to point where the Pats are missing a lot more than they are hitting.

A such this looks, especially with signing the 30+ guys, like getting one more good year out of Brady, and then Belechik goes back to the media. Of course, that's what it looked like last year too. :D

I'm the last person to "defend" anything the Pats* do, but it seems to me they have a lot of holes to fill so bringing in a bunch of vets to compete and provide depth "makes sense." No more, no less. Yes, one can certainly take issue with the quality of their recent drafts.

ralph should make a comment about how the Pats are paying an awful lot for a #3 TE.

but the Pats can get these guys for 1 year deals, make 'em look good, then let them go and get compensatory picks for them when they sign more lucrative deals elsewhere.

problem for them is they never cash in.. always planning for the future, and not quite enough in the present.

Taken together.....I don't see how this makes any sense at all. WTF do they need another TE for, for that price? I understand competition at WR. They are screwed there, with Welker and Branch...:blink: Oh, wait. They need 3/4 WRs? And 2 TEs? Are they gonna be running the K gun? The Run and Shoot? :D I have been calling BS on the "genius" since they brought in Junior Seau and then Adalias Thomas<--- :lol:

Dude, Belechik's drafts since Pioli left, the OchoCincoFAIL, the deconstruction/neglect of a defense that won their SBs, it's getting to the point where we can safely conclude Belechik is a Peter Principle casualty.

Actually, it points to a Parcells-like departure, which would be hysterical.

Yeah....that's terrible work. :lol:

If the Pats had Matthews, they would likely have been the worst pass defense in history (2011 Packers) instead of the second worst (2011 pats).

It'll be interesting to see how their strategy works compared to ours. They seem to be investing in a wide range of solid players that can be had for relatively little money. While we put all of our eggs in one big basket.

Also, they aren't resigning their own guys. Merriweather left and Mark Anderson is still a FA. We did put all our eggs in the williams basket but the Patriots know about that too with Brady's monster contract. It will be interesting to see if the Patriots can continue to lose components and make it to playoffs again and again.

The pats are adding role players because they already have a solid core. Some years they sign a bunch of these types. They signed a bunch the year they won the first Super Bowl, their starting RB was Antwan Smith whom they signed off the scrap heap from us.

I don't think the Bills need to worry about any other team. The Pats don't. They worry about getting better THEMSELVES. Even during the season when they were running up scores, I think they were half serious when they would say "we are still working on improving, and working things out. Trying to perfect the offense". That's the right attitude. They wanted an offense that scored a touchdown EVERY possession. The Bills can get plenty better even if they don't add another player.

Basically, I don't care what the Patriots are doing.