My case for Michael Floyd

I truly believe that Buffalo is close to being a contender in the league, they are putting the pieces together to be a power house for years to come. With the 10th pick I think the Bills need to draft Michael Floyd, WR out of ND. Buffalo needs a tall receiver that can stretch the field and go up and grab the ball away from a defender. If you watch film on the kid you will see that not only can he stretch the field and out jump defenders for the ball but he is great in the screen game and is tough going across the middle of the field. Drafting Floyd will help create competition within our receivers and help set the foundation for years to come with a good 1-2 punch with Stevie out there.

Take a look at this highlight video to see for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2ZSkKwdE9I

is he a good kid? i know he has the dwi thing going for him, but is he a guy that has made some mistakes or a guy that just makes poor decisions? there's a big difference and that is definately something to check out thoroughly.

He was in college, kids make those kind of mistakes and he seems like he has matured and learned his lesson. Here are some quotes from him.

"I went out less—just kind of changed the whole environment around me. Friends. Just guys that I wouldn't have to be in that position of having to do things that would potentially put me in a troubled positions. I went to alcohol classes at school with a counselor with a whole bunch of kids from Notre Dame that were kind of going through some problems, too. It was a good experience and I liked it."

"People all the time have mistakes like this. Unfortunately it happened to me on a big stage going across the nation. It's about moving forward. It's about making sure you don't make the same mistake again. And just keeping a positive head and staying on the positive side of things."

At 6'3 224ish and a 4.42 40 I think the Bills need to grab this kid, he may take a year to fully develop under Gailey's offense but I am not expecting the Bills to be true contenders this year, maybe a wildcard team at best. Draft this kid and I see a very bright future for the Bills.

Couldn't agree more...

Michael Floyd < Reiff/Martin

Hmmm.....seems to be some contradiction in your post.

Floyd is very talented and seems to have a solid work ethic. And yes, he's a 'good kid'. So he got a DWI. Probably only 93% of the people on this board ever drove home after a few beers in college (or last night). And after that bust, he moved back on campus and was a model citizen his senior year. As an ND fan I would love to see Floyd do well in Buffalo.

However, I can't get away from the desire to add a solid OT -- it is a big need that must be addressed either via FA (meaning right now), or in the draft. Not having adequate tackles is the fastest way to kill an offense so I really think OT is the way to go at #10 and target another WR later in the draft.

I just do not see it.

I think Buddy likes to pick guys from his back yard for skill positions.

He believes if you want speed and size go to the south. I gotta concur.

Tackle is the pick. Buddy has pretty much said so in every interview. And since he has yet to lie about things like this, i hesitate to think he is now.

Hmmm.....seems to be some contradiction in your post.

Floyd is very talented and seems to have a solid work ethic. And yes, he's a 'good kid'. So he got a DWI. Probably only 93% of the people on this board ever drove home after a few beers in college (or last night). And after that bust, he moved back on campus and was a model citizen his senior year. As an ND fan I would love to see Floyd do well in Buffalo.

However, I can't get away from the desire to add a solid OT -- it is a big need that must be addressed either via FA (meaning right now), or in the draft. Not having adequate tackles is the fastest way to kill an offense so I really think OT is the way to go at #10 and target another WR later in the draft.

I agree with the idea of adding a solid OT, but I don't see one falling to us at number 10 that would justify that pick. I would love to see a team trade up with us giving us an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick allowing us to grab an OT at the right spot in the 1st, maybe Mike Adams, although I am not sold on his work ethic. With the extra draft pick I would package that and the 4th we received for Lee Evans and move back into the first for this kid...

Now we grab an OT, great WR with speed, height, and unbelievable hands, and still have picks remaining in all the rounds. I do think some teams will be very desperate to move up to the 10 spot to grab a player they love.

Floyd kinda looks and moves like stevie, Hill looks like more a big speed guy. Id lean more towards Hill personally

Sure, Hill looks like the combine champ, being bigger and faster. But, Floyd has the intangibles. He's fearless and focused. He attacks the catch. The way he extends for balls will make him Fitzy's best friend. The bigger question here should be if they should even select a WR. This class is deep. I say stock up on WRs in later rounds. Pick one of the DE or OLB prospects #1. I don't even care about offense anymore. I just wanna see Brady and Sanchez running for their lives next season.

Sure, Hill looks like the combine champ, being bigger and faster. But, Floyd has the intangibles. He's fearless and focused. He attacks the catch. The way he extends for balls will make him Fitzy's best friend. The bigger question here should be if they should even select a WR. This class is deep. I say stock up on WRs in later rounds. Pick one of the DE or OLB prospects #1. I don't even care about offense anymore. I just wanna see Brady and Sanchez running for their lives next season.

I disagree, I think there are 3 maybe 4 elite prospects after that there is red flags everywhere for guys like jeffries and randle. Jeffries literally is a hardy clone. I think LBS/D.Es are deep this class and offense as a whole is spotty. If Reiff or Clairborne falls to us at 10 though, there my guys. Otherwise I would like Floyd or trade down.

he has everything you want in a WR except game breaking speed (4.42 - 4.47 his combine) which is in the 4.3 range.

i saw alot of YAC, great hands and leaping ability.....but not one deep over the top catch.

i say Fitz needs more time to throw....therefore i place more of a need at Left Tackle.

which come first the chicken or the egg?

obviously we may sign a free agent that addresses either WR or LT before the draft.

I disagree, I think there are 3 maybe 4 elite prospects after that there is red flags everywhere for guys like jeffries and randle. Jeffries literally is a hardy clone. I think LBS/D.Es are deep this class and offense as a whole is spotty. If Reiff or Clairborne falls to us at 10 though, there my guys. Otherwise I would like Floyd or trade down.

I agree, last year our defense kept us in a lot of games, even towards the end when our offense was going 3 and out on 70% of their drives. I think a healthy Bills defense with the maturity of Aaron Williams and the addition of Mario should fall somewhere in the top 15, maybe even in the top 10 in the league. If our offense can average around 26 points per game on the season I think that will be enough for the defense to get the job done. With that said the addition of WR that can take pressure off of Stevie and stretch the field is key. Not only will it keep Stevie from being double teamed every play but it will force opposing defenses to clear the box leaving more running room for Jackson and Spiller. I say give Gailey another toy to work with and see him work his magic.

I think alot of this depends on whether Bell resigns or how comfortable they feel with Hairston as LT. I could see them going LT with the first pick and WR with the second or third. CB will be in the mix as well.