Mario LDE?

symbiant

As Per Rotoworld

Bills GM Buddy Nix says DE/OLB Mario Williams will play left defensive end, and that the Bills have no interest in using him as an outside linebacker.

Is he going to be LDE? If so, then we may still be in the market early for a speed rusher.

Always been a little unclear on this...does the LDE line up on the left side of the defensive front, or against the left side of the opposing OL?

Facing the offense, he will be on the left side. It's typically the side you put your bull rusher at. Just think Reggie White. RDE is more typically a speed rusher like Bruce used to be.

Facing the offense, he will be on the left side. It's typically the side you put your bull rusher at. Just think Reggie White. RDE is more typically a speed rusher like Bruce used to be.

Who was our RDE last year when we were in a 4 man front?

As Per Rotoworld

Bills GM Buddy Nix says DE/OLB Mario Williams will play left defensive end, and that the Bills have no interest in using him as an outside linebacker.

Is he going to be LDE? If so, then we may still be in the market early for a speed rusher.

So does kelsay go to the Right side?

Some combination of Merriman, Moats, Edwards, and Carrington depending on what point in the season we're talking about.

I'm thinking they might want Carrington in versus the run and Merriman on obvious passing downs. Hopefully keeping Merriman healthy a bit longer.

Unless they draft a DE.

I just assume that Kelsay will slide over and play RDE, with Merriman coming in on passing downs to strictly rush the passer if he is healthy. That really could be a ferocious rush. One of the many reasons Mario liked the fit and feel of choosing the Bills was that he wanted to play LDE, his college position, where he wasnt allowed to play in the pros. It also means that he will usually play against a team's RT and not LT, which is usually the lesser talent. It also leaves Merriman, if healthy, on the right side where he usually plays. Kelsay is probably decent enough to move to the right without much effect on his game. He really shouldnt be bad this year either. I can't wait for the season.

I just assume that Kelsay will slide over and play RDE, with Merriman coming in on passing downs to strictly rush the passer if he is healthy. That really could be a ferocious rush. One of the many reasons Mario liked the fit and feel of choosing the Bills was that he wanted to play LDE, his college position, where he wasnt allowed to play in the pros. It also means that he will usually play against a team's RT and not LT, which is usually the lesser talent. It also leaves Merriman, if healthy, on the right side where he usually plays. Kelsay is probably decent enough to move to the right without much effect on his game. He really shouldnt be bad this year either. I can't wait for the season.

In highlight reels, I've seen him line up on both sides in the NFL. Which, I think is great that he can do that. We can move him around depending on the team we're playing. :)

In highlight reels, I've seen him line up on both sides in the NFL. Which, I think is great that he can do that. We can move him around depending on the team we're playing. :)

In his rookie year I saw the Texans using him as the strong side end. Some teams don’t use a strictly right/left for their DL and LBs, the offensive formation will dictate which side of the line they play. This more common for LBs and the interior players, less common in the NFL for Des to flop sides I have noticed.

See I thought it might be Williams/Kelsay rotating in and out and then Carrington/Merriman on the right side. Carrington looked pretty good when he played the right side last year.

Edited by Wayne Cubed