Toronto Sun Article

CBD

Excerpt from article on main page this morning from the Toronto Sun written by Bill Lankhof:

Instead, it may just be another big lie — and we mean that in the nicest sense. Nix, in the tradition of Bills teams for more than a decade now, threw it all away.

“Our philosophy, or mine, or ours is that those big-money guys that hit the market at 12:01 or midnight, the way it used to be, if you’re not careful you’ll overspend on those guys and not get what you pay for,” Nix said. “We’ve been one to think you can pick up good players later on in free agency, and I’m talking about guys like Nick Barnett, receivers that we’ve picked up. They’re out there and they’ll be out there and that’s kind of been our philosophy along with building through the draft.”

Great. They’re sticking to their philosophy.

Good plan. You know, considering how well that it has worked out so far.

Quoted from WGR 550 radio interview:

“Our philosophy, or mine, or ours is that those big-money guys that hit the market at 12:01 or midnight, the way it used to be, if you’re not careful you’ll overspend on those guys and not get what you pay for. We’ve been one to think you can pick up good players later on in free agency, and I’m talking about guys like Nick Barnett, receivers that we’ve picked up. They’re out there and they’ll be out there and that’s kind of been our philosophy along with building through the draft. And when I say we're going to be aggressive I mean that this time if there is a difference maker there for us, not necessarily a position, but if there's a guy who can come in here who can immediately improve our football team, we'll get in the hunt early this time.
Link to Audio: http://audio.wgr550.com/a/52569585/3-1-buddy-nix-on-the-howard-simon-show.htm?q=buddy+nix+howard+simon

He completely cuts off Buddy's final statement in order to be able to write a slam piece on Buddy Nix and the Bills, what a joke.

Edited by Carey Bender

Excerpt from article on main page this morning from the Toronto Sun written by Bill Lankhof:

Link to Audio: http://audio.wgr550.com/a/52569585/3-1-buddy-nix-on-the-howard-simon-show.htm?q=buddy+nix+howard+simon

He completely cuts off Buddy's final statement in order to be able to write a slam piece on Buddy Nix and the Bills, what a joke.

It is sinking in for Torontonians that the NFL is not going to provide them with a franchise of their own. Their big city amour propre is wounded. Smug bastards.

If you look at the article again, he actually breaks up the quote and puts the last part first to make it seem like Nix is contradicting himself, which is even more misleading than leaving out that part of the quote altogether.

Since there are plenty of players out there that will make an immediate impact on this team, I'm assuming the Bills will be very busy from the start of free agency onward. At least they ought to be if what Buddy said is any indictation.

It is sinking in for Torontonians that the NFL is not going to provide them with a franchise of their own. Their big city amour propre is wounded. Smug bastards.

I don't see any connection between the NFL not coming to Toronto and this guy writing a crappy article.

My only issue with this is this: if Nix REALLY means what he says about impact FAs being there and being aggressive this year then the first thing they need to fo is lock up SJ. He is the biggest guaranteed impact player (only because we have first hand knowledge of him over the last few years and his injury and health status) and if we don't resign him were just turning the page to get the same story over and over again. Prove all of us wrong Bufdy, PLEASE!!!

Since there are plenty of players out there that will make an immediate impact on this team, I'm assuming the Bills will be very busy from the start of free agency onward. At least they ought to be if what Buddy said is any indictation.

I don't see any connection between the NFL not coming to Toronto and this guy writing a crappy article.

Oh I do. When it appeared the NFL was coming, the Sun played to the enthusiasm. Now that they are not, the narrative has switched.

Carey Bender, I want to thank you for sharing that information, and pointing out how careful us fans have to be when getting our info. Perhaps this is just a sign of Nix and company trying to bluff? We won't know for a while yet.

Sadly, I don't see the Bills really making much of a move. They admit LT and DE/OLB (addressing pass rush) are the priorities....but I don't see them throwing the big bucks at Mario Williams or anyone, and some of the others are just too old and beaten up. I'm not happy with the FA group this year...hoping for a good draft.

As for THE Center of the Universe....er, Toronto getting snubbed for now, let's work on that Niagra plan, and make it easier for them to get there, but keep the team on the U.S. side of the border. It's an extra few hours for people like me ( living just outside Ottawa), but the atmosphere at the tailgate parties is worth the drive.

Thanks again, C. Bender.

Nix won't be agressive, and we won't pick up any big names.

We can't even sign a guy who wants to play with us.

Sad but true. Our big FA WR will be a guy like Bryant Johnson and our FA DE will be someone like Jarvis Moss. Entirely unspectacular moves.

If you look at the article again, he actually breaks up the quote and puts the last part first to make it seem like Nix is contradicting himself, which is even more misleading than leaving out that part of the quote altogether.

Good analysis on your part. That really is a piece of shameful journalism. Of course, I still highly concerned that the basic premise of the article, that the Bills will do no better than break even in free agency, will be true. But, he completely distorts Nix's words to arrive at that conclusion.

Sad but true. Our big FA WR will be a guy like Bryant Johnson and our FA DE will be someone like Jarvis Moss. Entirely unspectacular moves.

Luckily, I don't believe a team needs a bunch of big names. I think if we can plug a few holes with solid guys and keep Johnson, we'll be in pretty good shape. It wasn't a fluke that we did well at the start of the season last year, imo...