How do I get these calls to stop?!?

bbb

Some ahole with my last name apparently did an online survey that he wants car insurance quotes.

And, this lead generation company must have matched my last name to this guy, since he probably didn't give a number.

I'm on the do not call list, so I never get telemarketing calls - until this week, when I'm getting deluged with calls for this guy who I've never heard of.

Anyway to get this to stop?

Mm-hmm. I'm also on the Do-Not-Call list.

And lately I'm getting a lot of calls from 877 (especially), 800, 888 and RESTRICTED numbers. I tried googling / reverse directory of some and a lot of people report answering only to discover dead air. What seems to be the case is telemarketers/survey-takers/etc. making multiple (6-10) calls at a time on spec that just a small percentage of lines will be open or will get someone who picks up.

Whatever, I too am getting REALLY sick of this. I just recently ported the landline over to a cellphone (we didn't want to lose this number; it's the one everyone in the extended family knows) and now if I were to just blindly pick these up, it uses minutes. Answer is, now that I have the caller ID thingy on the cell, I don't pick it up if it has these numbers or others that I don't have in my contact list or recognize. If it's important, they'll leave a message.

But it is a bother of me washing dishes or something and having to rush over to the cell 10 times a day... only to see it be one of these. There's not even an option for a block list (at least, I don't think there is).

Edited by UConn James

But it is a bother of me washing dishes or something and having to rush over to the cell 10 times a day... only to see it be one of these. There's not even an option for a block list (at least, I don't think there is).

What I showed one of my co-workers that was getting calls on his cell was to add them to the contact list with a name like "Don't pickup" and a certain ring tone so if he heard it ring with that tone, he knew he didn't have to pick it up.

What I showed one of my co-workers that was getting calls on his cell was to add them to the contact list with a name like "Don't pickup" and a certain ring tone so if he heard it ring with that tone, he knew he didn't have to pick it up.

Or you could just have some recorded silence as your ringtone. Then you wouldn't have to hear it.

But I think telemarketers have phone banks and lots of different numbers, so I don't know how well that would work.

Don't even use a ring tone... Just save it to the list and use "No ring tone." You won't even hear it! Why can't land line phones use a contact list? Maybe some do? Again, there should be a simple device where you can capture the number ( say a huge memory) and then just block it before it even rings through. ??

Or you could just have some recorded silence as your ringtone. Then you wouldn't have to hear it.

But I think telemarketers have phone banks and lots of different numbers, so I don't know how well that would work.

The only thing is you have to actively make the "database" with at least one ring through. There should be a wildcard system where it blocks say all 1.800. Like: 1.800.*.*

In this age of "robo calls" I am shocked there aren't more computer devices that aid the consumer in not letting numbers ring through!

Really? Just seems like capitalism at work. Just answer the phone and tell them you aren't interested. Funny how so called conservatives only like it when it's convenient for them. People have to sell product to have a job. Welcome to modern consumerism gone mad.

Don't even use a ring tone... Just save it to the list and use "No ring tone." You won't even hear it! Why can't land line phones use a contact list? Maybe some do? Again, there should be a simple device where you can capture the number ( say a huge memory) and then just block it before it even rings through. ??

The only thing is you have to actively make the "database" with at least one ring through. There should be a wildcard system where it blocks say all 1.800. Like: 1.800.*.*

In this age of "robo calls" I am shocked there aren't more computer devices that aid the consumer in not letting numbers ring through!

Like I said before, Google Voice.

I went to your link... But it didn't really say much on what it can do. I didn't want to open up an account. Can you give us a simple over view... How does it actually work with a landline that goes into a house?

There are different ways for it to work, but easiest is to get a google number that rings to any and all phones you want, land or cell.

Lots of excellent functions. Has a spam list that blocks known telemarketers and other spam calls. You can block any number you want or send groups of calls directly to voicemail. Can send any call to voicemail, listen in as the message is given and pick up during the call if you want. Record calls at any time during the call. Transfer the calls between all of your phones (start a call on your landline, send it to your cell and continue the call...all without the caller hearing noticing).

IMO, it's to phones what DVR's are to TV's.

NC has an attorney general that is very serious about this. I called the office a while ago and they sent me a few documents to fill out any time I get them. Often time I act interested in their product to get as much information as I can because when I would ask their name too quickly or inform them I do not want to be called and tell them I was on DNC they would hang up without answering questions. Fill out the papers and they are now online and the Att. Gen. will follow through.

I got an unauthorized dealer rep for ADT shut down single handedly.

I also troll them or just annoy the crap out of them with really nasty, dirty, mean, crazy stuff.

I'm actually thinking more in terms of getting off this one list. I just need to find the provider of the list I'm on.

Like James said, it's mostly 800 numbers, etc. that I don't answer. But, they've got me a few times with some local numbers that look like they are cell numbers.

NC has an attorney general that is very serious about this. I called the office a while ago and they sent me a few documents to fill out any time I get them. Often time I act interested in their product to get as much information as I can because when I would ask their name too quickly or inform them I do not want to be called and tell them I was on DNC they would hang up without answering questions. Fill out the papers and they are now online and the Att. Gen. will follow through.

I got an unauthorized dealer rep for ADT shut down single handedly.

I also troll them or just annoy the crap out of them with really nasty, dirty, mean, crazy stuff.

Nice work! I was trying to get the provider of the list from that called today from a local number, and then you can tell her supervisor cut the line off when she was about to tell me!

There are different ways for it to work, but easiest is to get a google number that rings to any and all phones you want, land or cell.

Lots of excellent functions. Has a spam list that blocks known telemarketers and other spam calls. You can block any number you want or send groups of calls directly to voicemail. Can send any call to voicemail, listen in as the message is given and pick up during the call if you want. Record calls at any time during the call. Transfer the calls between all of your phones (start a call on your landline, send it to your cell and continue the call...all without the caller hearing noticing).

IMO, it's to phones what DVR's are to TV's.

Cool! Thanks! I see now. It is tied into another number (Google number)... Sorry for being slow... I was trying to figure out how it worked! :doh:

I'm actually thinking more in terms of getting off this one list. I just need to find the provider of the list I'm on.

Like James said, it's mostly 800 numbers, etc. that I don't answer. But, they've got me a few times with some local numbers that look like they are cell numbers.

Nice work! I was trying to get the provider of the list from that called today from a local number, and then you can tell her supervisor cut the line off when she was about to tell me!

Just ask, I always got them when they said someone would contact me within a few days about it. They would basically sell that contact to a provider, but nonetheless, I would say who might contact me, I will be out of town this weekend and want to go ahead an schedule it. Also woo them, sound stupid. "Wow, how did you guys know I needed a new security system! My neighbors house got broken in to last week and she is looking at security system, too. Did she tell you?" "Oh, she did not? Well, you should call her, too. Her number is 1-212-479-7997. Who are you calling from, so I can tell her?" "Oh, ok, you cannot tell me, well where did you get my number so I can tell her to sign up?" or "Great, I will tell her that your company, wait, what is your company name?" "oh and independent contractor for XYZ? Ok, where are you then and do you have a number? She is really scared about getting some online scam or something, I signed up for an online lottery payout and got money taken from me."

Cool! Thanks! I see now. It is tied into another number (Google number)... Sorry for being slow... I was trying to figure out how it worked! :doh:

It works really well. You can even record different greetings for different numbers which is kinda cool. :)

I've heard that you can port existing numbers to be your google number, but I didn't look into it. I have Sprint for my cell service, and they are integrated with google so I was able to automatically use my Sprint number.

I love it.