Big Ben or Lee Evans

Rico

I was thrilled on draft day when Big Ben was taken ahead of us & the Bills drafted Evans. I thought Big Ben would be a Big Bust and, being a Big 10 fan, I knew that Evans would be a stud.

Well, obviously I was wrong about Ben :blink: ,

but I'm still glad we've got Evans instead.

All he does is make plays all over the field,

and he still has a world of upside.

He gets better every game he plays, and that speed!

The way he shifted gears on that end-around yesterday was just sick!

Barring injury, Evans will be a perrenial All-Pro,

I say the Steelers can keep Big Ben. ;)

I have really been impressed with Big Ben in the last few weeks. He is a very good QB already, and it doesn't necessarily show up in the stats. He was downright excellent the last two games.

180636[/snapback]

I agree. He's a much more mature QB than most rookies. He'll be just fine.

I am impressed with what Evans can do, though. I think both teams did well with their first round picks. Barring injury, I expect to see both players become great pros.

The main distinction I see is that Big Ben was placed in a somewhat controlled situation (good OL, run-first philosophy, and pick-me-up defense), and to his credit he hasn't hurt the team's cause.

Meanwhile, Evans has played a role in not only jump-starting the Bills' offense, but he has also taken over as the team's top receiver. Not too shabby, considering the team's (over)reliance on Moulds. Thus, he not only found himself in a less favorable situation than Big Ben -- but he also had to contend with building up the respect of teammates (Drew in particular) to FORCE his own production.

All in all, it is very difficult to say which one I would rather have. Considering that Evans' emergence has also served to salvage Bledsoe's season -- and ostensibly his career -- we are no longer in the dire straights at QB that I once thought that we were. Thus, I can hardly complain about how things have worked their way out.

I have really been impressed with Big Ben in the last few weeks. He is a very good QB already, and it doesn't necessarily show up in the stats. He was downright excellent the last two games.

180636[/snapback]

He looked alot better yesterday with his security blanket (Burris) back. It'll be VERY interesting to see how hard they try to keep him.

Err...historrrrrrical perspective, top wr vs. top qb...?

Wake up. ;)

180758[/snapback]

That ignores Montana's largest weakness: lack of arm strength. Getting to see his performance at Rich in the playoff game against KC validated that emphatically. It wasn't something he occasionally struggled with, more like the rule. He was an average (or worse) QB when the wind was blowing, especially when it was cold.

Rice had no such short comings. He was truly the best player on the football field every week for about 15 years.

That ignores Montana's largest weakness: lack of arm strength.  Getting to see his performance at Rich in the playoff game against KC validated that emphatically.  It wasn't something he occasionally struggled with, more like the rule.  He was an average (or worse) QB when the wind was blowing, especially when it was cold.

Rice had no such short comings.  He was truly the best player on the football field every week for about 15 years.

180768[/snapback]

Darn those SB wins, darn them...4 SB's, three-time SB MVP's for Montana, Darn those passes to Craig.

Are you actually saying you would choose a long-time All-Pro WR over a perennial All-Pro QB????

Sure, Rice helped Montana, AND Montana helped Rice... Occasionally, a wr makes a qb shine - Marlin Briscoe with Dennis Shaw, Dick Gordon and Jack Concannon, etc....

Darn those SB wins, darn them...4 SB's, three-time SB MVP's for Montana, Darn those passes to Craig.

Are you actually saying you would choose a long-time All-Pro WR over a perennial All-Pro QB????

Sure, Rice helped Montana, AND Montana helped Rice...  Occasionally, a wr makes a qb shine - Marlin Briscoe with Dennis Shaw,  Dick Gordon and Jack Concannon, etc....

180812[/snapback]

Teams win Super Bowls, not individual players. Not every great QB is suited to every situation and there are a number of great QBs who'd have had VERY good success with the Niners teams that both Montana and Young played with.

I don't think Montana would have had near the success if he played regularly for a bad weather team. That's my opinion and comes from years of watching him struggle in the elements (49-3 loss at the Meadowlands in the playoffs and woeful performance at Rich in the playoffs are glaring examples of my point). You obviously have yours. In this case, as GM of the BILLS, I'd rather have Rice than Montana. Were I GM of the Dolphins or another good weather team, the inverse would be true.

I remember them...

thanks for making me feel really old. ;)

180822[/snapback]

Yep. IN the days of bump and run...and head slaps...

1970:

Gordon and the Magician get 50+ catches. Talents like TO, Harrison, Moulds, name a name = 20 balls (maybe) and cry cry cry.

2004:

Gordon and the Magician get 160 catches. Freddie Biletnikoff gets 200.

The NFL made the transition from football to show biz some time ago...

:)

Teams win Super Bowls, not individual players.  Not every great QB is suited to every situation and there are a number of great QBs who'd have had VERY good success with the Niners teams that both Montana and Young played with.

I don't think Montana would have had near the success if he played regularly for a bad weather team.  That's my opinion and comes from years of watching him struggle in the elements (49-3 loss at the Meadowlands in the playoffs and woeful performance at Rich in the playoffs are glaring examples of my point).  You obviously have yours.  In this case, as GM of the BILLS, I'd rather have Rice than Montana.  Were I GM of the Dolphins or another good weather team, the inverse would be true.

180831[/snapback]

I think folks routinely make the mistake of forgetting that NFL football is ultimately a team game and they focus too much on simple comparisons of this player to that player when the key is a decision about which player fits best into the format developed for your team to become a TEAM.

From what I've seen from too many years of paying attention to this game is that the key to the best teams is when the whole is far better than the sum of the individual parts. The main interest I have in Big Ben is because of the failings we had at the beginning of the season with out over-orientation to the importance of the QB position. If getting Big Ben had the same resulting dimunition of the importance of the QB role which it had for Pitts I would have been all for him being our choice. Yet, if we had spent a 1st rounder on him I think our team actually would be the weaker for it because Evans has meant a lot for Moulds game returning to something like the performance with Peerless of the old days in terms of our offense as a whole being effective.

I think folks routinely make the mistake of forgetting that NFL football is ultimately a team game and they focus too much on simple comparisons of this player to that player when the key is a decision about which player fits best into the format developed for your team to become a TEAM.

From what I've seen from too many years of paying attention to this game is that the key to the best teams is when the whole is far better than the sum of the individual parts. 

180853[/snapback]

This is what makes the Pats a great team...