40 Time with Pads

1B4IDie

I don't remember the last time I saw a WR streak down the field in a unitard during an NFL game.

Wouldn't it make more sense if at the combine & helmets (Thanks Offsides Number 76) thats the players had pads on during the drills?

Great you run a 4.31 with sprinting shoes on and not much more, but can you carry the weight?

It'd be much more interesting to see the Delta between a 40 with pads and without pads.

Just an idea after reading this article:

"We put a little bit of stock into it; we're not going to say we don't," said San Francisco General Manager Trent Baalke. "But we're not going to over-evaluate the 40 time. There are going to be those guys who come here and run in the upper 4.3s and lower 4.4s, and you're going to turn on the film and you don't see it. They're going to be 4.6 guys all day long in pads. Once again, there's the mentality of do you buy into the watch or do you buy into the film? I hope that we continue to buy into the film."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article742376.ece

Edited by Why So Serious?

Not everyone wears the same type of shoulder pads, helmets, cleats, pants etc. To eliminate variables - no pads.

Or everyone wears the same pads, helmets, cleats, pants, (in their size of ofcourse) etc to eliminate variables and show closer to real world performance.

I've been saying this since I joined the board.

In the early 80s, the legendary Don Coryell would have his players race in full football gear.

His teams had fleet wide receivers such as Wes Chandler, John Jefferson, and Charlie Joiner.

But the two fastest guys on the team when wearing full gear were tight end Kellen Winslow and power running back Chuck Muncie.

At the combine the players should run the 40 in football shoes and pants, shoulder pads and helmets.

Really fast guys are really fast. Even with a helmet on.

Yes but its possible that a big WR runs a 4.6 in a unitard and 4.65 in pads, Where a little burner may run a 4.31 in a unitard and 4.65 in full pads.

The pads are going to effect different body types, differently. I and atleast SJBF think it'd be more useful information.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I don't remember the last time I saw a WR streak down the field in a unitard during an NFL game.

Wouldn't it make more sense if at the combine & helmets (Thanks Offsides Number 76) thats the players had pads on during the drills?

Yes it would. But you're getting too close to that dangerous realm of logic, reason, and common sense. :thumbsup:

Yes but its possible that a big WR runs a 4.6 in a unitard and 4.65 in pads, Where a little burner may run a 4.31 in a unitard and 4.65 in full pads.

The pads are going to effect different body types, differently. I and atleast SJBF think it'd be more useful information.

Probably, but anyone would say "well that's what film is for." though I agree it's more useful - how much more is questionable.

Great you run a 4.31 with sprinting shoes on and not much more, but can you carry the weight?

It'd be much more interesting to see the Delta between a 40 with pads and without pads.

Just an idea after reading this article:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article742376.ece

EXACTLY!

Both yours, and the SF GM's quotes are right on.

This is football, not track. Putting much stock in these numbers would be like having all of the potential hockey draft picks play basketball to determine their hockey value.

A lot of what makes a good 40 time is your initial stance and form off the line(never used in football), reaction time, and your form while running in a straight line. This does not translate well to football speed. If anything shuttle times would be more related to football movement.

How a guy runs with pads, with players around him, while tracking the football cannot be expressed via the 40 yard dash.

The combine is there to get a close look at all of the players in one place, the numbers themselves are just dressing. These guys have plenty of tape of REAL football to go off of.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Next the DB'S will have to guard WR's instead of on air for their drills... and the DL will actually have to beat OL in the drills instead of dummies....and the broad jump, vertical and cone drill will all be done with pads. All of this in the name of making it as real as possible. They'll never run 40's in pads. The combine will never be done in pads.