Laron Landry "hulkamania"

Yeah no doubt Landry is a monster in the box.

I've had him on my FF team for two years and we give individual defensive player points for tackles, sacks, ints, FF, FR, etc.

Based solely on that Landry makes an impact on football games but I think you guys nailed it in that he's not your Ed Reed type safety in terms of covering the entire field and making big plays in the passing game.

Sean Taylor on the other hand was the first safety to remind me of Kenny Easley.

I've agreed with everything you've said about him. I may be unfairly soured from the 2009 saints game that he embarrassed himself in, but the games I've seen since are similarly up and down. He can make great plays but he seems to lack that elite center field speed and instinct to read plays intelligently on a consistent basis. He's closer to a good LB than a great safety in my book.

I've seen a ton of espn highlights but it seems when I watch full games I never come away impressed like I expect. Pump fakes and double moves seem to eat him alive.

Edited by NoSaint

Living in Redskin territory I get to see a lot of Redskin coverage on local tv and Landry is Donte Whiffner jr. He gets his one big hit a game, but at the expense of pass coverage. And they have an eerily similar penchant for whiffing on tackles by trying way too hard to make a monster hit.

Edited by benderbender

David Boston also got that size using a major dose of HGH which lead to a lot of the injuries that ended his career. Looking at Landry though, it might be hard to argue he isnt also juicing to some degree.

Dude, this is TOTALLY HGH with Steroids.

I don't understand why everyone is so afraid to call a spade a spade.

Does anything about that look natural? How about the jaw line? The forehead? Steroids have these effects with the mandible, and tend to have users resemble the fascial characteristics of cro-magnon men that men of the 21st century.

The swelling of the abdomen is also a tell-tale sign of HGH use. Human Growth Hormone helps in recovery and in reducing bodyfat to an absolute minimum. One problem with HGH though is that everything tends to be stimulated from it- including organs and intestinal bulk. He may have little bodyfat, but look at how that gut swells/ bloats.

Bodybuilding tells a great tale. Look at it from the 40's and 50's, before anabolics destroyed it, and there was some great variety in physique. Look at pics from the 60's and 70's, and take the champions of those days at their word (Arnold, for one) of using anabolic steroids, and you can tell the difference in physique. These guys were ripped and looked as though they were built out of rock.

Then in the late 80's and early 90's, physiques began to take a turn for the cartoonish. HGH was added to the mix of anabolics, and now you had cartoon muscles that looked like they were plastic.

Heck, go look online and look at pictures of natural cows, then look at cows that are given rBGH (recombitant Bovine Growth Hormone). Ridiculous, but the muscle structure looks exactly like what Landry looks like.

It ain't natural, folks.

The Redskins wanted him to go under the knife last year for an achilles problem. He declined, believing that he can avoid surgery and use unconventional methods to get back to form. Not only has he dismissed the recommendation of the organization's medical staff but he has also dismissed the opinions of outside doctors who recommended an operation to fix the achilles problem.

Odds are that he is going to be cut by the Skins if he doesn't agree to a relatively minimal contract because of the medical concerns. He continues to believe that he can rehab on his own and end up with a lucrative contract with either the Skins or another organization.

Most likely he is going to get cut by the Redskins and no team is going to give him the contract that he desires. Laron Landry might be a great athlete but his thinking process is very limited.

Case in point- remember those old high school Health classes talking about the evils of anabolic steroids?

One of them, if you recall, was that anabolics help increase muscle tissue, but do nothing for connective tissue like ligaments and tendons that keep muscle tissue attached to bone.

When these muscles get so big and begin to produce more force than the surrounding connective tissue can support, tears happen. The Achilles being a TENDON, is a perfect example.

I would be interested in an independent, 3rd party (because I don't trust the NFL to police itself- case in point, Landry is clearly on steroids and HGH) study done over the course of the past 5 decades to look at the type, severity, and recovery time from injuries.

I argue that the NFL today sees more anabolics/ steroid-related injuries (biceps tears, tricep tears, pectoral tears, achilles tendon tears, etc) than in any point in history.

I would love to research the types of injuries from the 60's, and compare them to the types of injuries of today.