Robert Meachem

iLikeChix

I want a guy like SJ13 who will be well under 30 next fall. V Jackson reminds me of Keyshawn a great receiver who got old and slow fast like Moulds. V Jackson is 29 and has maybe 2 great years in him.

There's some serious generalizations here. We have no idea how much good ball Vjax has left but he reminds me none whatsoever of Keyshawn. Totally different IMO.

Probably another guy we won't get but I (like others here) like Laurent Robinson.

If the bills don't sign stevie, I think he will be the next best thing for a consolation prize. The guy is the same age as stevie, has potential, and is just slightly less productive in terms of stats. It would be amazing if they were able to get both, but I don't know how serious they are about keeping stevie and getting a threat next to him in one season.

I don't think that Meachem "sucked" at UT. Below is an excerpt from his scouting report.

-In 2006, he earned All-American and All-Southeastern Conference first-team honors.

-Ranked fourth in the nation with an average of 99.85 yards per game receiving

-He led Tennessee with a career-high 71 catches for a school single-season record 1,298 yards (18.3 avg), including 11 touchdowns.

-NFLDraftscout.com

Meachem was a 1st round draft choice and an extremely productive player at UT. The "sucked" comment does not have any basis. Plus, Nix loves taking players that were previously high on his board. It is not a certainty that Meachem was high on his board, but there is a good possibility based on Buddy's preference towards tall and fast receivers. His choice to bring in Kraig Urbik was purely based on where he had Urbik slotted in an earlier NFL Draft.

Vincent Jackson and Dwayne Bowe are definitely more proven than Meachem. I think it's highly unrealistic that the Bills could get Jackson, Bowe, Garcon, Colston, or Lloyd. I would not want to see Manningham on the Bills and do not think that he is better than Meachem.

As someone that's seen every game he's played dating back to some highschool play - just say no. He's just not that good. Bad drops, so-so routes, his only strength is blocking.

Right on NoSaint. I seen all his college games as well (live 1 hr from UT) and he never impressed me AT ALL. He has WORKOUT numbers, but just isn't that good at all.

I'll say he'd be a good #3 type player getting a role in an offense but to make him a focus just wouldn't be a good choice. His workouts and highlights just don't seem to show on the field consistently. There's no reason he shouldn't be much better - problem is he just isn't.

There's some serious generalizations here. We have no idea how much good ball Vjax has left but he reminds me none whatsoever of Keyshawn. Totally different IMO.

I agree.

VJax is much more of a field stretcher than Keyshawn.

A more apt comparison to Keyshawn would be Brandon Marshall… and I think Marshall is better than Keyshawn was.

Hell no to Meachem!
As someone that's seen every game he's played dating back to some highschool play - just say no. He's just not that good. Bad drops, so-so routes, his only strength is blocking.

Agreed. He's a stiff and I hope the Bills don't even entertain the thought of signing him...but it would be typical of this organization to think they could replace SJ with the likes of Robert Meachem. Ugh.

I llike Meachem, however, if we are committed to Fitz for the foreseeable future, then we probably shouldnt worry about a deep threat, but instead a crossing route wr, or guy that can split the seams. Fitz 33% downfield comp % doesnt instill much confidence for a deep threat to thrive here IMO. U.less its a guy that can really win alot of jump ball situations and has great body control.

I feel that UFA Robert Meachem would be a great addition to the Bills roster. Meachem has the size (6'2'' 210 lbs) and deep speed (4.39 forty) that the Bills are looking for in a receiver. Meachem is a young player who proved he can be a productive (especially downfield) when called upon in New Orleans. With so many other options in New Orleans such as Jimmy Graham, Marques Colston, Reggie Bush, Darren Sproles,etc it has been hard for Meachem to really showcase his full potential. Because of this, I feel the Bills could sign Meachem for a very good value relative to the other FA receivers such as Vincent Jackson. Here is a scouting report for Meachem http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/431497

My Mock Draft so Far

1. DE. Quinton Coples. North Carolina. 6’6’’ 285 lbs

2. WR. Rueben Randle. LSU. 6’3’’ 208 lbs.

3. OLB. Bruce Irvin West Virgina.6’ 3’’ 246 lbs.

4. T. Mark Reynolds. BYU 6’4’’ 305 lbs.

5. CB. Donnie Fletcher. Boston College. 6’1’’ 195 lbs

Meachem yes Mock NO! :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I like Meachem but I think that Garcon is the best FA wide receiver for the Bills, if I had my choice.

All of the other receivers out there like your Meachems and your Vincent Jacksons have had great quarterbacks throwing to them so you have to evaluate whether they can perform without a Brees and Rivers arm throwing their way.

Garcon had the equivalent of a fan from the stands throwing balls from the QB position and excelled. He has proven he can perform regardless of the skill level at QB and that is a valuable commodity.

Great post. Surprised to see someone that shares my exact thoughts on the subject. Garcon is underrated, yet terrific. He may not be big, doesn't have the best hands in the league, but the guy is lighting fast, and can make plays all over the field. He actually reminds me a lot of SJ, but faster (and SJ isn't slow).

As important as anything else, I think he would fit the Bills scheme perfectly. A guy that can get open quickly, and runs short routes well, he can also go deep with that great speed. Guys like VJ, are one dimensional. Good deep threats, but struggle on short and intermediate routes. VJ was the model of inconsistency last year, only having a few good games and disappearing for long stretches of the season. Garcon WILL get open, and WILL make plays.

I llike Meachem, however, if we are committed to Fitz for the foreseeable future, then we probably shouldnt worry about a deep threat, but instead a crossing route wr, or guy that can split the seams. Fitz 33% downfield comp % doesnt instill much confidence for a deep threat to thrive here IMO. U.less its a guy that can really win alot of jump ball situations and has great body control.

This too, we need a guy that can play all over the field, not just a deep threat. It's not just Fitz that struggles with deep throws, Gailey loves that short spread passing attack with draw runs. He doesn't really call for a lot of downfield throwing.

His only strength is blocking? Interesting viewpoint. youtube.com/watch?v=cxg3-vs_yX4

That's his consistent strength - yes. He is a staple of the saints run and screen packages which helps him get space when they do pass with him out there. He's had some awful drops, isn't a great route runner - ie the mental part of being a great downfield receiver seems to have been slow coming. He's got potential to be a big physical fast receiver but he just doesn't seem to put it together the way you'd expect.

Meachem yes Mock NO! :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

When i looked at your mock, is it what you want or think will happen?

Buddy was signed as GM for one reason, his knowledge of the South East. If you look at who the Bills have drafted and signed in undrafted FA since he has been here you will see i am correct.

If your mock is what you like, fine. But no way in hell there are not 4 or 5 southerners on the Bills by the end of the draft.