netflix sleeper movies, series

birdog1960

I totally agree with the both of you -- about both the movie and Julie Delpy, of course. I like her in a number of movies, but one that you guys may like is Killing Zoe.

Good call...I really enjoyed both that film and the sequel. Just really cool to see a dialogue driven film where the main characters are taking in the european scenery...both solid films and I agree about Delpy. She's still looking pretty good, actually.

I agree with you as well - both with respect to the series and Lady Mary. Unfortunately, I got into it just after season 2 was shown on PBS. Season 2 has a very long wait on Netflix. I may have to break down and buy it.

We recently discovered this one and just finished season one. Very good show, love the historical context. And Lady Mary!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree with the both of you -- about both the movie and Julie Delpy, of course. I like her in a number of movies, but one that you guys may like is Killing Zoe.

another movie with the same natural dialogue and flow as "before sunrise" is "once". unfortunately not yet on netflix despite it being made 6 years ago. still worth looking out for. made for about $200k. has made $9million. won best original song oscar. steven spielberg said it inspired him for a year.

Edited by birdog1960

another movie with the same natural dialogue and flow as "before sunrise" is "once". unfortunately not yet on netflix despite it being made 6 years ago. still worth looking out for. made for about $200k. has made $9million. won best original song grammy. steven spielberg said it inspired him for a year.

Dude, you liked "Before Sunrise"?

That's a 150-point deduction on your Man Card. And a Man Card only has 100 points.

I agree with you as well - both with respect to the series and Lady Mary. Unfortunately, I got into it just after season 2 was shown on PBS. Season 2 has a very long wait on Netflix. I may have to break down and buy it.

We borrowed it from friends -- just started Season 2 last night.

another movie with the same natural dialogue and flow as "before sunrise" is "once". unfortunately not yet on netflix despite it being made 6 years ago. still worth looking out for. made for about $200k. has made $9million. won best original song grammy. steven spielberg said it inspired him for a year.

Once is a great movie. Not for all people, and perhaps not for a lot of the semen hemen here. But a terrific little film to watch with your wife or girlfriend.

Dude, you liked "Before Sunrise"?

That's a 150-point deduction on your Man Card. And a Man Card only has 100 points.

geez, i'm so embarrassed :lol: who knew you were the keeper of points for a man card? i always thought it had more to do with possession of an appendage and not a card.

i've been pretty disappointed in "recommended for you" picks. the lesser known things i've watched and liked were mostly found by trial and error. any sleeper movies, series that you would recommend?

i'll start with one of each i've found recently:

"cashback": a british flick about freezing time

"doc martin": a british series set in cornwall about a grumpy surgeon who develops a blood phobia and becomes a gp. feel free to include sleepers from other sites such as amazon prime and in any genre.

sorry if it was mentioned before but I just finished watching "The United states of Tara" was excellent series from Showtime I highly recommend.

The best way to get a better recommendations is to instant Que your favorite movies after your rate and watch them. I higher the rating your gives your movies or series is what type of shows Netflix will recommend.

Check out a show called "United States of Tara".

I was hooked after the first show, didnt think id like it judging the title but there are some good looking ladys on the show and it was very well written.

Plus if you havent seen "Weeds" before do so with quickness. I just think its a must see and it landed some very good documentories in my top ten about the plant that i found very interesting to watch.

Forgot about "Once"...good call. I loved that movie and, of course, the music.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe it's been mentioned in this thread, but just a note that the Will Ferrell drama "Everything Must Go" (based on a Raymond Carver story) is new to Netflix streaming.

I think he does his best work when he gets out of the goofy characters. "Stranger Than Fiction" was a pearl. It's also interesting to note how much harder it seems for drama actors to do comedy well than for comedy actors to hit some performances out of the park when they go serious e.g. Sandler in Punch Drunk Love and Reign Over Me.

I believe it's been mentioned in this thread, but just a note that the Will Ferrell drama "Everything Must Go" (based on a Raymond Carver story) is new to Netflix streaming.

I think he does his best work when he gets out of the goofy characters. "Stranger Than Fiction" was a pearl. It's also interesting to note how much harder it seems for drama actors to do comedy well than for comedy actors to hit some performances out of the park when they go serious e.g. Sandler in Punch Drunk Love and Reign Over Me.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out. I agree...Ferrell is much better doing the drama type movies. I wish he'd do more.

Just saw Attack the Block over the weekend. Now THAT is an amazing sleeper movie! It's one of my faves now!

youtube.com/watch?v=cD0gm7dHKKc

Amazing acting, memorable characters, just a A+ movie.

If you liked Attack the Block, make sure to check out Grabbers when it's released here at some point this year. You'll dig it.

Just checked it out. Sounds really cool! Will definitley see it!

One of my buddies wrote it so I lived and died with it throughout all its various stages. I finally got to see the final product at Sundance this year and it made me incredibly proud. It's a great little film.

As for a netflix recommendation to the thread:

Workaholics ... don't think this has been mentioned but I discovered it at the end of its second season and quickly became addicted. A new season starts in May I think on Comedy Central.

One of my buddies wrote it so I lived and died with it throughout all its various stages. I finally got to see the final product at Sundance this year and it made me incredibly proud. It's a great little film.

As for a netflix recommendation to the thread:

Workaholics ... don't think this has been mentioned but I discovered it at the end of its second season and quickly became addicted. A new season starts in May I think on Comedy Central.

Say...Have you seen The Strangers or Blair Witch Project?

Say...Have you seen The Strangers or Blair Witch Project?

Yup. Saw Blair Witch opening night with my brother. I remember hearing people talking before the movie started about how the movie was a real documentary. I laughed, trying to figure out how they could actually fall for that. Then the movie proceeded to scare the hell out of me. So the joke was on me. Though, the second time I saw it -- with the novelty worn away and just focused on the storytelling -- I found it to be incredibly boring. The novelty of the "found footage" genre was so profound it covered up the (imo) boring story. So no matter what you think of the movie, you have to give them credit for being ballsy and creating something unique in the genre.

I saw the Strangers on dvd -- I'm not a huge fan of the genre, so I'm a bad judge on these things. It was okay to me, but just seemed like I had seen it before.

Yup. Saw Blair Witch opening night with my brother. I remember hearing people talking before the movie started about how the movie was a real documentary. I laughed, trying to figure out how they could actually fall for that. Then the movie proceeded to scare the hell out of me. So the joke was on me. Though, the second time I saw it -- with the novelty worn away and just focused on the storytelling -- I found it to be incredibly boring. The novelty of the "found footage" genre was so profound it covered up the (imo) boring story. So no matter what you think of the movie, you have to give them credit for being ballsy and creating something unique in the genre.

I completely disagree. I found the backstory about the witch and how that crazy guy murdered those kids really interesting, and it helped make the ending a lot scarier. I've seen it twice, and it scared the bliddy hell out of me both times. It's my No. 4 fav movie, and the scariest movie I've ever seen. BUT...Im planning on seeing (REC) so maybe that'll change? Have you seen it?

I completely disagree. I found the backstory about the witch and how that crazy guy murdered those kids really interesting, and it helped make the ending a lot scarier. I've seen it twice, and it scared the bliddy hell out of me both times. It's my No. 4 fav movie, and the scariest movie I've ever seen. BUT...Im planning on seeing (REC) so maybe that'll change? Have you seen it?

I wanted to catch it at Sundance actually but I missed it. I've heard a lot of mixed things on it around town here, mostly on the negative side though. I'll still check it out at some point though. I'm just beginning to suspect that the found footage angle has run its course in horror. I think the only way you can do a found footage now and have it feel exciting is to switch up the genres -- like they did with Chronicle. They did a found footage movie about a super-hero. That made the super hero genre feel fresh again in some ways.