The Grammys

birdog1960

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is true rock, btw?

"True rock" is the perpetual belief that musical innovation is ruinous. I bet the Beatles were considered not "true _____" at their outset.

There was a ton of resistance to the electric guitar once upon a time, right?

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

I respect the hell out of her decision. She's obviously a mega-millionaire at this point due to "21", but instead of growing her "brand" or whatever and becoming a plutocrat she's going to use her considerable means to focus on family.

Having talent isn't a mandate to use it.

that and she might be a little worried about another hemorrhagic laryngeal polyp. i would be.

she's not everyones cup of tea and thats always the case with music. that's fine. i'm impressed that almost no one attacks her as a person. that's pretty rare in someone with so much success so young. i've listened to her since my mother in law brought us "19" from england before she was really well known here. listened to the cd multiple times the first week and i liked it more and more. i still like it more than "21". while it's probably, on average, an older crowd that listens to her, the number of overall sales would suggest many young listeners, too. but i wouldn't be surprised if she gets back to showing off her talent sooner than she now expects.

I respect the hell out of her decision. She's obviously a mega-millionaire at this point due to "21", but instead of growing her "brand" or whatever and becoming a plutocrat she's going to use her considerable means to focus on family.

Having talent isn't a mandate to use it.

From her speech, and some of her interviews, she sounds to me like somebody who, maybe even more than the family issue, is just having a difficult time coping with the pressure of having one of the biggest selling records in a couple of years. She likely is wise, artistically, to take time off.

Taking your show on the road, to promote a "new" record, after it has been out for 2 or 3 years can drain an artist's creativity. It has happened time and again. Sometimes winning that Grammy can be a curse.

btw- I didn't wasn't trying to be "so mean" about Adele...

Edited by Buftex

For me, 46 is the new 60! :P

i was thinking 51 is the new 42 but i'm a little delusional. anybody notice levon helm won best americana record for "rumble at the ryman" recorded in 2008! i've heard some pretty damn good americana in the last 4 years but i'm sure helms is deserving.

From her speech, and some of her interviews, she sounds to me like somebody who, maybe even more than the family issue, is just having a difficult time coping with the pressure of having one of the biggest selling records in a couple of years. She likely is wise, artistically, to take time off.

Taking your show on the road, to promote a "new" record, after it has been out for 2 or 3 years can drain an artist's creativity. It has happened time and again. Sometimes winning that Grammy can be a curse.

btw- I didn't wasn't trying to be "so mean" about Adele...

Alanis Morissette immediately comes to mind.

i was thinking 51 is the new 42 but i'm a little delusional. anybody notice levon helm won best americana record for "rumble at the ryman" recorded in 2008! i've heard some pretty damn good americana in the last 4 years but i'm sure helms is deserving.

Levon...Levon likes his money. He makes a lot, they say.

Levon...Levon likes his money. He makes a lot, they say.

My very first boss thought for an entire season that my name was really "Levon" and that I was lying on my working papers. He'd sing that !@#$ing song all the time when I was around.

:thumbsup: Agreed on Cake....liked Nirvana, and I think Foo Fighters suck ass.

As for Adele...I guess I may get some flack...but I don't really care for her...I actually liked a song from her first album (can't remember the name, "Right as Rain" I think) and I know she can sing..but I just find that kind of thing a bit dull... now that she has announced that she is taking "4 or 5 years off", post Grammy's, she will likely go the way of other Grammy divas...you know, a new album every 5 years, lots of hype...dull as can be!

http://www.aol.com/video/adele-plans-5year-break-from-music/517272447/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl5%7Csec3_lnk2%26pLid%3D135830

Workig in a music store, I suspect our bins to be full of used Adele CD's in about a year.

cake used to be good

nirvana, love

foo fighters, they are ok. i guess i understand why people like them. i used to like them, but never crazy about them.

adele. the 21 album is actually a b+. why? most of the songs are ok. BUT 3 OF THEM ARE A++++ which make up for the slower ones. she has mad vocals and a lot of soul. true singer.

ps. the 3 songs are rolling in the deep, someone like you, set fire to the rain.