Comeback player of the year..

Was reading Mark Gaughn's little column about how Mcgahee should be the NFL's comeback player of the year over Drew Brees..and I think he has a right..Mcgahee defintely has overcome more in his SHORT career as of late and to crack 1000 yards and 11 Tds on a totally reconstructed knee is pretty incredible in my opinion..

Don't get me wrong drew brees has played incredible as well this season..after being benched last season, and pretty much shown the door in april after the Rivers pick in the draft..he to has overcome a lot of adversity..but in my opinion the only reason why brees would get it over mcgahee is because brees played last season and willis didn't soo the voters has something to base it on..BUT that is why willis should get it !!! the voters didn't know what to expect from willis this season, but im sure most of them didn't see him cracking 1000 yards and eclipsing over 10 Tds in the process..

Not to mention it took willis 9 starts to crack 1000 yards and 10 Tds on that reconstructed knee..it would be nice to see him get it, he's worked very hard for the distance he's come so far..but its wishful thinking im sure.

Allthough its amazing how mcgahee has overcome his injury and shown to be an awsome RB in the NFl, but in order to be a "comeback" player u have to have had played the season before atleast....id give my vote to either brees or bettis

question though...is this season considered mcgahee's rookie season and can he be in for rookie of the year?

Comeback player of the year is usually someone with a compelling reason to be considered. Brees: He sucked last year and is motivated by pending FA. McGahee: Coming off a serious knee injury and working hard to come back. Fields: comes back from serious illness to contribute to the rebound of the Panthers

I would rank Fields ahead of McGahee. I don't even consider Brees

McGahee for comback player of the year when he "should" be eligible for rookie of the year?

C'mon guys, he never played in the NFL before. There is no way you can comeback from a history of nothing.

Bettis was never really gone, Brees is far and away my choice.

Bettis

179879[/snapback]

Bettis had 811 yards and 7 TD's last year. What is he coming back from....mediocrity?

He's having a better year this year, that's for sure, but I think comback player of the year should be for someone who has done something pretty special.

Although I don't really believe Brees deserves it either, he should get it over Bettis. He took the joke of the league and brought them to the playoffs.

Allthough its amazing how mcgahee has overcome his injury and shown to be an awsome RB in the NFl, but in order to be a "comeback" player u have to have had played the season before atleast....id give my vote to either brees or bettis

question though...is this season considered mcgahee's rookie season and can he be in for rookie of the year?

180012[/snapback]

That is not true...I remember Garrison heart getting the comback player award

a few years ago (in fact he might have done it twice) after coming back from

the previous year from a season ending injury

That is not true...I remember Garrison heart getting the comback player award

a few years ago (in fact he might have done it twice) after coming back from

the previous year from a season ending injury

180206[/snapback]

I am not sure but I believe that he meant Willis needs to have played in the NFL before, to "come back" from something in the NFL.

I am not sure any of the players up for the award, outside of Fields, qualifies for what I would consider the "comeback player of the year". I always think it should be a Garrison Hearst kind of thing. Brees was just mediocre his first few years and the light switch came on for him. He was the 33rd player taken I think and under-acheived his entire career up until now. I don't think you can be "comeback player of the year" if you stink for your career and then suddenly play great, and he has played great. Bus has been awesome this year, and amazed just about everyone but he, too, just played poorly the last few years, slowed by nagging injuries that affect a lot of guys and was beaten out by Staley. I am not sure he specifically fits the criterion either. I also don't think Willis should be considered unless he was good in the NFL first, then got hurt, and then came back this strong.

I think I would give it to Fields, although it will likely, IMO, go to Brees.

It's easily Brees. The Charges drafted Philip Rivers because they had no faith whatsoever in Brees. Mcgahee on the other hand had a whole year to rest not to mention that he played some pretty pour rushing defenses.

Let's not be biased and give Brees his due...he had an awesome year.

KTD is right - Brees hasn't comeback from anything either. He played poorly and is now playing better. The only adversity he overcame was his own mediocrity.

Bettis was on the bench - too old - too slow. Time had passed him by as well as the team. He has now carried his offense to the playoffs and and an incredible 14-1 record.