Odd superbowl coincidence

NoSaint

"2. Good news for Niners? San Francisco fell minutes short of making it to Indianapolis and Super Bowl XLVI. But based on recent trends, San Francisco or another NFC West team will advance to Super Bowl XLVII in New Orleans. As CBS Sportsline reporter Clark Judge recently pointed out, the division that plays the AFC East during the regular season has wound up in the Super Bowl every season since 2006. In 2006, the Bears played their nondivision games against the AFC East and advanced to the Super Bowl; in 2007, the Giants did it; in 2008 the Cardinals did it; in 2009 the Saints did it; last season the Packers did it; and this season the Giants did it again."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2011/story/_/page/10spot-superbowlxlvi/one-play-change-everything--adam-schefter-10-spot?eleven=twelve

"2. Good news for Niners? San Francisco fell minutes short of making it to Indianapolis and Super Bowl XLVI. But based on recent trends, San Francisco or another NFC West team will advance to Super Bowl XLVII in New Orleans. As CBS Sportsline reporter Clark Judge recently pointed out, the division that plays the AFC East during the regular season has wound up in the Super Bowl every season since 2006. In 2006, the Bears played their nondivision games against the AFC East and advanced to the Super Bowl; in 2007, the Giants did it; in 2008 the Cardinals did it; in 2009 the Saints did it; last season the Packers did it; and this season the Giants did it again."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2011/story/_/page/10spot-superbowlxlvi/one-play-change-everything--adam-schefter-10-spot?eleven=twelve

Many could argue that they beat us a lot but I see it as it seperates the men from the boys. The teams that have been able to beat AFCE teams since 2006 have shown they can be the Jets and Patriots who have rode high for years, even the Dolphins had a strong season in there and we had been an overachieving underdog bunch.

interesting

What it probably means is there are 2 easy wins in Buffalo and Miami. I see it as a negative for the AFC East. For instance, if the Bills take care of Business in New Jersey, the Giants don't even make the playoffs.

Many could argue that they beat us a lot but I see it as it seperates the men from the boys. The teams that have been able to beat AFCE teams since 2006 have shown they can be the Jets and Patriots who have rode high for years, even the Dolphins had a strong season in there and we had been an overachieving underdog bunch.

Come on, the Jets have "rode high" for exactly 2 years, with 2011 not being one of them.

What it probably means is there are 2 easy wins in Buffalo and Miami. I see it as a negative for the AFC East. For instance, if the Bills take care of Business in New Jersey, the Giants don't even make the playoffs.

by the numbers:

record against division

2011 nfc east v afc east 8-8

2010 nfc north v afc east 7-9

2009 nfc south v afc east 7-9

2008 nfc west v afc east 5-11

2007 nfc east v afc east 11-5

2006 nfc north v afc east 4-12

looks like we play them at about .500.

it would be interesting to see how other divisions in our conference are doing, in terms of records, against the nfc.

really though, my statistical analysis of the data would be this: it's a fun, but completely meaningless coincidence.

by the numbers:

record against division

it would be interesting to see how other divisions in our conference are doing, in terms of records, against the nfc.

really though, my statistical analysis of the data would be this: it's a fun, but completely meaningless coincidence.

Thanks for the breakdown. I wondering the same thing, but just decided I was too lazy to check it out over my coffee when I saw your post.

Based on the records you posted, the combined record against the AFC East is 42-54 (.438). Playing the AFC East appears to be a disadvantage... or the NFC division was weaker than the AFC East, making it easier for the Champ to win the division. Anyone know how many of those times the NFC Champs had a bye? Again, I'm too tired/lazy/uncoffeed to dive in now.

Thanks for the breakdown. I wondering the same thing, but just decided I was too lazy to check it out over my coffee when I saw your post.

Based on the records you posted, the combined record against the AFC East is 42-54 (.438). Playing the AFC East appears to be a disadvantage... or the NFC division was weaker than the AFC East, making it easier for the Champ to win the division. Anyone know how many of those times the NFC Champs had a bye? Again, I'm too tired/lazy/uncoffeed to dive in now.

Without checking, atleast 2 were wildcard teams that barely slipped in

by the numbers:

record against division

This, of course is skewed by the Patriots being and automatic loss on the one hand and Bills being a nice week to rest up on the other. My guess is the Bills got blown out by every eventual champion. Almost a bye week for good teams.

This, of course is skewed by the Patriots being and automatic loss on the one hand and Bills being a nice week to rest up on the other. My guess is the Bills got blown out by every eventual champion. Almost a bye week for good teams.

I don't recall a couple games but both the cards and packers were pretty big in trents career.

Giants and saints both won - just don't remember the bears or first giants offhand