liberal litmus test

Retarded argument. Both sides of the aisle are pro-choice...they all want to make sure they're making the choice for other people. Ask any gay couple who wants to get married, or anyone who makes "too much" money.

Not exactly. I happen to be a conservative with some libertarian leanings. I happen to be personally against abortion but claim it is a woman's choice. I happen to be against gun control, but don't think operative AK-47's should be allowed to the general public. I think the gay marriage thing is a canard. Let 'em have a civil union. Marriage is more of a religious thing. It's not like they can't both work and get their own health insurance. Most likely one of them isn't staying home with their offspring. Federal government should consern themselves with a much more limited function than what they are attempting. (and doing)

Federal Government:

National defense

Interstate commerce

Limited laws regulating such things as fair housing.

They need to get tfo energy and education and follow the f'n constitution.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not exactly. I happen to be a conservative with some libertarian leanings. I happen to be personally against abortion but claim it is a woman's choice. I happen to be against gun control, but don't think operative AK-47's should be allowed to the general public. I think the gay marriage thing is a canard. Let 'em have a civil union. Marriage is more of a religious thing. It's not like they can't both work and get their own health insurance. Most likely one of them isn't staying home with their offspring. Federal government should consern themselves with a much more limited function than what they are attempting. (and doing)

Federal Government:

National defense

Interstate commerce

Limited laws regulating such things as fair housing.

They need to get tfo energy and education and follow the f'n constitution.

According to them that one covers just about everything.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/02/news/economy/obama_tax_rich_jesus/index.htm?hpt=hp_c1

Looks like liberals now use the Bible to tackle tax reform. Time to rethink that litmus test, among other things.

You have to admit he has a point on the bible thumpers. It's all relative to interpretation though.

Letting the tax cuts expire if fine but not at this point in time. However, I'd like to also see a drop in the corporate tax rate along with the raise in taxes on personal income for the rich.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/02/news/economy/obama_tax_rich_jesus/index.htm?hpt=hp_c1

Looks like liberals now use the Bible to tackle tax reform. Time to rethink that litmus test, among other things.

Last I checked, Jesus' entire philosophy was based on humility and generosity, and he never advocated taking anything that belonged to someone else.

Give unto Caesar that which is Caesar's... Is he telling us to pay our taxes?

That is the common misinterpretation.....................One which shows that Jesus is still trapping Pharisees today.

It is not pro-taxation.......................in fact, just the opposite.

The Pharisees laid a trap for Jesus similar to the question: "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?" They were certain that they could trap Jesus into affirming that either: it was lawful to pay tribute to "Caesar", which they knew to be against God's Law, and thereby condemning Him under God's Law to pay tribute to a heathen government [Caesar], thereby condemning Him under "Caesar's" "law"

Jesus would not tax anyone.

Jesus would ask the rich to give freely, of their own heart, for the purpose of glorifying God.

Edited by B-Man

Give unto Caesar that which is Caesar's... Is he telling us to pay our taxes?

No...the complete phrase is "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and render unto God what is God's." Basically, advocating the separation of church and state.

No...the complete phrase is "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and render unto God what is God's." Basically, advocating the separation of church and state.

and thus charity (especially to ones church) should not be considered an alternative to paying taxes.

Absolutely. Much in the same way that "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" means government-run health care.

Hey now, the gubment knows better than you do how you should seek happiness while living life with liberty.

This is the way I've always looked at this statement. I think the idea he was really trying to get across was more along the lines of it doesn't matter who the government is. Just live your life according to Gods law. Keep your political views separate.

That is the common misinterpretation.....................One which shows that Jesus is still trapping Pharisees today.

It is not pro-taxation.......................in fact, just the opposite.

Jesus would not tax anyone.

Jesus would ask the rich to give freely, of their own heart, for the purpose of glorifying God.

Not you, nor anyone else in the world has a mandate from God to tell us how God feels about taxes.

Nor should collected taxes be used for charity.

i don't see where this or any other biblical qoutation implies restrictions on a governments use of taxes. taxes were being used for the continued repression of jews and many other peoples and the answer given supported their continued payment. is it likely that he meant to specifically not pay taxes if they were to be used for charity?

This is the way I've always looked at this statement. I think the idea he was really trying to get across was more along the lines of it doesn't matter who the government is. Just live your life according to Gods law. Keep your political views separate.

Not you, nor anyone else in the world has a mandate from God to tell us how God feels about taxes.

Your God or my God?

My God is a God of vengeance. My God is an indian that turns into a wolf when he's mad, and he's paid less taxes than Willie Nelson. I'd appreciate it if you and Obama keep your God out of my wallet.