Rule question on new overtime

ieatcrayonz

Ok this is an almost impossible scenario but what if.......

Team A wins the OT coin toss, drives down the field and has to settle for a field goal.

Team B has a good run back on the ensuing kickoff and starts their drive at mid field.

Three holding calls, two incomplete passes and a sack later it is 4th and 50 from the 10 yard line. Team B figures they have a better shot at recovering a muffed punt than hitting a 50 yard play so they punt, and not only is it muffed but they pick it up and run in it for 6 points.

Team A is obviously very stupid for even attempting to field the punt but they did.

Which team wins?

Team A wins the OT coin toss, drives down the field and has to settle for a field goal.

Team B has a good run back on the ensuing kickoff and starts their drive at mid field.

Three holding calls, two incomplete passes and a sack later it is 4th and 50 from the 10 yard line. Team B figures they have a better shot at recovering a muffed punt than hitting a 50 yard play so they punt, and not only is it muffed but they pick it up and run in it for 6 points.

Team A is obviously very stupid for even attempting to field the punt but they did.

Which team wins?

Well, since you can't advance a muffed punt, I would assume that Team A would win.

Even if you could advance a muff (which you can't) Team B punting would constitue in ending their posession and, as a result, the game would be over, again, with Team A winning.

-Bill

I know this is a trick, but you forgot that a muffed kick can't be advanced, so the TD wouldn't count (not to mention Team B would not punt under any circumstances.) This rule came up in the Giants game last night.

Under this scenario, Team A wins.

Also, the real question is why they didn't lose in the Super Bowl (to a team from the other conference) so it would improve their playoff seeding.

Brushes hands, walks away.

Edited by Captain Caveman

Which team wins?

Almost impossible? That very thing happened to the Bills once. I'm sure of it. They have lost games every concievable way including an official sacking our quarterback in the end zone.

Well, since you can't advance a muffed punt, I would assume that Team A would win.

Even if you could advance a muff (which you can't) Team B punting would constitue in ending their posession and, as a result, the game would be over, again, with Team A winning.

-Bill

Ok I honestly didn't know the rule about advancing a muffed punt, and I know they can't recover a fumbled punt return because of possession change but......what if the punt is muffed and bounces all the way to the end zone on its own before being recovered?

Team B wins, because Team A never got a second possession (so Team B's possession never ended - - the muffed punt is merely an unsuccessful "opportunity to possess" for Team A). The Team B punter is MVP for the 90 yard punt, and goes to Disneyland.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81d817d7/article/postseason-overtime-rules

NFL owners voted at the Annual Meeting in March to amend overtime rules for the postseason to a MODIFIED SUDDEN DEATH format. Teams will now have the opportunity to possess the ball at least once in the extra period unless the team that receives the overtime kickoff scores a touchdown on its first possession.

Here's a look at the NFL's overtime procedures for the postseason:

POSTSEASON - MODIFIED SUDDEN DEATH

The modified sudden death system of determining the winner shall prevail when the score is tied at the end of regulation playing time of postseason NFL games. The system guarantees each team a possession or the opportunity to possess, unless the team that receives the opening kickoff scores a touchdown on its initial possession.

» At the end of regulation time, the Referee will immediately toss a coin at the center of the field in accordance with rules pertaining to the usual pregame toss. The captain of the visiting team will call the toss prior to the coin being flipped.

» Following a three-minute intermission after the end of the regulation game, play will be continued in 15-minute periods until a winner is declared. Each team must possess or have the opportunity to possess the ball unless the team that has the ball first scores a touchdown on its initial possession. Play continues in sudden death until a winner is determined, and the game automatically ends upon any score (by safety, field goal, or touchdown) or when a score is awarded by the Referee for a palpably unfair act. Each team has three time-outs per half and all general timing provisions apply as during a regular game. The try is not attempted if a touchdown is scored. Disqualified players are not allowed to return.

» Instant Replay: No challenges. Reviews to be initiated by the replay assistant.

Key Definitions:

» Possession: Actual possession of the ball with complete control. The defense gains possession when it catches, intercepts, or recovers a loose ball.

» Opportunity to possess: The opportunity to possess occurs only during kicking plays. A kickoff is an opportunity to possess for the receiving team. If the kicking team legally recovers the kick, the receiving team is considered to have had its opportunity. A punt or a field goal that crosses the line of scrimmage and is muffed by the receiving team is considered to be an opportunity to possess for the receivers. Normal touching rules by the kicking team apply.

what if Team A doesn't score and punts on their first possession, and Team B muffs the punt. Team A kicks a field goal. Do they win?

Yes. Team B had an "opportunity to possess."

Same result if Team A opens the OT by trying an onsides kick, recovers it, and then kicks a field goal.

The only time a field goal doesn't immediately beat you in OT is if you never had a possession OR an opportunity to possess.

Yes. Team B had an "opportunity to possess."

Same result if Team A opens the OT by trying an onsides kick, recovers it, and then kicks a field goal.

The only time a field goal doesn't immediately beat you in OT is if you never had a possession OR an opportunity to possess.

So if on third down of the initial OT possession a DB drops an obvious pick six and Team A then kicks a field goal on 4th, the game is over?

Ok I honestly didn't know the rule about advancing a muffed punt, and I know they can't recover a fumbled punt return because of possession change but......what if the punt is muffed and bounces all the way to the end zone on its own before being recovered?

I would still think Team A would win the game... Once Team B punts the ball away, their posession is over. Since they didn't score during their posession, the game would end before the muff, or the recovery.

-Bill

I would still think Team A would win the game... Once Team B punts the ball away, their posession is over. Since they didn't score during their posession, the game would end before the muff, or the recovery.

-Bill

It would essentially be illegal for a coach to actually punt. Once the ball crossed the line of scrimmage the game would end.

So if on third down of the initial OT possession a DB drops an obvious pick six and Team A then kicks a field goal on 4th, the game is over?

No, a dropped interception is not an "opportunity to posess." The opportunity to possess occurs only during kicking plays, as stated above.

Now, if the DB intercepts the pass, then fumbles it back to the offensive team, THAT would be a posession by the intercepting team.

-Bill

No, a dropped interception is not an "opportunity to posess." The opportunity to possess occurs only during kicking plays, as stated above.

Now, if the DB intercepts the pass, then fumbles it back to the offensive team, THAT would be a posession by the intercepting team.

-Bill

I am getting confused by two things.

On the original question I am wondering who technically is in possession of the punt in the air once it crosses the line of scrimmage. If it is Team A or the receiving team, game over, if it is team B, kicking team then a muff occurs, team B wins. If no team is technically in possession then ???????

As for your point about the pick how can it not be an opportunity? You see DBs say in pressers after the game "I really missed an opportunity there" when they dropped a pick. They play the game for a living so I doubt they are wrong.

On the original question I am wondering who technically is in possession of the punt in the air once it crosses the line of scrimmage. If it is Team A or the receiving team, game over, if it is team B, kicking team then a muff occurs, team B wins. If no team is technically in possession then ???????

As for your point about the pick how can it not be an opportunity? You see DBs say in pressers after the game "I really missed an opportunity there" when they dropped a pick. They play the game for a living so I doubt they are wrong.

Possession changes when the ball crosses the LOS. Therefore as soon as the ball is kicked and crosses the LOS, the game is over. What happens afterwards is irrelevant.

Possession changes when the ball crosses the LOS. Therefore as soon as the ball is kicked and crosses the LOS, the game is over. What happens afterwards is irrelevant.

Was just going to post this. Game ends once kick goes beyond line of scrimmage and coach is fired before he gets to locker room for not knowing the rules.

Was just going to post this. Game ends once kick goes beyond line of scrimmage and coach is fired before he gets to locker room for not knowing the rules.

Several years ago, with the walk off run on third, a college baseball coach had his first baseman back up the catcher on an intentional walk, to avoid a wild pitch. As soon as the pitch was thrown, the ball was called dead and the runner scored. Talk about not knowing rules.....LOL

As said above, once the ball crosses the LOS, the posession for one team becomes the "opportunity to posess" for the other. Thus the game would end when the ball crosses the LOS.

A missed INT is not an opportunity to posess, because the rule clearly states that "The opportunity to possess occurs only during kicking plays."

In literal terms, yes the DB may have had the "opportunity to possess." But, not according to the NFL rule, which I'm sure is what they would go by.

-Bill

Does possession change at the exact moment when the punted ball crosses the LOS, or only (assuming nobody on the receiving team catches it to establish possession by the receiving team), when the referee blows his whistle to end the play because (1) the ball rolled dead, (2) the ball went out of bounds, or (3) a player on the kicking team downed it? Maybe when the punted ball crosses the LOS, the receiving team merely has an irrevocable opportunity to possess, which they remain free to screw up by muffing the punt at any time before the whistle blows?