The More I See The More I Like ??

T master

I've read through a couple of early mocks & some have us taking Upshaw , I think some have us taking Reiff (which i like the Stanford LT better) which i think that is Mcshay & in that one i believe he has Miami taking Upshaw with their pick which is a couple before us .

When i saw that i started to think , well i really think our pass rush is priority before O line b/c they did do pretty well this year despite the injury to Wood & others . I do think we may need more depth on the O line but with Jasper possibly being a year into the offense & being called up if we sign Bell we should be pretty good .

So that got me to looking into who else we could get for D . I looked at Mercilus , he has good size but from what i saw he had a bit of trouble getting off his blocks & wasn't around the ball a lot but would take him over the next guy but i still don't know about the first round , so i went & looked at Coples . From what i read they say "he could be as good as he wants to be but has some motivational issues & sometimes doesn't play to his full potential" .

That didn't sound to awful good I want some one that plays every play from whistle to whistle . He has good size & all but that set me back .

Then i went & looked at Upshaw , he too seemed at times that he has trouble getting off his blocks & there wasn't a lot of burst to the ball . But i wouldn't mind him if we did pick him . We could do a lot worse .. So i kept looking & i came across my 2 picks for our D .

First i thought that if Upshaw wasn't there then the next best thing at Bama was Hightower . The only thing from what i saw was that he lines up at an ILB position most of the time . Which with Sheppard & Barnett i thought that might be tough but that guy has Burst & always seems to be around the ball good speed to the ball ! I actually think i like him better than Upshaw he seems faster & @ 6' 4" 260 lbs he's not small . I saw him come off the edge with his hand on the ground too . I really liked what i saw from him !!!

Then i think i hit gold !!! :worthy: I went & checked out Melvin Ingram & this guy is a MONSTER !! He's a D Lineman that is on the hands team & they said he could project to a OLB . But from what i saw the guy gets off his blocks great which allows him to make a lot of tackles , he's ALWAYS around the ball !! He can go with his hand on the ground or standing up , he drops into coverage & seems to read the QB well b/c he's made a few INT's this year ..

I looked at the game against Auburn , the guy is money & i am going on record saying this guy should be our pick in the first rounder at 10 . He's just all over . he's 6' 2" 276 & moves great & can come from any where . It would be great if we could get him in the first & Hightower in the second :w00t::worthy: .

If you haven't yet go check this guy out he's gonna be a great addition to who ever get's him & i hope it's the Bills !!!

Edited by T master

I was wondering when the first Melvin Ingram topic would show up.

I too love Ingram. Right now I have him as my favorite pass rusher in this draft ahead of Branch and Perry.

From my own observations watching 3 game video compilations of him (not highlights) which includes probably around 150 plays, Ingram is very powerful and sudden, has great field vision and instincts, a good motor, an elite closing burst and to top if all off is a great ball athlete.

Against Georgia he took a short snap on a fake punt and ran it 68 yards for a touchdown. He also picked up a fumble with one hand while in full stride and returned that for a touchdown. In that same game against Georgia he was on the "all-hands" team and cleanly fielded an onsides kick attempt at the end of the game to ice the victory. Against Auburn he showed great instincts on a fake field goal and sprinted into the defensive backfield to make an incredible interception.

Ingram is very powerful and has explosiveness as well as an array of pass rush moves.

He lined up at RDE, LDE, RDT, ILB and OLB and was the best player on a very talented South Carolina defense.

While he played mostly with his hand in the dirt, he was just as effective if not more playing from a 2-point stance.

If Ingram lacks anything, it's that he's only 6'2" tall and doesn't appear to have really long arms.. However he weighs in the 270s and is stout in run support and uses his hands well.

He's an intelligent player who plays under control, doesn't take stupid penalties, and doesn't showboat himself.

I think he's gonna skyrocket up draft charts in the next few months.

http://draftbreakdow...ngram-vs-auburn

http://draftbreakdow...vs-georgia-2011

http://draftbreakdow...t-carolina-2011

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Watched a few games of Ingram and he was really good just not great but double teams have a way of making you look average so maybe he can flourish when teams have other big players (Dareus) to focus on.

But my Defensive Pick is Kirkpatrick, kid is a freak show, big play maker and impressive and aggressive in the run game.

I like Ingram. I like that website too. Here's the guy I hope they pick in the 2nd round, Ronnell Lewis:

http://draftbreakdow...s-vs-texas-2011

Thanks for posting the link.

First time I've heard of or seen him.

Definitely looks more suited to linebacker than DE.

Looks to be very fast, quick and hard-working. Definitely a quick-twitch athlete and it looks like he always stays busy on the football field and is pretty relentless.

This Ingram kid is a BALLER. -Great kid. Tremendous, and I do mean tremendous athlete.

However, in the NFL, I cant see him as a 4-3DE bringing pressure off the edge on every down. 3-4OLB is a possibility, but again, -every down? I could be wrong about this, but it seems to me, that Ingram's talents may lie in situational schemes. I don't know that our defensive coaching staff has the structure in place to bring a talent like this to it's potential.

Thanks for posting the link.

First time I've heard of or seen him.

Definitely looks more suited to linebacker than DE.

Looks to be very fast, quick and hard-working. Definitely a quick-twitch athlete and it looks like he always stays busy on the football field and is pretty relentless.

Yes, so it's not my imagination. He has great energy! He reminds me of Von Miller in that way (not saying he has that kind of talent). He is also a great HITTER and tackler. He knows how to tackle hard, has a real knack. I think he will make some big plays in the NFL. If someone compares him to Maybin I will scream. Lewis has great football instincts. Look at his special teams footage, he has great anticipation.

I'm convinced that if they could get one of the top DE/OLB (Upshaw would work) guys in the first, and Lewis in the 2nd, that the defense could be transformed.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

SAY HIGHTOWER VERY SLOWLY .. hes the guy imo.! but its a more likely scenario that its hightower in the first and ingram 2nd

from what i am hearing, ingram is a true man of a football player and there is no way he makes it to round two. i am just kinda hoping he's there for the taking (or at least the option of taking) at 10. the only knock on this guy seems to be that he isn't 6'5" and isn't a track star. everything else is screaming to me that this is the guy you take if you want a solid, versatile guy with football intelligence and an impressive skillset.

from what i am hearing, ingram is a true man of a football player and there is no way he makes it to round two. i am just kinda hoping he's there for the taking (or at least the option of taking) at 10. the only knock on this guy seems to be that he isn't 6'5" and isn't a track star. everything else is screaming to me that this is the guy you take if you want a solid, versatile guy with football intelligence and an impressive skillset.

I'm also a Ingram fan, to me Coples is the Karl Malone of the draft and Ingram is Charles Barkley . It will be interesting to see the combine results, is Coples an athlete in the Mario Williams, Julius Peppers class and how does Ingram compare to a Dwight Freeny or Elvis Dumervil.

I'm also a Ingram fan, to me Coples is the Karl Malone of the draft and Ingram is Charles Barkley . It will be interesting to see the combine results, is Coples an athlete in the Mario Williams, Julius Peppers class and how does Ingram compare to a Dwight Freeny or Elvis Dumervil.

coples biggest problem is going to be himself. he has, by all accounts, all of the tools covetted in a de. he's big, nasty, strong, athletic. but he has work ethic/character concerns. if this guy was 100% motivated and comitted, then this would be the no-brainer number 1 pass rusher in the draft. seems to me that carl malone was unbelievably gifted and worked as hard as anyone in the game, if coples has that light go on...sweet merciful crap!

coples biggest problem is going to be himself. he has, by all accounts, all of the tools covetted in a de. he's big, nasty, strong, athletic. but he has work ethic/character concerns. if this guy was 100% motivated and comitted, then this would be the no-brainer number 1 pass rusher in the draft. seems to me that carl malone was unbelievably gifted and worked as hard as anyone in the game, if coples has that light go on...sweet merciful crap!

I haven't seen enough of Coples to comment on his work ethic (I've read that he played this last season trying to avoid injury) but from the highlight video I'd say one concern is that he doesn't really have pass rush moves, in college he's physically gifted enough just to push Olinemen around until he's in position to toss them away and make a play or he simply out quicks them- I doubt this will be successful in the NFL, my take is that while Coples may have a higher ceiling than Ingram is that Ingram will contribute sooner.

Edited by ....lybob

I haven't seen enough of Coples to comment on his work ethic (I've read that he played this last season trying to avoid injury) but from the highlight video I'd say one concern is that he doesn't really have pass rush moves, in college he's physically gifted enough just to push Olinemen around until he's in position to toss them away and make a play or he simply out quicks them- I doubt this will be successful in the NFL, my take is that while Coples may have a higher ceiling than Ingram is that Ingram will contribute sooner.

i haven't really seen much of any of these guys, it's just that time of year for me when i start to read up as much as posible on all these guys and start my man crushing on about 20 people i think would look good in the red, white and blue. and right now what i am reading about coples is that he could be great, but...

Spot on. I'd be happy if he were our choice at 10. I watched those vids of Ingram as well sjbf and I was equally impressed. We can't go wrong with Ingram, upshaw, Hightower or even as BB said, Kirkpatrick. While I don't think we need cb nearly as much as lb/pass rusher, I think Kirkpatrick will be a star in this league and a true number 1 cb. Adding one of those can not help our team.

I like Ingram. I like that website too. Here's the guy I hope they pick in the 2nd round, Ronnell Lewis:

http://draftbreakdown.com/ronnell-lewis-vs-texas-2011

He's my pick in RD#2 here: http://www.drafttek.com/CMDRound2_33-48.asp

"In the last CMD, Lewis was picked in RD1 by the Green Bay Packers, so he's a keeper at #42. I always look at a player's year-to-year progress , and this declared junior shows just that, improving on each previous year's numbers in sacks, tackles, tackles for loss, and QB hurries. Lewis is an extremely violent hitter, but a textbook tackler.

, showing you he would bring it on special teams as well. Lewis's first step and acceleration make him difficult to block, and his power and rip moves help Lewis get past linemen (think Moats' speed and quickness with Cornelius Bennett's size and power). Watch for the Bills to take another pass rusher later, as well. "

i haven't really seen much of any of these guys, it's just that time of year for me when i start to read up as much as posible on all these guys and start my man crushing on about 20 people i think would look good in the red, white and blue. and right now what i am reading about coples is that he could be great, but...

Ya thats the only thing that scares me is the BUT , We've had enough of those around here in the past it's time to get some of those ballers the ones that even if they aren't in the elite status quo they are just really good players like a Darrell Talley type .

I'm just afraid this guy could be another one hit wonder & we need more than that to turn the Bills around Check out Ingram :flirt: that's all i'm saying !!

I love Ingram and I've wanted Buffalo to take him with the 10th overall pick for some time now. One of the things about him I'm unsure of is that at 6'2" 272-6 can he be an every down DE at that size. Given his size and speed I'd love it if he could transition into a 3-4 OLB and not just a DE. If he can well then you can say goodbye to all the Upshaw mock drafts. Same height as upshaw with and extra 10lbs and faster.

He is a 6'2" 272-6lb former track star, 1st team all american DE, and plays in the SEC. Hard not to be sold on this guy.

Edited by syrcuse315

SAY HIGHTOWER VERY SLOWLY .. hes the guy imo.! but its a more likely scenario that its hightower in the first and ingram 2nd

I have zero problem with Upshaw or Hightower… both of them will be really good NFLers.

But I don't think there's any way at all that Ingram slips to the 2nd round.

No way the Bills can get both, IMO.

Ingram looks very fast. He played RB in high school and if you see the plays he makes in space, I believe that he can transition to OLB seamlessly.

Very good stylistic comparisons. Also, Ingram and Upshaw are pretty similar athletes IMO.

I agree with your post except I don't think Coples has that nastiness. But yeah, if someone could light a fire under him he'd be awesome. He hustles but doesn't seem to have that extra "edge."

Good point. Coples, besides lacking that edginess/violent nature also is not real polished yet.

FWIW, I don't like reading scouting reports. I find that it's better to watch the video and form your opinions. For one things, many of the "scouting reports" are regurgitated, repeated, recycled, and re-stated opinions spawned from the same basic information. They tend to repeat the same flawed analysis.

If you don't already, you should just watch the videos… plus it helps address the football fix:

http://draftbreakdown.com/