Defensive Moves

BillsFanWA

I saw some articles today regarding Da'Norris Searcy being considered a starter going into training camp next season. What do you all think about that? He showed signs of solid play this past year, but I am just not sure where he would start. With Byrd and Wilson at Safety's, I can't see him beating one of those guys out.

Also I read the Bills could also pursue Mario Williams. I don't know if that has been discussed on here or not, but I had not heard that before. I would be interested in bringing him in. If we stayed 3-4 he could help at outside LB, and I would be all for moving him back to DE if we go back to a 4-3..

I saw some articles today regarding Da'Norris Searcy being considered a starter going into training camp next season. What do you all think about that? He showed signs of solid play this past year, but I am just not sure where he would start. With Byrd and Wilson at Safety's, I can't see him beating one of those guys out.

Also I read the Bills could also pursue Mario Williams. I don't know if that has been discussed on here or not, but I had not heard that before. I would be interested in bringing him in. If we stayed 3-4 he could help at outside LB, and I would be all for moving him back to DE if we go back to a 4-3..

I don't know exactly what Searcy starting would man but I wonder about some of the Giant defensive schemes - I know one involves 3 safeties 1 really big LB (Merriman?)

Carrington,K Williams, Dareus, Mario Williams

would be pretty sweet

Edited by ....lybob

Mario Williams is my one hope and prayer this offseason!! His presence on the defensive line (when healthy) would have a huge trickle down effect similar to Cornelius Bennett's impact when he arrived in 1987. One player CAN contribute to increased production, across the board, on any defense, and Williams is 26 years old and entering his prime. Imagine him in a Bills uniform for the next 6 to 7 years, WOW. That would make my whole offseason. Get it done Buddy.... please!!!

Unfortunately the Bills have almost no chance of signing Mario Williams. Houston is in a situation where they have to sign him to a contract OR let him walk. The reason they wont put a tag on him is because if they did they would have to shell out over 20 million and they cant really afford that. They could tag him in hopes of trading him, but other teams will make weak offers knowing the situation and if they tag him in order to resign, his agent will call all the shots because he knows they wont be able to afford the franchise tag. So either they sign him or release him...

If they sign him he will most likely demand an insane price, and rightfully so (imo) because he is a beast. We are talking about what? 14 mil? 16 mil? Thats insane. There is no way that the Bills do that (i dont think). Once the Bills sign SJ and a couple other of their players they wont have as much cash as people think. If Mario Williams walks it is more likely he will go to a team who feels they are a step away from being a superbowl favorite.

Edited by Danny

Unfortunately the Bills have almost no chance of signing Mario Williams. Houston is in a situation where they have to sign him to a contract OR let him walk. The reason they wont put a tag on him is because if they did they would have to shell out over 20 million and they cant really afford that. They could tag him in hopes of trading him, but other teams will make weak offers knowing the situation and if they tag him in order to resign, his agent will call all the shots because he knows they wont be able to afford the franchise tag. So either they sign him or release him...

If they sign him he will most likely demand an insane price, and rightfully so (imo) because he is a beast. We are talking about what? 14 mil? 16 mil? Thats insane. There is no way that the Bills do that (i dont think). Once the Bills sign SJ and a couple other of their players they wont have as much cash as people think. If Mario Williams walks it is more likely he will go to a team who feels they are a step away from being a superbowl favorite.

If Bruce smith played in his prime today, how much would he make?

Think about that

You're right. The point i was making is that if you are a team on the verge of a championship you would be willing to pay that salary for someone who would get you over the hump. But if you are a team on the verge of becoming a playoff contender would you be willing to pay that much for someone... just to get you to the playoffs? Something to consider.

You're right. The point i was making is that if you are a team on the verge of a championship you would be willing to pay that salary for someone who would get you over the hump. But if you are a team on the verge of becoming a playoff contender would you be willing to pay that much for someone... just to get you to the playoffs? Something to consider.

Kind of depends on how long that playoff drought is :P

Edited by mob16151

Mario Williams more than any other player reminds me of Julius Peppers.

Both guys are quite tall, large, and freakishly athletic for their size.

On March 5th it will be 2 years since Julius Peppers signed with the Bears as a free agent.

Because this is the first free agency period since the new CBA, I'm not sure what effect it will have but for comparisons sake:

"On March 5, 2010, the Chicago Bears signed Peppers to a six-year contract worth $91.5 million, with $42 million guaranteed in the first three years."

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Kind of depends on how long that playoff drought is :P

Hahaha. Yeah, after all these years i dont think i would blame anyone for throwing up their arms and saying "to hell with the Super Bowl.. just give one damn playoff game already!"

I Agree . With Buddies build through the draft position in place having Mercilus , Coples ,& others in the draft i would think that the Bills will spend their money on young players rather than busting a bunch of money on some one like Williams .

Please explain to me why Mario Williams would choose to sign with the Bills? He's likely to re-sign with Houston (even for less money), and there are plenty of good teams with money to spend this year: Atlanta and Cincy come to mind, and the Patriots have more space than we do, although they need to lock up Wes Welker and a few other guys. Williams isn't coming here.

Please explain to me why Mario Williams would choose to sign with the Bills? He's likely to re-sign with Houston (even for less money), and there are plenty of good teams with money to spend this year: Atlanta and Cincy come to mind, and the Patriots have more space than we do, although they need to lock up Wes Welker and a few other guys. Williams isn't coming here.

Stop ruining our dreams with you logic! I really hope we get Williams, but someone like Freeny or Mathis is much more likely as a 1-3 year player while Carrington, etc. continue to develop. The line could be FA, Williams, Dearus, (rookie at #10). LB's: Sheppard, Barnett, (rookie? or Merriman if he can stay healthy.)

Byrd and Wilson at Safety. Williams at CB. Dont' knwo who the other CB will be.

Edited by RyanC883

I completely agree. For the Bills, someone like Mathis may be possible (and would be huge) but hoping for Williams is just a waste of time, imo.

I completely agree. For the Bills, someone like Mathis may be possible (and would be huge) but hoping for Williams is just a waste of time, imo.

But is Mathis the kind of player we want? He's seems a better fit for the Tampa-2, not a Dave Wannestadt defense.

But is Mathis the kind of player we want? He's seems a better fit for the Tampa-2, not a Dave Wannestadt defense.

There's been a lot of Mathis buzz on this board lately.

I guess it would be a good idea if you thought that acquiring a guy who turns 31-years-old in one month, and who had the privilege of playing opposite Dwight Freeney for the last 9 years, and who is 6'2" and 245 pounds dripping wet would be a good idea.

IMO, signing Mathis would be a "final piece" acquisition and although I think the Bills are closer than a lot of people think they are, I don't think they are a "final piece" away just yet.

I guess it would be a good idea if you thought that acquiring a guy who turns 31-years-old in one month, and who had the privilege of playing opposite Dwight Freeney for the last 9 years, and who is 6'2" and 245 pounds dripping wet would be a good idea.

IMO, signing Mathis would be a "final piece" acquisition and although I think the Bills are closer than a lot of people think they are, I don't think they are a "final piece" away just yet.

I see what youre getting at (here it comes haha)... Buuuuuttt...

The majority of defensive ends who are playing in the Pro Bowl this year are in their 30's. There is nothing to suggest that Mathis will slow down on his 31st birthday. While he has greatly benifited from playing with D. Freeney it certainly goes both ways. In fact Mathis has produced more sacks than Freeney in 6 of the last 7 years; recorded more tackles in the last eight; and caused equal or more fumbles than Freeney in almost every season. (Seven out of nine).

Is he small? Definitely. But we also have a NT who is 6-1 and 300lbs that made the prowbowl last year and is a monster on the line.

Dont think that i disagree that Mathis isnt the perfect fit and will at times struggle against the run. You are spot on. But the Bills need help in pass rushing and they need it now. Mathis is a beast and will terrorize qbs in the new pass happy NFL. We cant always wait around for the perfect fit and if the Bills go to a 43 it could very well be a Kelsay - Willams - Dareus - Mathis line. Heads up Brady.

I see what youre getting at (here it comes haha)... Buuuuuttt...

The majority of defensive ends who are playing in the Pro Bowl this year are in their 30's. There is nothing to suggest that Mathis will slow down on his 31st birthday. While he has greatly benifited from playing with D. Freeney it certainly goes both ways. In fact Mathis has produced more sacks than Freeney in 6 of the last 7 years; recorded more tackles in the last eight; and caused equal or more fumbles than Freeney in almost every season. (Seven out of nine).

Is he small? Definitely. But we also have a NT who is 6-1 and 300lbs that made the prowbowl last year and is a monster on the line.

Dont think that i disagree that Mathis isnt the perfect fit and will at times struggle against the run. You are spot on. But the Bills need help in pass rushing and they need it now. Mathis is a beast and will terrorize qbs in the new pass happy NFL. We cant always wait around for the perfect fit and if the Bills go to a 43 it could very well be a Kelsay - Willams - Dareus - Mathis line. Heads up Brady.

I still believe that much of Mathis' success is because opponents are much more intent on rolling protection to Freeney's side and that Mathis is seldom double teamed whereas Freeney is often doubled.

I certainly could be wrong but that is my impression.

Considering that this defense has only one true 4-3 DE on this roster who is capable of producing pass rush (Kelsay, and that's sad), we would be blessed to be able to get a player like Mathis.

I really don't see the point in referencing Mathis' size. I think Mathis has been in the league long enough and has proven himself. The guy gets 9.5 - 11.5 sacks every single season.

What's the alternative? Even if we draft a DE with the 1st pick, we need more DE's. Look at the giants, everyone on that DL is practically a DE.