mel kiper draft grade?

moorman8

Bills

Post-draft grade: B

Summary: Leading up to the draft, there were many questions about whether the Bills would take a quarterback. After all, Ryan Fitzpatrick had no real security, and, if Cam Newton had fallen to Buffalo at No. 3, I suspected Buddy Nix would pull the trigger. Newton didn't fall; the Bills went for defense; and I wrote then that Fitzpatrick should "feel good about this draft" because he was "clearly the preferred starter." Fitzpatrick got off to a good start, and the Bills doubled down in giving him a contract extension. As for the picks, I'd say Buffalo confirmed the grade. Great value, so-so on need. Marcell Dareus gave them 15 starts and looks every bit like a versatile, disruptive defensive lineman who could be productive in almost any system. I'm not yet ready to say he's a Pro Bowl lock, but the ceiling is there, no question. I said third-round pick Kelvin Sheppard should be ready to help early, and he played in every game, giving the Bills nine starts. Second-rounder Aaron Williams has some growing to do, but he should start in 2012. Da'Norris Searcy has a chance to develop after a switch to safety. Chris Hairston also gave Buffalo some starts as an injury replacement. This grade rises if Dareus reaches a Pro Bowl level.

New grade: B+

+++++++++++++++++++

Dolphins

Post-draft grade: B-

Summary: You can't get less sexy on draft day than taking an interior offensive lineman at No. 15 overall, but the Dolphins were clearly targeting their run game. They got Mike Pouncey, then went for running back Daniel Thomas in Round 2. Even without scaring a lot of defenders away from the line of scrimmage with the passing game, the draft paid dividends. Reggie Bush was a key component, but Pouncey helped the run game immensely, and the Dolphins went from 22nd in rushing yards per game in 2010 to 11th in 2011. Fullback Charles Clay, a steal in the sixth round, was also part of that. Clyde Gates (formerly Edmond) still has a ways to go, but, overall, you have to say Miami did OK given the first-year production. It wasn't a great value draft, but the dividends were tangible and -- I'll harp on this again -- it looks better given that this team was far closer to a .500-plus record than many realize.

New grade: B

++++++++++++++++++

Patriots

Post-draft grade: C+

Patriots Summary: After the draft, I called this a mixed bag because, although the Patriots acquired more picks and were able to get some decent value in at least one spot with Ryan Mallett, I also thought they might have been outsmarting themselves by not getting any useful defensive help outside of Ras-I Dowling. At the time, I wondered, "Where is the pass-rush help? Why not try to maximize this window of brilliance from Tom Brady and get better now?" Well, Dowling went into the draft with injury concerns, and those have continued. All in all, I see a draft in which I saw outside linebacker, wide receiver and defensive end as big needs and the Patriots got nothing to speak of in any of those spots. The pass rush hasn't been a disaster this season, but the Patriots really could have used some young talent there. And although Stevan Ridley came on, I'm not sure his presence on the team changed anything for 2011. After all, Danny Woodhead and BenJarvus Green-Ellis (both undrafted) were doing a decent job. In April, I gave the Patriots a C for needs and a B-minus for value because I can see value as they continued to stock picks. Nate Solder is a keeper, and Belichick's work to keep that offensive line in good shape has been outstanding, but I still wonder whether the Patriots could have done more on defense. Again, there's always future help to consider, but this is what we know now.

New grade: C+

++++++++++++

Jets:

Post-draft grade: B

Summary: I called Muhammad Wilkerson one of the best values in Round 1 after the Jets got him at No. 30. If he had stayed another year at Temple, I think we'd be talking about him as a likely top-10 pick for 2012. And although he got 16 starts, he's still developing for a defense that took a step back in 2011. Given the jump in competition from Temple's slate to the AFC East, I'd say Wilkerson held up pretty well, but is he a star in the making? Not sure. After that, Kenrick Ellis and Bilal Powell saw at least some of the field, but we can't draw any conclusions on those two yet. Jeremy Kerley got a lot of reps, caught 29 passes and looks as if he has a future in the slot. Not bad, but it's too early to say there might be a star in here. The Jets got some utility but had few picks and look a little light on ceiling for this draft unless Wilkerson jumps.

New grade: C+

Edited by Never NEVER Give-up

Bills draft this season looks pretty good IF Dareus is as good as he could be, and if Williams and Sheppard become starters as they showed flashes that they could be. Hariston, Searcy, Rodgers, and White also look like they could be contributors on the roster. Nix needs another good draft plus this years draft to take a step up. And Carrington or Troup have to salvage their careers as well.

I like Sheppard I really do, but in the end I think he is going to be too small to play a 4-3 middle LB and not fast enough to be the edge rusher we need. My bet is he could be a very good MLB in a 3-4 with a capable NT in front of him. I could be wrong. I know he played MLB at LSU but even the SEC is a far cry from the interior lineman he will face in the NFL.

The rest of the draft looks good. Dareus looks like a star. Williams, Hairston, and Searcy are all players.

I like Sheppard I really do, but in the end I think he is going to be too small to play a 4-3 middle LB and not fast enough to be the edge rusher we need. My bet is he could be a very good MLB in a 3-4 with a capable NT in front of him. I could be wrong. I know he played MLB at LSU but even the SEC is a far cry from the interior lineman he will face in the NFL.

The rest of the draft looks good. Dareus looks like a star. Williams, Hairston, and Searcy are all players.

Just curious, how big do you want your MLB to be? Sheppard is 6'2", 250 lbs. -- seems plenty big to me. I don't have time to look around the league rosters, but I'd guess that's above the median for a starting 4-3 MLB.

Mel's done his research. Must have staff working for him. No way he got to watch bills enough to make that in depth of an assessment. Hard to argue with it. One thing he made me realize again is just how much luck not coming out last year cost us. Odds are we'd have newton right now.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

This draft was definitely a solid one for us. We needed it after the 2010 one.

As far as Shep goes, by the middle of next year we will really get to see what we have in this kid. Plays like the one where he knifed through the Miami line for a safety are great to see from someone his rookie year. Ironically, his draft profile had him listed as a great coverage guy but not a big hitter, but from what I saw this year it was kind of the opposite.

NFL coaches across the league say that the lockout and shortened offseason training stuff really hurt the rookies from a development standpoint, so next year will be a big step for some of these guys like Williams and Shep.

Looking at some of the playoff teams this year like Giants, Bengals, Broncos, we are not that far away from being able to put away teams like that. I honestly think Nix will go for a DE and pass rushing LB in the first three rounds.

I like this team we have. Players, coaches, qb. Will be an interesting season next year for sure.