Aaron Williams Drafted then Andy Dalton

Hsp08

Why are people labeling all of these picks "luxury picks"? I don't get it, it's not like he's a kicker, or just a return man. Aaron Williams was a steal, a first round CB we got in the second round. DB is the most numerous position in football, and one of the hardest for which to find top quality players. We got a solid starter at a key defensive position, how is that a luxury?

Just about every team takes 1 or 2 DB's in every draft. This was nothing more or less than a solid pick, and Williams could be a starter here for a long time.

Jumbalaya goes on to say that it wasn't in his post.

He is just saying "Oh another DB at pick #34" was the reaction of many fans.

I had that reaction as well even though I knew Williams was a steal. I personally wanted Akeem Ayers or Brooks Reed at #34 and would have made that pick even if Williams dropped if I were drafting for the Bills.

Last I've heard it's a QB driven league. Dalton last I checked took a team to the playoffs, yes with Green's BIG help along with a decent defense which nobody talks about. I am not bashing Aaron, but I do think Dalton is a good pick which obviously differs from other opinions.

Maybe I should have titled it "Would you have picked Dalton over Williams"?

Why do everybody here bash and show so much negativity and so much seriousness? Relax, sorry for posting, geez.

FYI.

Saying the Bills missed out on Dalton is 1.) a Negative post (negativity breads negativity) and 2.) Bashes the Bills FO (Expect to get bashed in return. 3.) Not to mention strangely fixated on clearly an average QB my guess is Hsp08 you are a ginger as well. So you identify with the plight of Andrew Dalton, red head.

Edited by Why So Serious?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaron will be a good pick for us. What I really wanted is that 3rd round pick, when Ryan Mallet was sitting and we missed the boat...A Strong Armed QB in Buffalo!

I was not, and still am not a Mallet fan personally...

If we are going to do the whole hindsight thing..

I was kind of surprised that the Bills went Sheppard instead of Houston in the 3rd round. The Bills had some ILB's, but were very thin at OLB. Houston was also a guy that some expected to be gone in the 2nd round, or even the 1st. My "hindsight" pick, would be Justin Houston over Kelvin Sheppard...

He didn't exactly light the world on fire, and got off to a slow start. However he looked like a beast as the season went on, and finished with 5.5 sacks. Plus he's a guy that can play 3-4 OLB or DE.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Jumbalaya goes on to say that it wasn't in his post.

He is just saying "Oh another DB at pick #34" was the reaction of many fans.

I had that reaction as well even though I knew Williams was a steal. I personally wanted Akeem Ayers or Brooks Reed at #34 and would have made that pick even if Williams dropped if I were drafting for the Bills.

I fully understand that. Saying you wanted the Bills to draft other guys is perfectly understandable, and personal preference...I was more questioning the "luxury" label. I just don't see how taking a top notch DB in the 2nd round is a luxury when we were relying on guys like Florence and McKelvin.

FYI.

Saying the Bills missed out on Dalton is 1.) a Negative post (negativity breads negativity) and 2.) Bashes the Bills FO (Expect to get bashed in return. 3.) Not to mention strangely fixated on clearly an average QB my guess is Hsp08 you are a ginger as well. So you identify with the plight of Andrew Dalton, red head.

All great points, and I laughed out loud at the ginger thing...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Last I've heard it's a QB driven league. Dalton last I checked took a team to the playoffs, yes with Green's BIG help along with a decent defense which nobody talks about. I am not bashing Aaron, but I do think Dalton is a good pick which obviously differs from other opinions.

Why do everybody here bash and show so much negativity and so much seriousness? Relax, sorry for posting, geez.

If I came off as bashing, my bad. Not my intention.

Aaron Williams had a learning curve in his rookie year, but showed a lot of potential. He was a great CB at Texas and was supposed to be drafted in the first round, but slipped just a little bit and was quickly picked up by the Bills. A solid round 2 draft pick that I commend the Bills on getting!

I was not, and still am not a Mallet fan personally...

If we are going to do the whole hindsight thing..

I was kind of surprised that the Bills went Sheppard instead of Houston in the 3rd round. The Bills had some ILB's, but were very thin at OLB. Houston was also a guy that some expected to be gone in the 2nd round, or even the 1st. My "hindsight" pick, would be Justin Houston over Kelvin Sheppard...

He didn't exactly light the world on fire, and got off to a slow start. However he looked like a beast as the season went on, and finished with 5.5 sacks. Plus he's a guy that can play 3-4 OLB or DE.

I agree here.

Shepp is a team leader, Captain type maybe thats why.

But yeah I wouldn't have taken Shepp. I like the kid but wouldn't have been my pick.

There is a whole list there I would have preferred. (and was vocal leading up to the draft on this board)

I actually liked Mason Foster over Shepp if you were going to go ILB.

There is a whole list at #3 I would have have had over Shepp, then some of them fell to the 4th round over Searcy.

Justin Houston

Sam Acho

Ryan Mallett

John Moffitt

Mason Foster

Martez Wilson

Leonard Hankerson

Kelvin Sheppard

K. J. Wright

Sam Acho

The Bills still had a good draft but you can almost build a whole team from the 3rd and 4th round of the 2011 draft. It was a really deep draft.

The first round of 2012 isn't that great outside of Luck, RGIII, Claribrone, Kalil its like a bunch of late first round talent after that .

Edited by Why So Serious?

I agree here.

Shepp is a team leader, Captain type maybe thats why.

But yeah I wouldn't have taken Shepp. I like the kid but wouldn't have been my pick.

There is a while list there I would have preferred.

I actually liked Mason Foster over Shepp if you were going to go ILB.

There is a whole list at #3 I would have have ha over Shepp, then some of them fell to the 4th round over Searcy.

Justin Houston

Sam Acho

Ryan Mallett

John Moffitt

Mason Foster

Martez Wilson

Leonard Hankerson

Kelvin Sheppard

K. J. Wright

Sam Acho

You would have had Kelvin Sheppard over...Kelvin Sheppard?

Hard to evaluate and Bills defender, much less rookie, with the dumpster-fire of a DC they had.

But Edwards was the ILB coach at Miami (The Miami LB performance has improved tremendously since he left), that's why we hired him...right? What a joke. I don't blame Edwards as much as the Bills FO for hiring him, the guy had no business being a DC...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

There is nothing wrong with the point that the OP is making here. Dalton helped make the 4th worst team last year into a playoff team. He made the team forget about their former starting QB enough that the owner was willing to go back on his word and trade him instead of letting him go into retirement. Williams (not complaining about the pick), spent time injured this season, and when given the chance to play, played on a defence that had not improved much from being the worst defence last year.

Looking at the choices position/needs wise for both teams, they were both good choices for the Bengals and Bills. Looking in hindsight at BPA, the Bengals got the better player this year. And to compare stats, your comparing the stats of a rookie QB to a journeyman career backup of 7 years. Dalton still has much more potential. But the Bills weren't interested in getting a QB this offseason unless they were going to be a better starter from game 1 then Fitz, and Dalton wasn't expected to come right in and start. If Dalton was drafted by the Bills, he would have spent the year on the bench (with fans begging the coaching staff to put him in once the Bills lost a game)

On a side note, Could you imagine Dalton playing here growing out a giant ginger beard?

I know this is easy to say in hindsight but,

The Bills drafted Williams 2nd Round, 34th pick. Guess who went next? Dalton to the Bengals as 35th pick.

While Aaron may yet turn into a solid player, who would have guessed Dalton developing into a solid QB this quick?

Kudos to the Bengals for doing their homework, and yet an another one slips by the Bills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NFL_Draft

It is so easy in hindsight. We could play this game with every team in every league.

The truth is Aaron Williams was a great pick at a position of need and fit in with the Bills plan to bolster their defense. The Bills thought Fitz was the guy and that Dalton wasn't appreciably better or they would have taken him. Williams very well could end up being better at his position than Dalton is at his. Come back in a few years and lets discuss it then.

It's not about one season of work. So tired of this everything has to happen right away mentality. A guy is great if he plays one good game. He's terrible if he plays one bad game. A career is a marathon not a sprint. Williams and Dalton could both wind up being not so great or they both could be HOF's. The tale will be told down the line. I like Williams and some of the flashes we saw of his potential. His cover skills, his aggression in the run game, etc. Dalton also looks good so far. Good for him and the Bengals. His success doesn't mean the Bills were wrong to take Williams.

Edited by purple haze

The Bengals defense is what got them into the playoffs along with an average offense. Dalton had very pedestrian stats. Switch the defenses between Bills and Bengals and it would have been the Bills who were in the playoffs and the Bengals would be sitting at 6-10.

I didn't want the Bills to draft a QB last year and even in hindsight I'm glad they didn't. BTW I think Williams has shown he has some great upside and could prove to be an upper echelon CB.

Aaron will be a good pick for us. What I really wanted is that 3rd round pick, when Ryan Mallet was sitting and we missed the boat...A Strong Armed QB in Buffalo!

Well said with the Mallet deal!! I think the ills were watching out for him all day. You know how it goes...............If we would have taken hime to early the ESPN GURUS would have burnned Buffalo down with how we screwed it up. Williams will be a good player for us.

He made the team forget about their former starting QB enough that the owner was willing to go back on his word and trade him instead of letting him go into retirement.

I'm pretty sure the two first rounders the Raiders offered up had more to do with the trade than Andy Dalton.