Bills Salary Cap

symbiant

How's our salary cap situation looking?

I know we were way below last year, but how's it shaping up post Fitz contract?

Can we afford to:

1) Sign our free agents we want back: Stevie, Bell, Chandler, etc.

2) Take care of Fred

And then

3) Sign a big name passrusher

4) Sign a big name WR

How's our salary cap situation looking?

I know we were way below last year, but how's it shaping up post Fitz contract?

Can we afford to:

1) Sign our free agents we want back: Stevie, Bell, Chandler, etc.

2) Take care of Fred

And then

3) Sign a big name passrusher

4) Sign a big name WR

I can't find that info. I know that many contracts with Bills players include incentives that drive the final cap number higher. Here is an interesting chart from USA Today showing spending by team from 2000-2009.

PTR

bills use a cash to cap style of spending so yes they have room to do all of those things if they wish. will they? history says no. instead they will sign some midlevel player then make it look like they broke the bank and got the 1 guy they wanted and then sign a few other mid level guys who slip thru the cracks.

i wouldnt get your hopes up on them signing some huge name free agent(i dont think you need to dan snyder the FA pool) but getting the right guys and spending on them is the key. hopefully they get people who fit in and help this team win games.

bills use a cash to cap style of spending so yes they have room to do all of those things if they wish. will they? history says no. instead they will sign some midlevel player then make it look like they broke the bank and got the 1 guy they wanted and then sign a few other mid level guys who slip thru the cracks.

i wouldnt get your hopes up on them signing some huge name free agent(i dont think you need to dan snyder the FA pool) but getting the right guys and spending on them is the key. hopefully they get people who fit in and help this team win games.

Check out that USA Today link. The Bills have been in the middle of cap spending most of the 2000's. Don't you think they did well with Nick Barnett?

PTR

Check out that USA Today link. The Bills have been in the middle of cap spending most of the 2000's. Don't you think they did well with Nick Barnett?

PTR

Bills were 22nd so middle-ish- like the Bills record the Bills salary cap has been in the top half of the bottom half most of the 2000s

Bills were 22nd so middle-ish- like the Bills record the Bills salary cap has been in the top half of the bottom half most of the 2000s

2009-13th

2008-16th

2007-4th

2006-29th

2005-17th

2004-19th

2003-22nd

2001-29th

2000-16th

Avg. - 18th

PTR

I want to say the 2012 salary cap is 120 mil with 90% of it has to be attained. From the link proposed above, I believe this says the Bills are at 90-95 mil...

Given rookie contracts in 2012 draft, the Buffalo Bills will have roughly 20-30 mil to work with.

Edit: Go Bills!

Edited by KollegeStudnet

I want to say the 2012 salary cap is 120 mil with 90% of it has to be attained. From the link proposed above, I believe this says the Bills are at 90-95 mil...

Given rookie contracts in 2012 draft, the Buffalo Bills will have roughly 20-30 mil to work with.

Edit: Go Bills!

they're going to eat up a lot of that signing their own players but they should have enough for a couple decent players - and I think if needs be they could easily find another 10mil of salary cap savings

PTR

Blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while. Overall their FA signings have been mediocre at best.

they're going to eat up a lot of that signing their own players but they should have enough for a couple decent players - and I think if needs be they could easily find another 10mil of salary cap savings

If the Bills part ways with Fitz within seven days of the 2012 calendar season, the Bills will only be 10mil into Fitz's deal--which would only be the bonus he already received.

Bills could save some dough

Blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while. Overall their FA signings have been mediocre at best.

Free Agency brings a lot of hype. I remember reading all the posts about signing Albert Haynesworth--we didn't and the "Ralph is Cheap" posters came out in force!

I'm not a GM, but if you screw up in FA...it costs your team in many ways, other than the bank! Best way is playing it the smart way.

Edited by KollegeStudnet

PTR

1. does that chart include signing bonuses and up front money? a lot of teams when trying to protect the cap will front load contracts heavily and make most if it signing bonuses and whatever.

2. i like barnett and was really happy he chose to come here. but that signing was well into free agency and i think detroit signing tulloch had a lot to do with his choice for signing here. its not like barnett was some huge FA. that being said these are the type of players the bills should look at getting thru FA. mid level guys who dont break the bank but are able to come in and be key role players and solid in the locker room. not brad freaking smith.