Mock Drafts - Go D Or Go Home !!

T master

The seasons over , Again we are watching the play offs with no dog in the hunt & Bills fans have started making their mock drafts , posting them on Rumblings & TBD along with other Bills related sights . With every one i read though i wonder what team it was that they watched this year ?

And I'm really glad they won't be in the war room making decisions come draft day !! :blink:

The reason why i say that is b/c I've seen some of them taking a LT in the first round , O.K. i get the BPA thing but we had the least sacked QB in the league this year which was in part due to Gailey's quick to throw offense , but we also had one of if not the worst defense in the league in certain categories . So i would think ( like Buddy said in his presser) that , that would make defense a priority again this year with a big possibility of pass rush being at the top of the list .

I know Bell & Hairiston aren't elite LT's & Buddy said that LT will be addressed in this years draft , but some mock drafts i have seen have offensive players with their 1st 3 picks -- HUH ??

After watching the BCS National Championship game the other night where's the love ? I have seen very little love for one of if not the BEST defense ever put on a college football field !! Of all the mocks I've seen very few have any Bama defensive players picked in our draft . With what they did the other night if we could get Upshaw (defensive MVP) , Hightower , (#5 who ever he is) & one of Bama's CB's with the 1st 4 picks that would be a killer draft . I know that won't happen but I'm just saying !!

Bama's coach Nick Saban runs a Pro schemed college team & he has high character players so i would think it's a no brainer but looking at some of the mocks it looks like not much emphasis was put on where our team ranked in the NFL this year in relation to how we draft .

Sure i know that our draft will not consist of all D players buy that is a huge need area going forward . LT , WR , & RB :w00t: will all be addressed in the draft but should be later unless of coarse Blakmon or Luck were going to be there at our pick but that ain't happening !!

So go D or go home in the first & second rounds of your mock draft & our team will be better for it !!! Go Bills !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After watching the BCS National Championship game the other night where's the love ? I have seen very little love for one of if not the BEST defense ever put on a college football field !! Of all the mocks I've seen very few have any Bama defensive players picked in our draft . With what they did the other night if we could get Upshaw (defensive MVP) , Hightower , (#5 who ever he is) & one of Bama's CB's with the 1st 4 picks that would be a killer draft . I know that won't happen but I'm just saying !!

Agreed. Anyone from that DEF would be a great addition!

While I think you could have posted this in the same thread as everybody else, I see your point.

But consider this scenario:

1 1 Indianapolis Andrew Luck QB Stanford

1 2 St Louis Matt Kalil OT USC

1 3 Minnesota Justin Blackmon WRF Oklahoma State

1 4 Cleveland Trent Richardson RBF Alabama

1 5 Tampa Bay Courtney Upshaw ILB Alabama

1 6 Washington Morris Claiborne CB LSU

1 7 Jacksonville Michael Floyd WRF Notre Dame

1 8 Miami Robert Griffin QB Baylor

1 9 Carolina Devon Still DT43

1 10 Buffalo ???

BPA (in this order as per DraftTek, McShay):

Riley Reiff OT, Quintin Coples DE43, Mike Adams OT, Dre Kirkpatrick CB, Zach Brown OLB43 and Whitney Mercilus DE43.

You're not switching to the 4-3.

Accoring to buddy we are playing 4/3 about 50 percent of the time already

guys like upshaw fit both d's and he indictated that is what he did last year.

my guess is he badly wants to grab either a pass rusher or a wr in free agency . then we will have a much better idea about what is going to happen at the draft

that said the Kirpatrick or rieff propbalby will be on the short list either way , they sound like buddy's type of player (big stong corners, nasty o line man

While I think you could have posted this in the same thread as everybody else, I see your point.

1 10 Buffalo ???

Riley Reiff OT, Quintin Coples DE43, Mike Adams OT, Dre Kirkpatrick CB, Zach Brown OLB43 and Whitney Mercilus DE43.

my wish would be for cinncy to all in love with richardson and want to move up

i wouldn't mind taking brown at 17 and then maybe ingram at 21 but agains it matters if he can get anything done in free agency .

1 10 Buffalo ???

Ya but last year they all said that Blaine Gabbert was a top 10 pick to be a NFL QB so you have to take all that stuff with a grain of salt . Plus they all say that there is a Prototypical size for an NFL QB -- Tell that to D . Brees or Flutie I know that's only 2 in a long line of draft picks but we can go back & prove that the talking heads have been wrong as much as they've been right over the years !! That's all's i'm saying ..

If Quinton Couples is there at 10 i don't see us passing on him though from what Buddy said in his presser ..

Edited by T master

While Coples best fit is likely as a 43 DE, can he play 34 DE as well? Just thinking that if they are in a 4 man front 47% of the time as Nix stated Coples could be a DE, and also has the size, length and strength to play DE in their 3 man fronts as well. He also played DT at North Carolina his junior season.

Edited by Carey Bender

OK, I'll bite. Why are we not switching to the 4-3?

It was a scenario. :wallbash:

While Coples best fit is likely as a 43 DE, can he play 34 DE as well? Just thinking that if they are in a 4 man front 47% of the time as Nix stated Coples could be a DE, and also has the size, length and strength to play DE in their 3 man fronts as well. He also played DT at North Carolina his junior season.

We have Coples as scheme-specific, so 4-3 DE, #8 on our Big Board and not on our DE34 Listat all.

Astro

Upshaw Upshaw Upshaw Upshaw Upshaw Upshaw.

This is the consensus on most of the current mocks. For mock draft die-hards, a summary of mocks is here: http://walterfootball.com/draftdata.php but you gotta click through links to see picks 6 and above (was much easier to follow with our top-5 pick last year). I'm a diehard so I've clicked through - Upshaw is the clear favorite, with a fair number of Coples, as well as a disturbingly high number of mocks that have us taking an OT with our first pick.

This is the consensus on most of the current mocks. For mock draft die-hards, a summary of mocks is here: http://walterfootball.com/draftdata.php but you gotta click through links to see picks 6 and above (was much easier to follow with our top-5 pick last year). I'm a diehard so I've clicked through - Upshaw is the clear favorite, with a fair number of Coples, as well as a disturbingly high number of mocks that have us taking an OT with our first pick.

If we take an OT, he better be awesome...

And this begs the question: if you could be guaranteed that the OT at 10, say Reiff, played for 10 years with 5 pro bowls, would you take him? Even over Upshaw?

If we take an OT, he better be awesome...

And this begs the question: if you could be guaranteed that the OT at 10, say Reiff, played for 10 years with 5 pro bowls, would you take him? Even over Upshaw?

In a heartbeat. Reiff is #6 on our Big Board, and filled in for Bulaga without missing a beat. But I think Upshaw is going to end up at #9-#10 on the Big Board, supplanting Claiborne, Coples, Kuechly, and possibly Brandon Thompson. If both were guaranteed 10 years and 5 Pro Bowls, I take Upshaw.

In a heartbeat. Reiff is #6 on our Big Board, and filled in for Bulaga without missing a beat. But I think Upshaw is going to end up at #9-#10 on the Big Board, supplanting Claiborne, Coples, Kuechly, and possibly Brandon Thompson. If both were guaranteed 10 years and 5 Pro Bowls, I take Upshaw.

Courtney Upshaw, Outside Linebacker, Alabama

I know many of you will want a left tackle here and Jonathan Martin is on the board, but Demetrius Bell can be very good if healthy.

Getting a pass-rusher is something Buffalo has struggled to do for years. Shawne Merriman was a bust at outside linebacker and now the team is playing with out-of-position inside 'backers on the edge. The 2012 draft is weak on pass-rushers, but Courtney Upshaw has the exciting blend of athleticism and playmaking skill to warrant a Top 10 pick.

Upshaw will step in and be an immediate starter, with the task of attacking Tom Brady twice each season. He has Terrell Suggs-like talent and athleticism. Bills' fans should love this selection. :thumbsup:

In a heartbeat. Reiff is #6 on our Big Board, and filled in for Bulaga without missing a beat.

Well if we take Reiff at #10 I hope he's a helluva lot better than Bulaga.

Bulaga in two seasons has become a good right tackle.

We don't need a good right tackle we need a left tackle and if it's the 10th pick that guy had better be on a Pro Bowl track after two seasons.

The right side is gonna be fine.

Well if thats a good summary then i want Martin. He is much more "our" style. Bell needs to prove himself for one Full year. Hairston will develop as a swing i hope or better. I am not sure i agree with drafting high for LT at this time.

THIS year. I do wish for the stud deep fast big WR if one lands to us also but the DE OLB passrusher should be our focus. Nix sounds like he knows what we need this time around. should be an interesting draft this year and i was surprised to hear him talk about FA to take the leap!

Edited by 3rdand12