Clemson TE Dwayne Allen...OOOPS!!!

College football is so dirty. Especially Clemson.

I'm assuming you're referring to his statement that money was not a propblem; that he has more resources available to him than at any point in his life?

I'm not sure he's talking about under the table style payouts. He could be referring to benefits associated with scholarships given to college athletes throughout the country. Anyone out there familiar with college athletic scholarships? I'm assuming they get food, lodging, and free educations. They may get minimus wage jobs on campus stacking books in the bookstore. There may be other legal benefits that would cause an athlete to feel that he is being fairly taken care of and is not desparate to jump into professional sports.

He sounded like an educated, well spoken man, who was upset about his team's loss; the kind of player Buffalo should be looking for. If he received any benefit that was not in accordance with NCAA rules and he knew the benefits were not proper, I think he is intelligent enought to not talk about them. The fact that he spoke as he did suggests to me that he has a legal scholastic entitlement to whatever resources that are available to him.

Um, I think minimum wage campus jobs are the expectation for kids on academic scholarship. I can't imagine a top football program expecting their players to waste time like, working an ordinary job for ordinary money.

That said, having listened, is it possible that we are succumbing to stereotypes here? I could see someone like, say, Blaine Gabbert saying something like that, meaning that his school has top-flight trainers and training facilities and that he has no financial worries (he comes from an affluent family who can provide him with extra coaching as well as a car and a generous allowance in addition to whatever stipend his scholarship provides). Cam Newton, on the other hand, while not dirt poor, clearly came from a family that needed money. Are we just assuming because this guy is black that he comes from a poor background and not an upper-middle-class Gabbert-like background, and that he's talking about payola rather than athletic resources and having no need for immediate money?

How is a 3 minute clip taken out of context?]

Simple! No one knows exactly what he meant by his statement. It could have been that he feels financially comfortable and sees no need to move to the pros simply for money. I suppose, John, that you have never said something that someone needed you to explain? You're Mr. perfect speech, easily understandable with every utterance?

What you are is someone willing to disparage someone for something he said that YOU choose to interpret in a bad way.

He said money will be no factor in his decision whether or not to enter the draft because financially,he's all set and has a lot of resources at Clemson.

To echo an earlier poster.....WOW.

That is a misquote, you realize?

He said "Im happy to say that one thing that's not going to go into my decision is money. Being at Clemson, I have more money and more resources than I've ever had in my whole life"

Whether it's a fair paraphrase to say "financially he's all set" is up to the listener.

The quote in question is at 1:30.

It isn't taken out of context when you are close minded and have already made up your mind about something.

Closed minded is not the right phrase to use in this instance... too open minded would be accurate. Closed minded would mean that what he said relates ONLY to what is legally provided. Opening it up, you could say that he is talking about payoffs, benefits, etc. After what has happened in college athletics, to be insulted for interpreting his comments as meaning improper benefits or payoffs is ignoring past examples of impropriety. If no one questioned his comments, then possible infractions would never be discovered because inevitably people talk.

Closed minded is not the right phrase to use in this instance... too open minded would be accurate. Closed minded would mean that what he said relates ONLY to what is legally provided. Opening it up, you could say that he is talking about payoffs, benefits, etc. After what has happened in college athletics, to be insulted for interpreting his comments as meaning improper benefits or payoffs is ignoring past examples of impropriety. If no one questioned his comments, then possible infractions would never be discovered because inevitably people talk.

Sorry, that makes no sense.

The OP has decided what the kid meant by his words. His mind is made up (closed).

Opening it up, you could say that he is talking about payoffs, benefits, etc. After what has happened in college athletics, to be insulted for interpreting his comments as meaning improper benefits or payoffs is ignoring past examples of impropriety.]

Opening it up, you could also say, Daddy got a pay raise at work. What has happened in the past, in other sitiations, should not be used as a basis for tarnishing a young man because you do not understand what he meant when he spoke.

Anyone that thinks that improprieties do NOT occur at basically every university with a big time Division I sports program is severely delusional and needs to take their head out of the sand. It's not a matter of IF it occurs, its a matter of the EXTENT to which it occurs.

Anyone that thinks that improprieties do NOT occur at basically every university with a big time Division I sports program is severely delusional and needs to take their head out of the sand. It's not a matter of IF it occurs, its a matter of the EXTENT to which it occurs.

I don't think that anyone is arguing that. What is being argued is what this individual meant, not what he said, but what his words meant (to him). Speculate all you want, but realize and admit that it is speculation.

I don't think that anyone is arguing that. What is being argued is what this individual meant, not what he said, but what his words meant (to him). Speculate all you want, but realize and admit that it is speculation.

We're all just speculating. I'm simply speculating based on the knowledge out there, which is that these things happen at basically all universities, and Clemson, despite being a middle tier school in a so-so conference, with a nobody as coach, somehow manages to pull in top recruits all the time.

We're all just speculating. I'm simply speculating based on the knowledge out there, which is that these things happen at basically all universities, and Clemson, despite being a middle tier school in a so-so conference, with a nobody as coach, somehow manages to pull in top recruits all the time.

Right, you've decided that the kid is dirty. I haven't. Nothing wrong with either of us.

The OP has decided what the kid meant by his words. His mind is made up (closed).

What I suggested can be another interpretation, but I NEVER said that this had to be exactly what he meant... to ignore the possibility of it is being closed minded, to be sure.

It IS all speculation, but after what has happened, to fear the worst is not crazy or ignorant.

]

Actually BB, it shows that you don't follow college football. Clemson is a notoriously dirty program who pulled a ridiculous recruiting class out of thin air last year after years of mediocrity. This just doesn't happen by chance. Mike Bellamy, who is from South Fl and was a Gator lock, switched his commitment to Clemson last second and then shows up on facebook holding thousands of dollars. It wasn't the first time this has happened at Clemson. Here is the lame excuse.

Waldrop said the photo was taken in the Charlotte (Fla.) High School weight room two months ago and was recently posted to Bellamy's Facebook page. Bellamy told Waldrop he was being picked up after school by his aunt, who had just cashed a check when Bellamy grasped the money -- more than a thousand dollars -- and had his picture taken.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2011/jun/10/bellamys-photo-was-just-a-joke/

Sounds believable. Anyway, I thought it was a funny clip that I thought I'd post to break up the monotony that can make this board feel like ground hog day. So sorry that you are outraged. :rolleyes:

Auburn, Miami, North Carolina, South Carolina, Bama and FSU have all shown that this happens regularly so to not take Allen's comment seriously would be very naive.

Anyone that thinks that improprieties do NOT occur at basically every university with a big time Division I sports program is severely delusional and needs to take their head out of the sand.]

No one is saying that there is no corruption in college football. We're just saying that one should demand to see much more "evidence of corruption" than merely taking a player's somewhat obscure statement and using it to state that player took improper payments.

]

Actually BB, it shows that you don't follow college football. Clemson is a notoriously dirty program who pulled a ridiculous recruiting class out of thin air last year after years of mediocrity. This just doesn't happen by chance. Mike Bellamy, who is from South Fl and was a Gator lock, switched his commitment to Clemson last second and then shows up on facebook holding thousands of dollars. It wasn't the first time this has happened at Clemson. Here is the lame excuse.

Waldrop said the photo was taken in the Charlotte (Fla.) High School weight room two months ago and was recently posted to Bellamy's Facebook page. Bellamy told Waldrop he was being picked up after school by his aunt, who had just cashed a check when Bellamy grasped the money -- more than a thousand dollars -- and had his picture taken.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2011/jun/10/bellamys-photo-was-just-a-joke/

Sounds believable. Anyway, I thought it was a funny clip that I thought I'd post to break up the monotony that can make this board feel like ground hog day. So sorry that you are outraged. :rolleyes:

Auburn, Miami, North Carolina, South Carolina, Bama and FSU have all shown that this happens regularly so to not take Allen's comment seriously would be very naive.

You've made many assumptions. Some of them about me. I'm glad that you understand me so well.

You see this specific case your way and I'll see it mine.

"One thing that won't factor into my decision is money. Being at Clemson, I've got more money and more resources than I've ever had in my whole life."

Somehow it didn't attract any follow up questions...

Ugh, the slippery slope of reporting on "amateur athletes."

Does his misstep warrant a follow up question? Damn skippy!

SHOULD the reporters hammer an "amateur athlete," on the spot, in the locker room, on what might have just been simply a poor choice of words? All things being equal, no, they should not.

But since we all "know" that there's nothing "amateur" about big-time college football, we expect the media to treat them thusly. But just like the sports media is expected to give high school athletes a free pass on some of the dumbass things THEY say with a microphone in their face, the principle should also apply to the equally "amateur" collegiate athlete.

Here comes the Catch-22: to hammer this guy with follow ups would be a hypocritical thing for the media to do--especially given the nature of the follow up questions--given their complete whiff on reporting, to date, all the dirty, nasty things happening behind the scenes in big-time college football that warrant the quotation marks in the first place.

Anyone that thinks that improprieties do NOT occur at basically every university with a big time Division I sports program is severely delusional and needs to take their head out of the sand.]

No one is saying that there is no corruption in college football. We're just saying that one should demand to see much more "evidence of corruption" than merely taking a player's somewhat obscure statement and using it to state that player took improper payments.

Exactamundo. And there's corruption, and then there's NFL rookie minimum. Do any of the wise, enlightened folks so savvy to the ways of college football corruption, believe same extends as far as $390,000 per annum?