Once again, "To all the trade up/down" people

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And, ask Bill Belechik how his "genius" trade down strategy has worked the last 5 years. :lol: What? They have around 3 guys left on the team and the worst defense in the league? That's what happens when you "stockpile" :rolleyes: crappy picks, and pass on guys like Clay Matthews. Your "stockpile" really is a "shitpile", and if you can't convince people to take 2-3 off your pile for one of their good picks...well you end up right where the Pats are on D, right now.

The Patriots* have the best record in the AFC. When's the last time they missed the playoffs? They seem to know what they are doing.

The rookie pay scale will make teams less hesitant to trade up since the financial risk is more limited than in the past.

The Patriots* have the best record in the AFC. When's the last time they missed the playoffs? They seem to know what they are doing.

The rookie pay scale will make teams less hesitant to trade up since the financial risk is more limited than in the past.

Also, teams who consisently draft 20-32 rarely (if ever) draft for need. It's a perpetuating thing of chance.

And it's funny you mention the Patriots*. Their draft results since the last Super Bowl? Less than lustrous.

Also, teams who consisently draft 20-32 rarely (if ever) draft for need. It's a perpetuating thing of chance.

And it's funny you mention the Patriots*. Their draft results since the last Super Bowl? Less than lustrous.

Are their results (picking near the bottom) really worse than ours (picking near the top)?

Edited by Scraps

Maybe the Bills can only really build through the draft. At least whoever the Bills draft, has to play for them ( I know some may hold out but lets be honest it doesnt happen that often)

In free agency, its up to the player as to where they want to play and lets face it, Buffalo is not high on a lot of players lists

Are their results (picking near the bottom) really worse than ours (picking near the top)?

I never indicated that we've done better, by any measurement. But the Patriots* could be setting up for a post-Brady, Manning-like vacuum if they don't start hitting with a tad more frequency.

They've got a couple of clicks on that odometer that haven't been serviced. We'll just have to wait (and wait and wait and wait) and see.

Maybe the Bills can only really build through the draft. At least whoever the Bills draft, has to play for them ( I know some may hold out but lets be honest it doesnt happen that often)

In free agency, its up to the player as to where they want to play and lets face it, Buffalo is not high on a lot of players lists

This theory really doesn't hold any water. FA's don't choose or not choose to sign in a city based solely on what city it is.

Draft picks are WAY overvalued, IMO. This is borne out by your chart. If the Bills had traded their #1 pick each of the last 10 years for a solid starter, which they would easily have been able to do given the perceived value of these picks, they would be infinitely better off. You may say that this is because the Bills can't draft, but I suspect that if you look at most teams in the NFL you would find that they would've been better off on average. Maybe not a top 5 pick, but if you can convert anything there after into a starting caliber player, then it's a no brainer, IMO. That goes for any pick in any round. To me the point of the draft is to convert your picks into solid players. If you can trade for one with a track record then why mess around with a rookie?

Draft picks are WAY overvalued, IMO. This is borne out by your chart. If the Bills had traded their #1 pick each of the last 10 years for a solid starter, which they would easily have been able to do given the perceived value of these picks, they would be infinitely better off. You may say that this is because the Bills can't draft, but I suspect that if you look at most teams in the NFL you would find that they would've been better off on average. Maybe not a top 5 pick, but if you can convert anything there after into a starting caliber player, then it's a no brainer, IMO. That goes for any pick in any round. To me the point of the draft is to convert your picks into solid players. If you can trade for one with a track record then why mess around with a rookie?

When a company files for IPO aren't they valued at five times their actual worth? I think the same principle applies to draft picks, especially now with the rookie cap.

Jus a quick peak at the last 3 drafts alone:

Solder, McCourty, Spikes, Merriweather, Mesko, Hernandez, Gronkowski, Edelman, Mayo--all starters.

Jus a quick peak at the last 3 drafts alone:

Solder, McCourty, Spikes, Merriweather, Mesko, Hernandez, Gronkowski, Edelman, Mayo--all starters.

Edelman is garbage. Mesko is a punter. Solder's not that good.

That takes the list down to six, two of whom are DB's starting for the worst pass defense in the NFL's history.

That leaves the two tight ends and the two linebackers.

Of the two linebackers, Brandon Spikes (with a whopping 14 starts in two years) has amassed 68 tackles, 1 INT and 0 sacks.

By my count, you listed nine starters. I assume you did this to demonstrate drafting "success," but if you actually put some thought into it, Mayo, Gronkowski and Hernadez appear to be the exception to the rule.

So they have three hits in three years.

How does those hits measure against Byrd, Levitre, Wood, Dareus, Sheppard, Williams and Spiller?

Edelman is garbage. Mesko is a punter. Solder's not that good.

That takes the list down to six, two of whom are DB's starting for the worst pass defense in the NFL's history.

That leaves the two tight ends and the two linebackers.

Of the two linebackers, Brandon Spikes (with a whopping 14 starts in two years) has amassed 68 tackles, 1 INT and 0 sacks.

By my count, you listed nine starters. I assume you did this to demonstrate drafting "success," but if you actually put some thought into it, Mayo, Gronkowski and Hernadez appear to be the exception to the rule.

So they have three hits in three years.

How does those hits measure against Byrd, Levitre, Wood, Dareus, Sheppard, Williams and Spiller?

Spiller is a hit? Seems you denigrate their players and overrate of ours.

It is tougher to break into the starting lineup on that team because of the talent they have.

Edited by Scraps

I just think trading up would be ridiculous......we need starters and we have NO depth.....this season as shown that.

I think we should just make a play for a few key offensive free agents and go entire defensive draft......we NEED it.

Gailey & Nix both said the same thing before the start of this past season as far as your statement for the depth of the team but try telling that to the below average intellectual Bills fan & see how far you get with that :blink::blink:

...because it appeared to produce the desired effect. See here: Last year's "trade up/down" thread

However, recent posts have shown that I need to bring this back up again. :D I can only imagine what will happen when the various "stories" come out.

Again, for reasons passing understanding, we are having to endure misguided posts telling us that we could have traded down(up). Perhaps this thread will put an end to...for another year... "But...but...but why didn't we trade down(up)?" :rolleyes: The first part of that answer is: it takes 2 sides to make a trade. The second part is: teams now value picks more, than only a very few players. The third part is: teams now value top 10 draft picks 5x more than they used to.

This is directly due to the fact that over the last 20 years, the amount of NFL starter-ready talent has shrunk, while the # of teams has increased.(More kids spending less time in college, I remain unsure as to whether there is less talent overall) This is also how you explain the rise in the # of UDFAs coming in and out-competing #3-7 draft picks. Increasingly, top 10-20 picks are as close to the only sure thing there is. It remains to be seen how the new rookie contract agreement will effect this. But, for now, few teams want to trade these picks without a ridiculous price tag: see draft chart. And few teams want to pay it, just for the privilege of over-paying for one guy, when they could have had 3.

New Draft Chart Please reply if you don't understand what this is/how it works. I will be more than happy to explain it to you. Perhaps understanding this chart properly will help posters who struggle with these concepts. IF you have a "creative" idea :lol: and doesn't even come close to following this chart, do yourself a favor(unless you want to get hazed, or are ieatcrayonz) and don't bother. And, no, just because you can do it in Madden, doesn't mean it can happen IRL.:lol:

Once again, "to all the you gotta have a partner people" did you notice that the value chart changes from time to time? It's because the innovators are changing it all the time. You can stay with the pack or you can run in front of the pack. The Bills with only a few years excepted have always liked to run with the pack and they have finished more often than not well into the bottom half of the pack instead of leading it.