Jerry are you out there? Your column sucked.

I hope you come to this blog to read this, and I hope Chan is bright enough to realize your opinion of Stevie's behavior is what's wrong with the media in this city. I'm not condoning his behavior, and I believe Chan was justified in his reaction to it, but to suggest he should be shown the door is obsurd. Is he to join the list of athletes to thrive in another city while the media sits back wringing their hands about another player the "Bills" let get away? He has shown some maturity issues but I would hope he can grow from his setbacks. I would rather have him than Santonio Holmes any day, even with his antics. The media in this town couldn't shuffle Lynch out fast enough, and then there's Willis and even Antoine who didn't "deserve" the kind of money he was looking for because he doesn't get picks. I hope The teams we send these players to atleast send us thank you notes. If you want to get on a band wagon how about pettitioning for the No Fun League to hire real (I actually do this for a living) officials. This league is a joke, I just wish I wasn't hooked on it. Oh by the way Jerry, Happy New Year!? Why So Serious??????????????????????????????????????????????

I hope you come to this blog to read this, and I hope Chan is bright enough to realize your opinion of Stevie's behavior is what's wrong with the media in this city. I'm not condoning his behavior, and I believe Chan was justified in his reaction to it, but to suggest he should be shown the door is obsurd. Is he to join the list of athletes to thrive in another city while the media sits back wringing their hands about another player the "Bills" let get away? He has shown some maturity issues but I would hope he can grow from his setbacks. I would rather have him than Santonio Holmes any day, even with his antics. The media in this town couldn't shuffle Lynch out fast enough, and then there's Willis and even Antoine who didn't "deserve" the kind of money he was looking for because he doesn't get picks. I hope The teams we send these players to atleast send us thank you notes. If you want to get on a band wagon how about pettitioning for the No Fun League to hire real (I actually do this for a living) officials. This league is a joke, I just wish I wasn't hooked on it. Oh by the way Jerry, Happy New Year!? Why So Serious??????????????????????????????????????????????

Your right. Free Agents can read this also. Jerry is doing the team no favors by blowing this way out of wack.

Stevie is the best WR we have. Why try to run him out of town like they did McGahee? They need more talent not give up the few players we have.

I hope he reads this also lol

Edited by Bufcomments

Lets transfer him. That's it, we'll transfer the young man. Better yet, lets close GITMO. Call the President, tell him we're abandoning GITMO. No wait, don't call the President. Instead, let's train the young man. That's it. I'm sure I read that somewhere. We should train the young man
Paraphrasing Col. Jessup.

I think that's a great idea. This young man has talent. He's up for a contract. Let's put a clause in his new contract that hurts him financially if he gets penalized for a predetermined act. That should do it.

Sullivan; you could learn from Jessup. :angry:

The general idea behind Sullivan's article is laudable as any of us believe Stevie's antics and behavior significant hurt the BILLS yesterday. That being said, I don't support Stevie J coming back to Buffalo UNLESS it were under the Franchise Tag. Sullivan is against the idea and says why do it for $9.5 million for one year.....the answer to me is exactly the reason for the article. You give Stevie ONE YEAR at the money he wants, to see if his attitude, behavior, work ethic, and talent all prove to be worth it. In other words, he's had a great couple of seasons in many respects, but also had some serious lapses in judgment in others. By slapping The Tag on him for one year, he gets paid the way he wants, and the BILLS reserve judgment to see if another year under Chan's watchful eye improves his attitude and behavior on the field (assuming Chan and Co. are still here next year). If Stevie's on-filed antics continue, show him the door....at that point it would be three consecutive years and into his mid-20's, plenty of time to adjust his professional attitude to be one to reflect what a great teammate and good players does: play with heart and keep your head in the game....talent will only take you so far, mental acumen must be a factor at the professional level, and that requires a mature prespective. I abhor what Stevie did in light of what his previous behaviors were, but to shuffle him out of OBD at this point to me is pre-mature....paying him big on a long-term contract is equally premature, The Tag is the only good solution here....IMO

The general idea behind Sullivan's article is laudable as any of us believe Stevie's antics and behavior significant hurt the BILLS yesterday. That being said, I don't support Stevie J coming back to Buffalo UNLESS it were under the Franchise Tag. Sullivan is against the idea and says why do it for $9.5 million for one year.....the answer to me is exactly the reason for the article. You give Stevie ONE YEAR at the money he wants, to see if his attitude, behavior, work ethic, and talent all prove to be worth it. In other words, he's had a great couple of seasons in many respects, but also had some serious lapses in judgment in others. By slapping The Tag on him for one year, he gets paid the way he wants, and the BILLS reserve judgment to see if another year under Chan's watchful eye improves his attitude and behavior on the field (assuming Chan and Co. are still here next year). If Stevie's on-filed antics continue, show him the door....at that point it would be three consecutive years and into his mid-20's, plenty of time to adjust his professional attitude to be one to reflect what a great teammate and good players does: play with heart and keep your head in the game....talent will only take you so far, mental acumen must be a factor at the professional level, and that requires a mature prespective. I abhor what Stevie did in light of what his previous behaviors were, but to shuffle him out of OBD at this point to me is pre-mature....paying him big on a long-term contract is equally premature, The Tag is the only good solution here....IMO

Guys I didn't read the article and have no idea what you are talking about. It might help if you post the link to the column:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/jerry-sullivan/

Here is an excerpt:

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Today is "locker cleanout day" at One Bills Drive. Here's hoping that Stevie Johnson spends as much time clearing out his locker as he does dreaming up his touchdown celebrations.

Front office types should show up in the locker room with empty cardboard boxes, in case Johnson needs help gathering all his things. They could hand him a bag lunch and a bus ticket, in honor of former coach Gregg Williams, and form a reception line as he leaves the premises. Forever.

Guys I didn't read the article and have no idea what you are talking about. It might help if you post the link to the column:

Here is an excerpt:

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Today is "locker cleanout day" at One Bills Drive. Here's hoping that Stevie Johnson spends as much time clearing out his locker as he does dreaming up his touchdown celebrations.

Front office types should show up in the locker room with empty cardboard boxes, in case Johnson needs help gathering all his things. They could hand him a bag lunch and a bus ticket, in honor of former coach Gregg Williams, and form a reception line as he leaves the premises. Forever.

Regarding Jerry's thoughts I agree that this is a bit too harsh. Why not use the tag on Stevie and see if he can have a "distraction" free year in 2012? Yeah it will probably cost $2-4 M more this way but we have the cap space and it could save money in the end. Did you feel good with Fitzpatrick throwing passes to the trio of David Nelson, Derek Haggan, and Ruvell Martin? Me neither...Stevie is our best WR and we need to keep him

Great post. There is no way that the Bills can simply let Stevie walk, that would be idiotic. Tagging him and making it clear that he needs to grow the hell up to get a long term deal is the way to go.

What Jerry doesn't understand (among other things)is that there are behavior clauses put in many NFL contracts these days. The Bills will have one with Stevie when they resign him and the problem goes away or he gets fined heavily and/or suspended without pay.

In fact, I would bet right now that he is the LAST member of the Bills who would ever get a celebration penalty again.

And I hope the rest of the league looks at him as a character issue guy so the offers aren't too aggressive. Chan should never have stood up for Stevie saying he's a good guy in his postgame interview. He should have said no comment on the incident until I meet with him personally.

We lost 5 out of 6 games in our division this year, we can't let any talent walk. Nobody gets away unless we cut 'em in camp or get a solid trade.

My criticism of Stevie has less too do with his on-field behavior than it does with his performance. The guy seems to have a an uncanny ability to drop a key pass at the most crucial point in the game. Instead of being a born-again Puritan tsk-tsking TD celebrations, Sullivan would better serve WNY fans by focusing on Stevie's failures as a player.

Love this. You couldn't be more right bro.

What Jerry doesn't understand (among other things)is that there are behavior clauses put in many NFL contracts these days. The Bills will have one with Stevie when they resign him and the problem goes away or he gets fined heavily and/or suspended without pay.

In fact, I would bet right now that he is the LAST member of the Bills who would ever get a celebration penalty again.

And I hope the rest of the league looks at him as a character issue guy so the offers aren't too aggressive. Chan should never have stood up for Stevie saying he's a good guy in his postgame interview. He should have said no comment on the incident until I meet with him personally.

We lost 5 out of 6 games in our division this year, we can't let any talent walk. Nobody gets away unless we cut 'em in camp or get a solid trade.

IMO though, he really does seem like a good hearted guy who is loved by his teammates and loves his teammates in return. He def makes some bad decisions but who doesn't in life ya know? He will learn. It's not often that young talented players have good attitudes, love playing in buffalo, and have the respect and love of their teammates. I think hes a winner and I really hope he resigns.

Your right. Free Agents can read this also. Jerry is doing the team no favors by blowing this way out of wack.

Stevie is the best WR we have. Why try to run him out of town like they did McGahee? They need more talent not give up the few players we have.

I hope he reads this also lol

Becuase Anyone outside of a Bills homer knows the kid isn't worth it. Hell even Deion Sanders was calling him stupid Sunday afternoon. This kid is only going to get dumber with more money.

I say offer up 3 years 15 mill if he doesn't take it, then Transition tag his ass ( I think every team got those back with the new CBA?) and move on.

Here is an excerpt:

I refuse to click on that link, because I don't want to reward The Buffalo News for printing the above drivel. Jerry wants the Bills to not re-sign Stevie Johnson because of his touchdown celebrations. That's like telling a starving man that he should turn down the offer of a feast, because some of the attendees at the feast talk too much.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

If the bills were sold tomorrow jerry would declare victory...the guy's a tool.

I don't understand how he's even employed to write about a sports team of the same city he lives in...

Becuase Anyone outside of a Bills homer knows the kid isn't worth it. Hell even Deion Sanders was calling him stupid Sunday afternoon. This kid is only going to get dumber with more money.

I say offer up 3 years 15 mill if he doesn't take it, then Transition tag his ass ( I think every team got those back with the new CBA?) and move on.

I don't take anything deion says regarding judgmental items serious...I mean seriously...Meion Deion?

I don't really read to many Sullivan columns but for the first time in a long time a agree with him. Notice he stays away from Sabres - Jerry does not know anything about the NHL. He'll pretend to in later Jan or Feb

He knows even less about football, he's a sub-par blog hack that just happens to still have a job at the Buffalo News. He writes over-opinionated garbage that riles up people who don't know any better to avoid his drivel. Like bugs to a zapper. I stopped reading his articles a long time ago, getting upset about his stuff is like arguing with a drunk, it's pointless.

As much as I don't always agree with Jerry, this time I think he's dead on. Johnson is NOT a clutch receiver, he's a very good receiver, but not a great receiver and the BIlls will be fine without him. This guy is all about himself and a total MORON! Even my five year old understands what it means to be told not to do something again. The sad thing is, this was planned ahead of time. What kind of message is he sending to his own kid, that it's fine to break the rules as long as it's all about you. Get rid of him, maybe the Jets will take him, he would fit right in with those a** clowns.

We have this running back named Fred Jackson who replaced them, by the way. I guess you choose to ignore that fact when complaining about who we let go.

We don't need another TO in Buffalo- Jerry's right, show him the door and move on. What's the real joke here is a player who has no respect for his coach and doesn't honor his own statement to cease with the celebrations that hurt his own team AS WELL AS dropping the ball in crucial situations is continually defended as if he's a Pro Bowl receiver.

Laughable. Yeah, the guy who owned Revis should be shown the door. Then the Bills can draft a WR at #10 who REPLACES Stevie rather than giving us a strong receiving corps and more options. Look, I understand the need to find a scapegoat to run out of town after a 6 - 10 season. But anyone who thinks Stevie should be that scapegoat is an idiot and knows nothing about football. You want to look at why we were 6 - 10? Look at the QB position. Until this team gets an elite QB, it will never see a playoff game, let alone win it.

This is a win-win for Sullivan. He can write an entire column bitching about Johnson to stir up readers. Then, next August, he can use his selective amnesia to write about how the Bills are cheap and don't resign their talent.

I think the Bills should re-sign Johnson but not overpay for him. They should also put a clause in his contract with some hefty fines for stupidity.