Proposed rule change, what do you think?

Beerball

two rules I want changed:

1. pass interference needs to have two levels:

A. spot of the foul penalty for really obvious calls - intentional

B. a 15 yard version for those iffy calls - non-intentional

(I know the definition of intentional comes into play but we've all seen exactly what I'm talking about)

2. the 5 yard and an automatic first down for a defensive holding/hands to the face. That is such a harsh penalty.

I saw a call in a college game that confused me - forgot the game - may have been Western Michigan/Purdue.

there was an illegal shift on the offense but as the play developed there was a nasty facemask penalty on the defense - the guys head almost 180'd. The penalties offset. I would have thought the 15 yard penalty cancelled the 5 yard penalty.

Actually a simpler way to implement this is if the ball is inside the 20 (either end) the PI is assessed a 15yd penalty. however between the 20's its a spot foul.....

Offensive Holding should have two levels.... Holding - 10yds - for actually holding/pulling and for the typical calls... Impediment -5yds - for all those hands outside the pads but no obvious sign of holding the player up calls.

OR even simpler, develop a mandatory hand mitt for OL which prevents virtually all but the most flagrant offenses.

I like the Penalty box idea myself, if your a defensive player, and you get a personal foul, you have to come out for 2 or 3 minutes whiles your team is on defense that way the penalty has some teeth to it. I think its a better solution than when the penalties offset and nothing really happens.

I think when both players get personal fouls send them both to the box.

great thread, surprise overtime rules havent come up in it yet!

i've always thought that penalties that occur away from the ball during a play, shouldn't negate the yardage, but should be tacked on at the end.

rightly or wrongly, ive just always thought it was counter intuitive to take away a 50 yard kick return, because someone grabbed a facemask on the other side of the field.

Guys, the game doesn't need to become Calvinball.

It just has to stop bending backwards so far in favor of offense.

If people wanted to watch the Arena League and scores like 80-68, that league wouldn't have gone bankrupt.

'Cause I'll tell you one thing. The moment when the physicality of the NFL is gone and it essentially becomes flag football, so am I. And we're almost there.

If people wanted to watch the Arena League and scores like 80-68, that league wouldn't have gone bankrupt.

'Cause I'll tell you one thing. The moment when the physicality of the NFL is gone and it essentially becomes flag football, so am I. And we're almost there.

Actually, one look at the list of players on IR for the Bills and for the rest of the league will tell you they're not even close to "flag football".

I think most NFL fans would rather watch teams score than punt--"pitcher's duels" are for baseball. And the Arena League didn't fold because its fans wanted to see more defense (for real???).

Anyway, for rule changes--I agree with the the 15 yard PI max. If it's within the 15 yard line, spot it on the 1. That alone will change the game significantly.

Also, get rid of the ridiculous "illegal block in the back" on returns. Is anyone really being protected by this rule? Has anyone been seriously injured by taking a shove in the back as the ball is going away from the blocker anyway? Dumb rule that can have major ramifications on returns.

Change those 2 and the game is fine for now

Actually, one look at the list of players on IR for the Bills and for the rest of the league will tell you they're not even close to "flag football".

I think most NFL fans would rather watch teams score than punt--"pitcher's duels" are for baseball. And the Arena League didn't fold because its fans wanted to see more defense (for real???).

Anyway, for rule changes--I agree with the the 15 yard PI max. If it's within the 15 yard line, spot it on the 1. That alone will change the game significantly.

Also, get rid of the ridiculous "illegal block in the back" on returns. Is anyone really being protected by this rule? Has anyone been seriously injured by taking a shove in the back as the ball is going away from the blocker anyway? Dumb rule that can have major ramifications on returns.

Change those 2 and the game is fine for now

The reason you don't see injuries is because you don't see the big hits due to the penalty. You see light bumps.

I forgot all those 80-68 games. 60 has been hit once(?) this year? 50 maybe a small handful out of 32 teams playing 16 games. So like 1-2% of games have one team break 50?

What I really think sucks about rule is say the offense is 1st and goal at the four, the defense jumps off sides, half the distance puts the ball at the two, then offense has a false start and you move it back the full five yards. I think there should be some type of adjustment where as if there was a half the distance penalty in one direction, you then can't turn around and assess the full five yards in the other direction.

I'd switch holding to a spot-of-the-foul and loss of down penalty. It's sort of an odd play for the current do-over system. If there's a hold on the line of scrimmage on first and ten, it's 2nd and 10, not first and 20. You act as though the held player would have made the play.

Pass interference is fine as ruled, I think you just need to work very hard that the refs understand the rule and call it fairly and correctly as often as possible. The range of what might be clean and what might be a big penalty is too large.