Do you feel the Bills are heading in the right direction?

southernbill

Personally I feel we are. This season is a let down after such a great start, but we had a lot of injuries this year, more than most teams deal with in 2 years. I'm encouraged with improvement. If Jackson and Johnson are both back next year and we draft well this year, I think we will see a very competitive team take the field next year. And if not, well that's why you drink beer before and during the game.

Surprisingly I do actually feel like the Bills are going in the right direction. And this is coming from a true pessimist...

When the Bills were healthy, they looked like a playoff team. The 2 games they lost out of the first 7 were by last second field goals, against pretty good teams. Teams rarely go from awful to great in 1 or even 2 seasons. The Bills built up some decent players from the draft, and made some good acquisitions in the past year. Something that they have regularly failed at prior to Nix's tenure.

The Bills had what seemed to many like a real lack of talent on offense to begin the season. Gailey has taken a lot of heat, but I think he did a tremendous job with what he had, especially considering the injuries.

The Bills obviously still have some serious problems though. For me it starts with George Edwards on defense. I think the Bills have more talent on defense than they do on offense, yet George Edwards hasn't been able to put it to good use. He HAS to go for the Bills to get better. Then there are the obvious personnel needs, OLB, and WR being the big ones.

What will really determine if this team gets better is whether the Bills will be willing to keep the good players they have, compete for good FA's that they need, and put up the money to get legitimate assistant coaches. This is really the scariest part of it for me, whether the Bills will spend what it takes. Nix/Gailey have done a good job IMO.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll tell you after I see how they handle their upcoming FAs.

That will tell exactly where the FO stands as far as building a winner , if they don't get Stevie , Fred , Wilson , Scott & Byrd signed to extentions it will tell a great deal about our team if they really do care about winning or just being a money maker for RW !!

My expectations aren't diminished merely because we've sucked so long. Only one direction is the right direction. That, to me, means all parts of operations are on the same page. Every level of this organization has the same goal, same priority, and same gameplan. Do the Bills look to be that way? No.

Sure, they might draft well over the next few years with Nix/Gailey. But, it remains to be seen whether they will keep the guys they should be keeping/paying. It remains to be seen whether they will go out and wisely spend in F.A. to add to the drafts and to make a serious run at having the right personnel on the field. Will they hire the right D.C. to run this miserable defense? Will they spend when they should spend - hire the right men to do what needs be done? Add to all that - they'll need luck, too, as this season was evidence to what happens without it.

I don't believe they're going in the right direction, let alone even on the right track. Until this organization shows me with actions and sustained plans of action will I believe that they are interested in anything more than staying afloat.

I'm not interested in staying afloat. I'm not interested in a mediocre 10-6 ballclub if that's as far as they can go with a QB who can have a good game only one quarter of the time. For me, its all in for excellency, greatness, or its a losing team, and I'm sick of seeing this team, or caring about a team that doesn't appear to care about itself. Greatness should always be the measure of success - nothing less.

An indicator for me that a rebuild isn't working occurs when a HC has to fire a coordinator. That's a huge step in the wrong direction, and Gailey himself may have demonstrated this for Todd Haley.

Oh, and an ownership change. This team hasn't escaped the 4-7 win range since 2004. Multiple GM's, HC's, coordinators, and players haven't taken this team out of that range in 7 years.

The main reason for the lost decade is the unbelievable ineptitude by this owner since 2005, GM's that shouldn't be GM's, no GM, a moron for a de facto GM, a president that does absolutely nothing in terms of making the right decisions to build this ball club into a winner.

On a "normal" winning NFL origination there is a proper hierarchy . Where the GM and president are actual football people

why wouldnt Jackson be back? unless you think he gets traded bc he has two years left on his deal

the 2011 draft was light years better then the 2010 draft so in that respect yeah they improved

I have no confidence in Chan at this point. His play calling is brutal and sticking with a wide open passing offense when they should be concentrating on running the ball and controling the clock especially with this defense is a huge concern.

What kind of coach doesnt adjust to what his team does best or try and limit their weaknesses?

So true. We really don't have a true Head Coach bringing together a plan for all 3 phases of the game. He seems to seperate the Offense regardless of it's impact on the rest of the game. Not running the ball more is frustrating.

I hope we are. I felt like at the beginning of the season that our 11 year streak of no playoffs was over, but it didn't end up being that way. The only concerns I have is George Edwards as the Defensive Coordinator and our seven game losing streak. Edwards is clueless, and the seven game streak showed me we are no different from the other garbage of the other 11 seasons.

Anyone who says no is an idiot or a plant from another board. It's obvious the Bills are on the right track. Yes, there are some issues, but this is a team on the upswing, and they will fight for a playoff spot next year. I'm willing to bet a good bottle of red wine ($20) with any naysayer on this. 9 wins as the cut off next year. Less than 9 wins I'll buy; more than 9 wins you buy; 9 wins is a push. Post it here.

Money sent to a TBD moderator held in trust.

Edited by TPS

Personally I feel we are. This season is a let down after such a great start, but we had a lot of injuries this year, more than most teams deal with in 2 years. I'm encouraged with improvement. If Jackson and Johnson are both back next year and we draft well this year, I think we will see a very competitive team take the field next year. And if not, well that's why you drink beer before and during the game.

maybe if we draft correctly and pay a few free agents perhaps we can get to 8 and 8 some day.

Anyone who says no is an idiot or a plant from another board. It's obvious the Bills are on the right track. Yes, there are some issues, but this is a team on the upswing, and they will fight for a playoff spot next year. I'm willing to bet a good bottle of red wine ($20) with any naysayer on this. 9 wins as the cut off next year. Less than 9 wins I'll buy; more than 9 wins you buy; 9 wins is a push. Post it here.

Ok, who hacked my account last night? Buurrrrpppp!!!! :beer:

Although this season has been a bumpy ride indeed it has had its moments of joy and pain and created all kinds of controversy. Keeps us talking for sure.

A couple of you folks mentioned, and i agree 100%, it will depend on what we do post season. Who we keep and who we draft.

Is it wrong of me to be enthusiastic for off season?

I follow the Bills pretty closely and often want to post here, but to me the answer is the direction set by the owner and at that point what else is there to say.

And Ralph Wilson has NO direction for this football team. To him, at this point, it's simply a financial investment.

The Buffalo Bills need:

- A new owner.

- A new head coach.

- A new coaching staff.

- A new quarterback.

That's a big order. Without the above this team is mediocre and always will be.

if allowed....i'm in....i got under..

i do think they are headed in right direction.

btw, try the Angels Landing (stags leap) Cab....$19 at premier, i just won first place in a blind taste test party.

Edited by papazoid

if allowed....i'm in....i got under..

i do think they are headed in right direction.

btw, try the Angels Landing (stags leap) Cab....$19 at premier, i just won first place in a blind taste test party.

Since it was an iTPS post (inebriated), I'll pay for my inebriation by letting the first 5 takers in...burp!

Thanks for the tip! Will do.

1. papazoid

7-9, 7-9, 7-9, 4-12, 6-10, ...

QB = Fitz, with no backup and no prospect - Third off-seaon for Nix to find us a QB

Pro Bowlers = None.

Very good players = K. Williams, Dareus, Barnett, Letvitre, and Wood

Good players = George Willson, Byrd, Urbik, Pears, Stevie Johnson, Lindell, and Chandler

Prospects = Spiller, Aaron Williams, Hairston, Sheppard, Nelson, Searcy, rookie CB (#26), back up lineman Colin what-his-name

Past prime = Florence, D. Edwards, Kelsey, Spencer Johnson, A. Davis, Moorman

Ok = Bell, Moats, Scott, Garrison, Heard,

Not getting there = Carrington, Troup, Choice, Jones, R. Martin, Dotson, Hagen, Rossvelt, all the other TEs,

Flush - the rest

Edited by Bob in STL