Bringing in a replacement Center seems like a no-brainer

You can find them in free agency.

Right between the "#1 Receiver" and "Pass Rusher".

If you get to the "Run Stopping Nose Tackle", you went to far.

And you don't think Whaley has been scouring the waiver wire and practice squads? Besides, there is one game left in our season.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone notice how bad the snaps were in the Denver game? I mean, probably the worst shotgun snaps I've ever seen in my life at any level of football (including High School). Fitzy did an amazing job of handling them, but ya gotta ask "WHY!!?" I know that during the Miami game the excuse was that the rain made it too hard to snap, yet they stayed in 5 wideout Shotgun for most of the game despite the god-awful snaps and lack of good WRs. How can a professional football team not have a single healthy player that can snap a football? It just defies logic. If they can bring in replacement Kickers, why not a Center??

Wow, easy there. Center is one of the most important positions of the offense and the Bills lost their top 2. Brown came in and struggled with a few early, but was fine the rest of the game...overreact much?

The Miami game was Levitre, who quickly proved he could NOT snap the ball, and was replaced by Urbik, who did fine.

doesnt every football team have a backup lineman that can play center and guard?

Chan just calls his plays, no matter the situation or opponent...clear signs of a bad coach

Yes... But not every team loses both their starting, and backup center/starting guard, and starting LT. Injuries happen, blaming it on Gailey is just asinine.

if that was the case he would have played Center at Miami but its clear Chan and company didnt have a plan for a backup Center

Urbik did fine at center, you really are just looking for excuse to trash the Bills, no matter how flimsy it may be. Injuries happen, get over it...

Oh by the way...The Bills WON last week with their 3rd string emergency replacement center, or weren't you watching? What are you really complaining about?

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Did anyone notice how bad the snaps were in the Denver game? I mean, probably the worst shotgun snaps I've ever seen in my life at any level of football (including High School). Fitzy did an amazing job of handling them, but ya gotta ask "WHY!!?" I know that during the Miami game the excuse was that the rain made it too hard to snap, yet they stayed in 5 wideout Shotgun for most of the game despite the god-awful snaps and lack of good WRs. How can a professional football team not have a single healthy player that can snap a football? It just defies logic. If they can bring in replacement Kickers, why not a Center??

not for one game. Our guards practice center so a "replacement" isn't necessary. Brown did good once he got settled in and was mauling guys so I'll take that trade off.

not for one game. Our guards practice center so a "replacement" isn't necessary. Brown did good once he got settled in and was mauling guys so I'll take that trade off.

yea were the Buffalo Bills, we don't need no stinking true center for one game. Why? because we suck and it no longer matters. Besides, I think Moorman should be at a second position, the bum comes in for one play every offensive series, and it's always the last play. Whats up with that? Can't he at least be one of our 5 wide?

yea were the Buffalo Bills, we don't need no stinking true center for one game. Why? because we suck and it no longer matters. Besides, I think Moorman should be at a second position, the bum comes in for one play every offensive series, and it's always the last play. Whats up with that? Can't he at least be one of our 5 wide?

That's not a bad idea. Remember how fast he was when he ran those fakes?!

Edited by mountainwampus

Of course, I never understood our getting rid of Hangartner either. Somehow he couldn't play backup center and guard for us, but he can start at guard all season for Carolina which is 6th in the league in QB hits and 15th in sacks?

(edit: what link should be: http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/09/06/nix-on-hangartner-release/ )

We got rid of Hangartner simply cause as a guard/center backup he made too much money compared with Urbik and Rhinehart. The Bills did not see much of a dropoff in talent when Urbik was playing compared to Hangartner so of course they went with the younger and lower cost talent. Hangartner wasn't going to get any better at his age, but the youngs kids could.... so as a business decision it does make sense. The other consideration is that Hangartner may not have been willing to accept a backup role because of his contract language. (costing him money not to start)

To be honest, if the Bills FO thought they had a legitimate playoff team in the preseason the probably would have kept him.... vetrans can make a difference in the post season... but nobody was confident the Bills would make the playoffs this year, everyone had hopes, but only a confident few had "high hopes" way back in the preseason.

Edited by UticaBill

Wait... Are we talking about our back-up Center (Urbick)? Or our back-up back-up Center who played the last game?

Because Urbick played well at Center before getting injured. And then Brown played good enough for a 3rd string Center after he calmed down a bit.

What's the problem? Or are we still mad about Hangartner and are looking for an excuse to call Ralph cheap?

Levitre looked as bad at center as anyone I've seen.

BTW - a replacement kicker doesn't need to know any plays so bringing one in is easy. A center needs to know the plays and the line calls and bringing in someone on Wednesday for the weeks games doesn't give enought time for that to happen.

Agreed, It's the hardest position to play on the line. Too hard to learn the system in a matter of days...

Urbik was the backup center. He got hurt. Now we've lost both centers, Wood and Urbik. The question is should a team have a backup dedicated center, like Hanglider. probably not.

doesnt every football team have a backup lineman that can play center and guard?

Chan just calls his plays, no matter the situation or opponent...clear signs of a bad coach

clear signs of a bad coach

Looks like we have a candidate for HC of the Bills and his name is Max997.

Urbik was the backup center. He got hurt. Now we've lost both centers, Wood and Urbik. The question is should a team have a backup dedicated center, like Hanglider. probably not.

Question: If Urbick WAS our back up center. Why did he start at guard and Levitre took the center snaps all week and then started at Center, on that wonderful loss? That really started to make me wonder about Chan Gailey's ability to coach at any NFL level much less a head coach.

Soooo, after losing your starting center and his backup, where do you propose to find this true center for one game? :wallbash:

Soooo, after losing your starting center and his backup, where do you propose to find this true center for one game? :wallbash:

If I'm as lame as Nix and no one is available on the Chargers P. squad. I would call the Steelrs, Green Bay, N.O. and ask the simple question. What would you guys do? because were not smart enough to manage our way out of this situation.

Does that work for you?

If I'm as lame as Nix and no one is available on the Chargers P. squad. I would call the Steelrs, Green Bay, N.O. and ask the simple question. What would you guys do? because were not smart enough to manage our way out of this situation.

Does that work for you?

You would call 2 teams with as bad or worse o-lines then the Bills?

The Steelers would probably say to raid the Bills linemen, thats what they have done. their starting LT in the Super Bowl last season was a Bills castoff. Rogers was getting killed all last season behind that o-line. the green bay o-line is nothing special, it just looks much better because the Qb behind is is so good that teams can't throw everything at him because he will beat you in the air with a pass to whomever ends up open.

i think its time you let the grown ups talk about football and you can go watch Sponge Bob repeats

Question: If Urbick WAS our back up center. Why did he start at guard and Levitre took the center snaps all week and then started at Center, on that wonderful loss? That really started to make me wonder about Chan Gailey's ability to coach at any NFL level much less a head coach.

because they thought Levitre had potential to be a C also, and had been practicing him there too, Urbik and Rhinehardt were playing well at Guard while Levitre filled in at LT so they figured it was better to move Levitre to C and not have to disrupt the starting Guards to shuffle the lines. They found out in that game that levitre needed alot more work to be a capable C

Wait... Are we talking about our back-up Center (Urbick)? Or our back-up back-up Center who played the last game?

Because Urbick played well at Center before getting injured. And then Brown played good enough for a 3rd string Center after he calmed down a bit.

What's the problem? Or are we still mad about Hangartner and are looking for an excuse to call Ralph cheap?

I heard Belichick carries 7 back-up-back-up-back-up centers, and that Sean Payton carries 9. Any roster with less than 5 tri-backs is lame.

I heard Belichick carries 7 back-up-back-up-back-up centers, and that Sean Payton carries 9. Any roster with less than 5 tri-backs is lame.

Ha!

Funny enough, I was just doing the research on OLines and Backups around the league.

Patriots back-up Centers? Ryan Wendell G/C, and Nick McDonald listed as a Guard.

Saints back-up Center (they only carry 1 backup)? Matt Tennant, G/C

NYJets back-up Center? NONE listed on the depth chart behind Mangold.

NYGiants back-up Center? NONE listed on depth chart.

Colts back-up Center? Mike Pollak listed as a Guard

49ers back-up Center? Adam Snyder G/C

So it doesnt look like the Bills FO are out-smarting themselves, or doing anything that other teams don't do.

I dont know who has the "best" OL in the league, but I'll be happy to do the Rocket Surgery required in looking up their back-ups if anyone wants to let me know...

Ha!

Funny enough, I was just doing the research on OLines and Backups around the league.

Patriots back-up Centers? Ryan Wendell G/C, and Nick McDonald listed as a Guard.

Saints back-up Center (they only carry 1 backup)? Matt Tennant, G/C

NYJets back-up Center? NONE listed on the depth chart behind Mangold.

NYGiants back-up Center? NONE listed on depth chart.

Colts back-up Center? Mike Pollak listed as a Guard

49ers back-up Center? Adam Snyder G/C

So it doesnt look like the Bills FO are out-smarting themselves, or doing anything that other teams don't do.

I dont know who has the "best" OL in the league, but I'll be happy to do the Rocket Surgery required in looking up their back-ups if anyone wants to let me know...

There are plenty of reasons to be disappointed with the performance of the bills in general, but it seems a bit unfair to throw "they didn't plan 3 deep" onto the pile.

You would call 2 teams with as bad or worse o-lines then the Bills?

The Steelers would probably say to raid the Bills linemen, thats what they have done. their starting LT in the Super Bowl last season was a Bills castoff. Rogers was getting killed all last season behind that o-line. the green bay o-line is nothing special, it just looks much better because the Qb behind is is so good that teams can't throw everything at him because he will beat you in the air with a pass to whomever ends up open.

i think its time you let the grown ups talk about football and you can go watch Sponge Bob repeats

because they thought Levitre had potential to be a C also, and had been practicing him there too, Urbik and Rhinehardt were playing well at Guard while Levitre filled in at LT so they figured it was better to move Levitre to C and not have to disrupt the starting Guards to shuffle the lines. They found out in that game that levitre needed alot more work to be a capable C

Hey thanks for the update and making it personal you tool. BTW I'd love too read the link to the above? Because I didn't get that memo. Thanks in advance. What a fool I am. I thought levitre was a starting guard other than for awhile at left tackle. Because, we had no depth at left tackle and yes Levitre has played it before. Then they put in a rookie at left tackle who is way more suited for the right tackle than left (but of course you know that being an amateur fan forum expert and all) The teams i mentioned were not about their O-line ranking but how well they are managed from top to bottom. I doubt ANY of their coaches would let a guy almost screw up every single snap for an entire half if not longer.But of course they will be all playing meaningful games in January because their simply lucky and the Bills aren't.yea, I didn't get to watch the end of that blowout caused in part by Chans inept personnel moves.