Electrifying News

3rdnlng

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The gov't laid out 3B in incentives to a multitude of companies that produce parts used in the Volt. Not all of these have been or can be claimed. But if it all were claimed, and all of these went into making the Volt, the article took the 3B and divided it by the number of volts sold to date, or something like that since the math doesn't even work when you do that, to come out with 250K/Volt.

By that article's reasoning, the first guy got a 3 billion dollar Volt. And the next guy's Volt isn't worth 250K, but $42 less.

That article is idiocy by numbers. The author brags about his methodology "I added the known state and federal incentives that have been offered and divided by the number of Volts sold. If GM has additional information to add to the public data on the use of taxpayer money, I look forward to seeing it."

Not that I'm a fan of this but on the scale of government waste, I'd rather the government spent money on technology and infrastructure than health care, Iraq, Afghanistan, war on drugs, etc.

Hopefully the author will update this article every 6 months for a few years as more volts and other electric vehicles using similar technology are sold. Something tells me that his "math" will yield results that are far less sensational 3-5 years from now, but where would be the fun in that.

The gov't laid out 3B in incentives to a multitude of companies that produce parts used in the Volt. Not all of these have been or can be claimed. But if it all were claimed, and all of these went into making the Volt, the article took the 3B and divided it by the number of volts sold to date, or something like that since the math doesn't even work when you do that, to come out with 250K/Volt.

By that article's reasoning, the first guy got a 3 billion dollar Volt. And the next guy's Volt isn't worth 250K, but $42 less.

That article is idiocy by numbers. The author brags about his methodology "I added the known state and federal incentives that have been offered and divided by the number of Volts sold. If GM has additional information to add to the public data on the use of taxpayer money, I look forward to seeing it."

Not that I'm a fan of this but on the scale of government waste, I'd rather the government spent money on technology and infrastructure than health care, Iraq, Afghanistan, war on drugs, etc.

The only defense of what that article does is that it's the same amortization they do when they inflate unit costs in DoD programs ("The F-22 costs $100M a copy, that's too much, so we're cutting procurement. Hey, now it costs $250M/unit! We were right to cut it, because look how the price inflated!")

But I clearly think it's bull **** when the DoD does it, too.

Sure, I figured it would become very valuable some day. Sorta like a limited edition of the Edsel.

for the price, you should have bought a '68 Camaro or a '72 Goat.. Those cars are SURE to increase in value... unlike your chosen investment...

for the price, you should have bought a '68 Camaro or a '72 Goat.. Those cars are SURE to increase in value... unlike your chosen investment...

Actually I drive a Hummer when I'm not taking my private jet on a joyride or my gigantic yacht for a spin around the Pacific Rim. Regardless, as the "Most Interesting Man in The World" the Volt GSE is just another of my play things. The government buying it back at what they have in to it is only fair.

Actually I drive a Hummer when I'm not taking my private jet on a joyride or my gigantic yacht for a spin around the Pacific Rim. Regardless, as the "Most Interesting Man in The World" the Volt GSE is just another of my play things. The government buying it back at what they have in to it is only fair.

Of course. It's called bailing out the 99%.

So, GM is willing to buy them back, eh? I want 250k for mine.

Did you buy it for 250k? If you did your really got ripped off. All joking aside, you do realize that the more cars that are produced and sold the less the investment % from the government. So depending on what the sale number for volts ten years from now the investment might only be $100 per car or so.

Did you buy it for 250k? If you did your really got ripped off. All joking aside, you do realize that the more cars that are produced and sold the less the investment % from the government. So depending on what the sale number for volts ten years from now the investment might only be $100 per car or so.

You should sue your mother for dropping you on you head. Nobody should be this stupid. GM has sold 6000 of these so far and is offering to buy them back. How many do you think will be sold in the next ten years? The whole program is stupid, but I guess that is how you relate to it.

You should sue your mother for dropping you on you head. Nobody should be this stupid. GM has sold 6000 of these so far and is offering to buy them back. How many do you think will be sold in the next ten years? The whole program is stupid, but I guess that is how you relate to it.

:worthy:

Well, if they sold 6000 in one model year you would expect that they would sell 60000 in ten model years. Chances are thought that sales will pick up in the coming years as people become more comfortable with the car.

Well, if they sold 6000 in one model year you would expect that they would sell 60000 in ten model years. Chances are thought that sales will pick up in the coming years as people become more comfortable with the car.

So, you said the subsidy might only amount to $100 per car eventually. How many cars would need to be sold for that to happen? How would we generate enough electricity for all those cars?