Kelvin Sheppard

Wagon Circler

I posted the same topic on here a couple weeks ago. Got blasted by some who act like he`s the next Ray Lewis. He`s a rookie. So what, he doesn`t shed blocks or read plays very good. Coverage skills are also poor. Not fast enough.Starts over guys like Andre Davis and Morrison ,who I know are better than this rook. Bud and Chans pick.I think the run Defense up the gut is alot worse than when Davis was playing. If he`s not ready,don`t play him. He will get his chance in practice to show his worth, or injury. Best player should be on the field,not potential. But thats the Bills ,thats why we are what we are.Da Bills.

Time on the field will only help him, you just don't learn as much in practice. Andre Davis is on his last year of contract and it has been reported he is helping coach the kid. I like AD, thought he was kicking butt until he got injured last year, since came back he hasn't looked the same. I think he will retire and go into coaching (just a guess from statements the FO has made since last year).

One of the most confusing things for me, this season, has been Kirk Morrison's role on the team. He's been a consistent tackler over the last few years with Oakland and then the Jags, and I thought he and Barnett would be consistent, veteran help in the new scheme. Leaving the debate between whether we should play Sheppard to let him gain experience aside for a second, I think it's important to ask exactly what is going on with Morrison. He must have lost a step or two, because it is very strange for a guy who had, at worst, 89 tackles for decent defenses to come into one of the worst run defenses in the league and see basically no playing time.

KM the Reggie Tobor of the Bills this year? I think he might just be here for his back up role.

Good player. A rookie with no OTAs, no camp and then hurt for half the season, then they throw him in....

with a full offseason and camp, he will be terrific. you'll see. gosh , Bills fans are knee jerk.. man..

Agree

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed with GOBILLS

"Absolutely awful" is extreme. He's a rookie playing on a shaky defense that has 4 other rookies starting/playing. We've seen worse from our LBs and Im optimistic he'll improve as he gets comfortable. He was the heart and soul of a top tier LSU defense. Once he decides to take over, and we get him a little help at OLB, I think we'll have quite a LB.

Agreed. 1) he is a rookie. Worlds for Pitt played like a rookie last year and even earlier this year, and is playing very well right now. 2) He is overpursing because there is no one else in the LB corp with his physical skills and he prob feels like he has to do a lot of the LB work himself.

The point of the thread wasn't to talk about his potential, it was to point out the misconception that he's playing well right now. That is a misconception, he has a very long way to go. If we were still competitive, Andra Davis would be the better option, so you wouldn't even be able to lean on "but he's starting as a rookie!"

Edited by Big Bad Boone

The point of the thread wasn't to talk about his potential, it was to point out the misconception that he's playing well right now. That is a misconception, he has a very long way to go. If we were still competitive, Andra Davis would be the better option, so you wouldn't even be able to lean on "but he's starting as a rookie!"

"The point of this thread wasnt to be positive or optimistic, it was to B word about one rookie on a losing team"

Really?

It was to talk about what the kid has shown in the NFL so far.

Well neither of us were the OP so... I guess you can start your own thread with a very specific first post?

This is what we got. The majority of us have recognized his shortcomings this year but are optimistic for his development.

Well, he doesn't have enough ass to fill the hole, he doesn't rush the passer, he can't get off blocks, and he's not a good enough athlete to cover TE's or HBacks at this level. Aside from that he's just fine. :wallbash:

Actually I will give him a small nod as we've seen some minor improvement since the Bills started using him (even in heavy packages) during the first Jets game. There's been a small handful of times the last few weeks where he's actually made a couple plays outside the hashes, which is something that simply was just not happening before. That being said, he will never, ever be a good enough athlete to be an every down 'backer in this league.

In my opinion, his only really shot to carve out a career for a few years is to pack on a LOT of muscle and become a stout 2-down LB; sort of a poor man's Andra Davis if you will. He'll never be as good as Andra in this lifetime, but if he gets a lot stronger w/o losing any agility, he might be able to hang around for a few years.

Well, he doesn't have enough ass to fill the hole, he doesn't rush the passer, he can't get off blocks, and he's not a good enough athlete to cover TE's or HBacks at this level. Aside from that he's just fine. :wallbash:

Actually I will give him a small nod as we've seen some minor improvement since the Bills started using him (even in heavy packages) during the first Jets game. There's been a small handful of times the last few weeks where he's actually made a couple plays outside the hashes, which is something that simply was just not happening before. That being said, he will never, ever be a good enough athlete to be an every down 'backer in this league.

In my opinion, his only really shot to carve out a career for a few years is to pack on a LOT of muscle and become a stout 2-down LB; sort of a poor man's Andra Davis if you will. He'll never be as good as Andra in this lifetime, but if he gets a lot stronger w/o losing any agility, he might be able to hang around for a few years.

Nailed it. Let Morrison play to see what he can do. What could it hurt. Da Bills.

Honestly, I think that players such as Carrington, Shepphard, Moates Batten are being used wrong. I am convinced that our DC and linebackers coach have no idea on where to place these Players in order to put em in a position to capitalize on where there strengths are. Ala Aaron Maybin. I think that if we have Moats playing the same way Aaron is then he will be just as successful.

I think that the 3-4 is used to ensure that they can stop the run and the 4-3 to put more pressure on the QB. While I am all for using a hybrid defense, you can only make it work if you know where to place the talent u have as well as picking up and drafting the right personnel.

Honestly, I think that players such as Carrington, Shepphard, Moates Batten are being used wrong. I am convinced that our DC and linebackers coach have no idea on where to place these Players in order to put em in a position to capitalize on where there strengths are. Ala Aaron Maybin. I think that if we have Moats playing the same way Aaron is then he will be just as successful.

I think that the 3-4 is used to ensure that they can stop the run and the 4-3 to put more pressure on the QB. While I am all for using a hybrid defense, you can only make it work if you know where to place the talent u have as well as picking up and drafting the right personnel.

Look at Pittsburghs 3-4 olbs. Used to rush the passer. That is what they are used for. That is the way a real 3-4 works. Their L.B. s are not that big also. Just nasty as hell and used right.

Agreed. 1) he is a rookie. Worlds for Pitt played like a rookie last year and even earlier this year, and is playing very well right now. 2) He is overpursing because there is no one else in the LB corp with his physical skills and he prob feels like he has to do a lot of the LB work himself.

Drink the Kool-Aid ? Get REAL kiddie.