Hey everybody! It's the Teddy Roosevelt/Obama Thread!

I didn't say that the two were one in the same. There are always gonna be differences - especially when ideology meets real world application.

However, it's not really refutable that Roosevelt: was socially progressive, HATED big corporations, appointed justices to the Supreme Court and to the Appelate Circuit who were similarly ideologically situated, and was somewhat of a stalwart for the working class.

Name me a conservative in the field today with that on their resume.

Now, name me a democrat.

Conservative or a republican?

Comparisons like these are meaningless over a historical & political evolution. Just like today's Democrats bear little semblance to Democrats or a few generations ago.

Conservative or a republican?

Comparisons like these are meaningless over a historical & political evolution. Just like today's Democrats bear little semblance to Democrats or a few generations ago.

Agreed. And you're right, I shouldn't have used "republican," and "conservative" interchangeably.

My point to Tom still stands though.

Sorry for hijacking your post OC. I know that this was for fun and that you probably didn't intend to take this in a more historical direction.

Just had that one issue with your OP.

I didn't say that the two were one in the same. There are always gonna be differences - especially when ideology meets real world application.

However, it's not really refutable that Roosevelt: was socially progressive, HATED big corporations, appointed justices to the Supreme Court and to the Appelate Circuit who were similarly ideologically situated, and was somewhat of a stalwart for the working class.

Name me a conservative in the field today with that on their resume.

Now, name me a democrat.

I would absolutely agree that Roosevelt was a progressive (one of my favorite presidents - his memorial is my favorite, and I have several of his books. Most people don't know he was an accomplished historian).

I just absolutely disagree that Obama is anything like him.

I would absolutely agree that Roosevelt was a progressive (one of my favorite presidents - his memorial is my favorite, and I have several of his books. Most people don't know he was an accomplished historian).

I can respect that. Roosevelt is one of my favorite historical figures as well. It's interesting that Obama is referencing him so much. Must be a push for independents.

Agreed.

It is strange that Pres. Barack Obama has chosen to channel the spirit of Pres. Theodore Roosevelt, the president he least resembles. Teddy Roosevelt was a rough-riding, safari-loving, war-adoring imperialist (ask the Panamanians), the man who sent the Great White Fleet on a round-the-world tour to make it clear to American rivals hither and yon that they had better mind their own business or face the wrath of a budding world power. Barack Obama was an undistinguished law professor and legislative back-bencher who once gave a very good speech. Roosevelt wrote 18 books on subjects ranging from naval warfare to naturalism, and not one soft-focus psychological self-examination about his tender feelings about his estranged father. Like President Obama, President Roosevelt was the recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize. Unlike President Obama, he earned it, having successfully negotiated the end of the Russo-Japanese War.

Not exactly mirror images.

And yet Barack Obama, the great indoorsman and man of inaction, whose only instinct when faced with a national crisis is to deliver yet another speech, has trundled himself down to Osawatomie, Kan., where TR, by that point an ex-president, made his famous New Nationalism address, to try to get a little of that Bull Moose magic to rub off on himself. Color us skeptical, but we can see why TRs New Nationalism might appeal to Barack Obama: It was an early instantiation of the central-planning, top-down, intrusively managerial approach to national government that has been the Lefts model for generations.

NRO

Edited by B-Man

It's interesting that Obama is referencing him so much. Must be a push for independents.

I find it more sad that interesting.

Obama has been trying to associate himself with more famous presidents since before he was elected. His record as a Illinois state and US Senator was unremarkable. He had nothing to run on as Barack Hussein Obama, so he had to run as the second Abraham Lincoln or JFK.

His record as President is even worse than his record of voting "present" as a Senator, so now he has to run as the second coming of Reagan, Clinton, LBJ and Teddy Roosevelt to sucker morons into voting for him.

Unfortunately, all he's accomplishing trying to be a second everyone else is to be another Jimmy Carter, rather than the first Barack Obama. He had great rhetoric, too bad he took his opportunity and pissed it (and the country) down the drain.

"See, what Anondra did"? :P (We need the gay guy from the Orbitz commercials-->who rocks btw, I was hopelessly addicted to Project Runway for a while. We need somebody besides me to do what he did in that show in this thread.)

I don't want to hijack the thread but the Orbitz guy is not even really a guy, but a garden gnome. A depiction of a male yes, I I suppose he could be voiced by a gay guy, but a garden gnome is by definition neither gay nor straight.

I don't want to hijack the thread but the Orbitz guy is not even really a guy, but a garden gnome. A depiction of a male yes, I I suppose he could be voiced by a gay guy, but a garden gnome is by definition neither gay nor straight.

Isn't that travelocity?

Isn't that travelocity?

I have not seen any of those. I hate when they make up words like that.

Like I said I feel bad hijacking a thread but there is a tie back I suppose. Even though the Orbitz garden gnome can't really be gay I suppose his voice sounds a little gay. It is very similar to Robin Williams' depiction of Teddy Roosevelt in the Night at the Museum movies, in particular the second one where he is just a bust. He seems a little gay, but busts can't really be any more gay than gnomes.

Some of this branding stuff gets confusing like Geico with the Caveman and the lizard. I wonder if they will ever do a commercial with both.

What does Captain Kirk have to do with any of this? :unsure: