Thinking of throwing in the towel

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that about sums it up. I couldn't ever even consider not rooting for this team.

Really? I must have you mixed up with someone else, cause I thought for sure I remembered you starting a thread/crusade several years ago about how you were abandoning the Bills and going to root for some other team....I think it was the Lions, but not sure.

First, Polians fighting was with a member of Ralphs immediate family, his daughter, and its been reported that Polian was insulting to her. But I guess if you were in that situation, you'd push your own child down a flight of stairs if it meant keeping polian around

Second, how much of Indys success has been because Polian continues to build a great team, or because he happened to have such a great QB fall into his lap at #1 that year? Going by this season, I'm guessing it must be Polian, cause the Colts are sure showing that they don't need Manning to win :rolleyes: In his decade + in Indy, and with Peyton manning as his QB, HE HAS ONLY HAD 2 APPEARANCES IN THE SUPERBOWL, AND 1 VICTORY. Is it more then the Bills have since he left, sure, its more then a bunch of teams can say they have, but its not like there aren't plenty of others that have had similar success or better in that time

LMAO!!!! "ONLY HAD 2 APPEARANCES IN THE SUPERBOWL, AND 1 VICTORY"...and how many Superbowl victories do the Bills have?

This season is a low point for every Bills fan that really cares about the team. We started out 5-2, and have gone in the TANK ever since. This happened in 2008, and is happening again now. You blame our 5 game loss on injuries. I don't think so Mr. Pollyanna!! Every team has injuries. That is why we have a 53 man roster. Everyone on your roster needs to be NFL caliber. Half the guys on our roster are sadly not at that level. And most of the others would not start on a majority of the teams in the league. Look at our defense-absolutely pathetic. We have one LB who can play. Our D line is just as bad. Maybe Dareus will be a stud one day. But he has not shown me enuf to anoint him as anything but just another guy at this point. The secondary has been a joke. McKelvin, Mcgee and Florence as your top three CB's? Enuf said.

The Offense has nothing at WR. Don't tell me that Stevie J is a big time player. He has not dominated at all this year. Woo hoo-he averaged 8 yards a catch against Revis. The best receiver on the team is Scott Chandler. He actually is a player. Not a gamebreaker, but he can play.

Think about thinks with a little more intellect before talking like Mr. Martyr. This has been a HORRIBLE run since 2001. When things looked to be turning around, they have collapsed again. I think most of us feel desperate about the situation because we do not see an organization, including a head coach that has what it takes to turn things around. A lot of us feels like management just does not care. And they may not, to be quite honest.

But I will always support them. Just don't make judgments on others when they can come back and root or not. We all have our ways of grieving about what has become a very bad situation as far as this team is concerned.

I know you really want to be negative, but really...every team loses all FOUR of their pro-bowl-level players (based on last year/mid-season ratings) -- top rb, top safety, top defensive tackle (perhaps best in league), starting center, plus their kicker, a starting cb, two starting lbs, starting and back-up left tackles, multiple WRs???!!!! -- to say there are not degrees of injuries is being willfully ignorant to prove how much more negative you are than the next person. Maybe a Super Bowl caliber team could do that, but to expect that in year two of a rebuild is just spectacularly pigheaded.

Sorry if I'm being a Pollyanna, but based on my expectations of this year (and it's hard for me too to get the heightened expectations of the start out of my head), I am not disappointed and in some ways there are positives in that it's gotten many of the draft picks some snaps.

I know I should let this go, and it's no time to be positive, but I'm just tired of people getting belligerent about anyone who deigns to think that a young team beset by an absurd amount of injury is going to have a near-impossible time winning.

The Bills have always been the coolest team in the league to me. I don't know why when I was like 9 I decided to became a fan (well I do live in NY, 5 hours away from Buf), but something just drew me to them. There's something about them that's unlike any other team in the league.

Like others have stated, I couldn't not root for them or be anything less then a huge fan, even if I wanted to.

I feel a need for a slight correction here. Polian's firing was about his many disagreements with Littman over the years and had nothing to do with his calling Linda Bogdan a C-word. Polian was known for his irascible personality around 1 Bills Drive and he had many arguments with scouts and others over the years. RW's daughter had been a scout for 6 years under Polian before he was fired. Linda Bogdan could more than hold her own and didn't need daddy's protection from anybody.

GO BILLS!!!

I disagree with your correction

O.P. - I was just checking back to see if you left yet. Well? Did you make up your mind?... please reply as soon as possible, so that we know you're o.k.

roll eyes...

I'm so sick of the yearly let downs, wearing rose colored glasses and hoping that they are going to be better. It's tough year after year to find positives when in reality the team is dog crap!! If I want to voice my displeasure & frustrations with the Bills, I'm more than entitled to. Being a fan for 30+ years, all the money I spent going to games, all the money I spent on the NFL Sunday Ticket, all the money I spent on Bills merchandise, all of that gives me the right to B word about this team when for 12 years, from Ralph Wilson on down has shown no committment to it's fans of putting a winning product on the field.

But hey, Wilson, Brandon & Overdorff needs kool-aid drinkers like yourself to keep doing the same thing. In the 80's, once Rich Stadium stopped selling out and ticket sales were very low, that's when Ralphie finally did something to make the Bills better. Until that happens again, don't expect the Bills to be a good team again. Don't believe me, 19 winning seasons out of 51 is more than enough proof.

Your kool-aid is waiting...

Honestly, most people could care less if you quit being a fan or not. Just don't come back if they ever turn this thing around.

Another argument is why should El Cheapo do anything to win as long as there are plenty of suckers such as yourself and those agreeing with you below that keep lining his pockets, ... win or LOSE.

I mean put yourself in Wilson's shoes. You obviously don't care about winning. You do care about your money. And hey, there's more than enough people like you perfectly willing to give it to him.

... so why should he put a winning team on the field.

Here's a clue, they're not going to turn things around. They've had one good era and that was under Polian whom Wilson fired over essentially nothing. There has been no other winning era.

You might be able to find a couple consecutive winning seasons, but the Bills outside of the Polian era and the players/roster that he assembled, have made the playoffs only six times and are 1-6 in the playoffs otherwise, and half of those seasons were on the fumes of the Polian era.

So it's nice that you and some others are playing the tough guy fan man, but that's been part of the problem, people that pay to see anything and support the team financially despite the fact that the team isn't doing its part to reward the fans for their loyalty.

In short, you're wasting your BILL-IEVE beer muscles. This team has no history, at all, of winning outside of an accident named Bill Polian, whom Wilson saw fit to fire in the midst of an ongoing production of "the 90s era" that someone else mentioned. It's not like Wilson hired Polian, Polian stepped into the role after the GM at the time had a heart attack, otherwise it's doubtful he ever would have even gotten the job.

Anyway, you enjoy seeing those blue seats and then report to us how much fun it was shelling out your hard-earned scratch for this kind of play. But it's not going to change, not as long as everyone thinks like you do.

Sorry to have to be the messenger on that one.

Edited by TaskersGhost

Another argument is why should El Cheapo do anything to win as long as there are plenty of suckers such as yourself and those agreeing with you below that keep lining his pockets, ... win or LOSE.

I mean put yourself in Wilson's shoes. You obviously don't care about winning. You do care about your money. And hey, there's more than enough people like you perfectly willing to give it to him.

Here's a clue, they're not going to turn things around. They've had one good era and that was under Polian whom Wilson fired over essentially nothing. There has been no other winning era.

You might be able to find a couple consecutive winning seasons, but the Bills outside of the Polian era and the players/roster that he assembled, have made the playoffs only six times and are 1-6 in the playoffs otherwise, and half of those seasons were on the fumes of the Polian era.

So it's nice that you and some others are playing the tough guy fan man, but that's been part of the problem, people that pay to see anything and support the team financially despite the fact that the team isn't doing its part to reward the fans for their loyalty.

In short, you're wasting your BILL-IEVE beer muscles. This team has no history, at all, of winning outside of an accident named Bill Polian, whom Wilson saw fit to fire in the midst of an ongoing production of "the 90s era" that someone else mentioned. It's not like Wilson hired Polian, Polian stepped into the role after the GM at the time had a heart attack, otherwise it's doubtful he ever would have even gotten the job.

Anyway, you enjoy seeing those blue seats and then report to us how much fun it was shelling out your hard-earned scratch for this kind of play. But it's not going to change, not as long as everyone thinks like you do.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::worthy: Post of the year!!! Your post says it all, thank you!!!

But wait, you're not a REAL fan if you don't BILL-IEVE! (sarcasm) You're absolutely right about Wilson, all he cares about is making money. Chuck Knox didn't want to resign with the Bills because of Ralph's meddling. Bill Polian taking over as GM was an accident, since the GM at the time died. Ralph had Littman handicap Polian by not giving Polian all the money he needed to resign key players, then fire's Polian for arguing with Polian & Ralph's daughter. John Butler & AJ Smith did not want to resign with Buffalo because of Ralph's meddling. So, anyone of competence that the Bills had, Ralph drove off.

Like you, I'm not spending anymore of my hard earned scratch on Ralph's team.

How about the population of Bills fans in college or younger? All they can remember is total ineptitude.

How do the Bills expect their fan base to grow if they havent been the the playoffs in 12 years? They're absolutely killing a total generation of fans.

I went to my first game at age 6 in 1968. So, from that time until my freshman year of college in 1980, we went to exactly one playoff game and lost. Somehow, I maintained my Bills fandom. I don't think you have much of a choice if you live here. Only d-bags live in a city and root for other teams. (Back then I rooted for the Chiefs as my "favorite good team", but would never root for them against the Bills).

:thumbsup::thumbsup::worthy: Post of the year!!! Your post says it all, thank you!!!

Not even close. Every season there is some moron who starts a thread about how they are done with the team, tired or being a bills fan, can't "emotionally invest" themselves anymore, etc, etc. Your post is nothing new, and neither is this guy's rant about Ralph. We hear it year in and year out, and it really gets old. You guys should go start your own team called the "Wyoming Whiners" and get lost. :thumbsup:

Edited by ajzepp

So you're saying that you think Ralph is doing a great job. That 19 winning seasons out if 51 is acceptable? Also, you're saying that Ralph is not a meddling owner, cares about us fans and wants to put a winning product on the field? Keep drinking the kook-aid pal!

So you're saying that you think Ralph is doing a great job. That 19 winning seasons out if 51 is acceptable? Also, you're saying that Ralph is not a meddling owner, cares about us fans and wants to put a winning product on the field? Keep drinking the kook-aid pal!

Thanks, I plan to do exactly that. I'll take comiseration with my fellow LOYAL Bills fans over being a whining quitter any day.

Have fun with your new team...until you "throw in the towel" with that, too ;)

Thanks, I plan to do exactly that. I'll take comiseration with my fellow LOYAL Bills fans over being a whining quitter any day.

Have fun with your new team...until you "throw in the towel" with that, too ;)

It's one thing when a team goes through a rebuilding period and is not successful for a few years, but 12 years is ridiculous!! So if being pissed off after 12 losing seasons, and not giving a dime more to an organization that makes no attempt of putting a competent team on the field makes me a quitter, then that's fine with me. Just keep saying to yourself "Wait till next year...Wait till free agency starts...Wait till the draft...If we draft (whatever player) in the first round..." Keep on dreaming...

I think this should be a pivotal offseason for you. Its a s&^% or get off the pot time. If they dont sign Johnson, thinking Easley can fill the spot, and dont make move on creating some sort of pass rush... I might be gone too.

Ive been a fan since the early 80's. I could take losing. I just cant take hopelessness and ownership/management so committed against winning.

I'll always be a Bills fan, but I can understand those who jump ship until there is ownership/management that is committed to winning. This ownership/management is all about the $$ and could care less about either the fans or winning. The proof is that they refuse to sign quality backups, and are about 30 mill below the cap. PATHETIC.

It's one thing when a team goes through a rebuilding period and is not successful for a few years, but 12 years is ridiculous!! So if being pissed off after 12 losing seasons, and not giving a dime more to an organization that makes no attempt of putting a competent team on the field makes me a quitter, then that's fine with me. Just keep saying to yourself "Wait till next year...Wait till free agency starts...Wait till the draft...If we draft (whatever player) in the first round..." Keep on dreaming...

Yep, I'm definitely looking forward to the draft. Same with free agency, and you can bet your asss that I'll be front and center for kickoff 2012, just like I was this year. And it'll be the same the year after that, and the year after that. When they play like crap, I simply change over to the RedZone channel a bit...simple as that. There are lots of fans who get mad, frustrated, and refuse to spend any more money on the team until they put a winner on the field. Nothing wrong with that...I don't know many Bills fans who AREN'T frustrated. When you start talking about taking your ball and going home, though, that's pretty lame.

Great post. There are too many "meathead" fans here who can't see the truth. I'm still a Bills fan, but am not "blinded" to what's going on like some of these "Belliv-ers." Oh, Easly is the answer. Rooselvet is good. We don't need Marshawn, or Evans, or Hangartner, or McGahee, or Pat Williams, he's too old, or Jason Peters, etc. Let's let the "young guys play" yeah Ralph, way to go, were turning the corner. Same thing year in, year out. My bet is that they don't re-sign Johnson and the team offers up some BS excuse that 1/2 of the fans will eat up. Brad Smith, he's the new #1 guy.

Yep, I'm definitely looking forward to the draft. Same with free agency, and you can bet your asss that I'll be front and center for kickoff 2012, just like I was this year. And it'll be the same the year after that, and the year after that. When they play like crap, I simply change over to the RedZone channel a bit...simple as that. There are lots of fans who get mad, frustrated, and refuse to spend any more money on the team until they put a winner on the field. Nothing wrong with that...I don't know many Bills fans who AREN'T frustrated. When you start talking about taking your ball and going home, though, that's pretty lame.

well said.

Edited by RyanC883