Just met Marv Levy

outsidethebox

This has to be one of the most depressing threads ever.

Agreed. Every other franchise has one or two guys you hold in great reverence- Tom Landry, Mike Ditka, George Halas, Vince Lombardi, Chuck Noll, etc., etc. Ours is Marv Levy. respect him. I can't believe some of the things I've read on here. He made some sort of comment about hunting 25 years ago and a bunch of rednecks are talking s*** about him? are you guys insane? This a freaking Buffalo Bills website. It's like you're talking s*** about my Grandpa. Now I'm fired up!

Levy got a bad rap for his time as a Bills GM. He (reluctantly) accepted the job of bringing order and consensus back to the organization (in a two-year deal) that smelled of back room bargaining to appease the fans. He accomplished what he was asked to do and moved on.

A bad rap? He hired Dick Jauron and severely damaged the roster with heinous bargain free agent signings and terrible draft picks.

His first offseason he signed about a dozen journeyman pro free agents and not a single one made it. Unless you consider Robert Royal a success.

He let Clements walk for nothing when he was the top FA defender on the market and had a franchise option that should have netted at least draft picks. A year later they are drafting Leodis McKelvin #11 overall to replace him.

He let Fletcher go then traded up to get Poz.

He cut Milloy, an aging but serviceable vet, and drafted Whitner #8 overall a few months later. He traded McGahee for a couple 3's then used the teams premium #1 pick on Marshawn Lynch.

It is astounding how much damage to the roster he oversaw. At least under Donahoe the roster was treading water. Levy sank the damn ship.

Edited by Dick Drawn

Just happened to go to Wegmans in Chili tonight and saw Marv signing autographs. So I quickly got a ticket and purchased his book and stood in line. What a kind and gracious man Marv is! It brought back some great memories as I stood in line waiting. Made me feel like a kid again! LOL! Makes me proud to be a Bills fan!

FYI, I was wearing my Bills hat when I went to the store. Always proud to be a Bills fan win or lose! What a great day!

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!

I've spoken to Marv a couple of times on call-in shows, and have always found him to be respectful and accomodating.

Wow! What the hell happened? I start a thread about the best coach this team has ever seen, who just happens to be in the HALL OF FAME and a bunch of idiots hijack the thread to attack a kind and humble man? Tell you what, go start your own damn thread about how much you hate him! Don't pull that crap in my thread!

I can't believe the haters are real Bills fans! Hate the only coach who brought this team to the Super Bowl! Thanks to the folks who shared some kind words. I appreciate it. I am not sorry to say Marv Levy is one of my favorite Bills of all time. I would give just about anything to have the years that Marv gave to this team. He put the Bills on the map. He made them relevant! If it weren't for Marv and the success he brought to this team, there might not be a team in Buffalo!

Sorry about the rant. It upset me to hear the crap that was being said in this thread. My only attention was to bring something positive to this board, which I love, instead of the depressing(rightfully so in most cases) threads that has been on here for the past three weeks.

Marv is a ass. Anti hunting PETA freak. After he whined no real man would hunt, Hull showed up next day in full camo just to say #### you Marv.

The only difference is that Hull had respect for him as a football coach & even though he may not have agreed on every thing Marv believed in he at least gave him the respect he deserved unlike you !!!

I think the ASS is the person writing the words in the reply that i am responding to . Sir you are the ass !!

Better yet, he should ask guys like Jim Kelly, Darryl Talley, Thurman Thomas, Bruce Smith, etc if THEY feel that another coach could have gotten them to 4 straight super bowls. I think i would value their opinion a little bit more :rolleyes: .

Marv could tell great stories.

However, he was not a great coach. Other than Marchibroda, no one on his staff amounted to anything, let alone was developed under Marv into a great coach. for a Hall of Fame coach, where is the coaching tree producing coaching offspring?

The truth is Marv could not identify coaching talent any better than he could evaluate football talent.

Walt Corey is all that needs to be said about Marv's ability regarding coaching talent. Corey was a complete joke who cost them Super Bowl wins and wasted the pass rushing skills of Bruce Smith and Cornelius Bennett.

Marv could tell great stories.

However, he was not a great coach. Other than Marchibroda, no one on his staff amounted to anything, let alone was developed under Marv into a great coach. for a Hall of Fame coach, where is the coaching tree producing coaching offspring?

The truth is Marv could not identify coaching talent any better than he could evaluate football talent.

Walt Corey is all that needs to be said about Marv's ability regarding coaching talent. Corey was a complete joke who cost them Super Bowl wins and wasted the pass rushing skills of Bruce Smith and Cornelius Bennett.

Coach K just broke the record for wins in NCAA basketball. Take a look at his coaching tree - there is nothing there. Tell me he can't coach.