Detroit could run out of cash in December

DaveinElma

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2011/11/gary_brown_detroit_could_run_o.html

With Detroit Mayor Dave Bing preparing to explain the city's fiscal crisis tonight in a rare televised address, Council President Pro Tem Gary Brown says the situation is even worse than anyone has let on.

Bing is expected to discuss a confidential Ernst & Young report obtained by the Detroit Free Press that suggests Detroit could run out of cash by April without steep cuts to staff and public services.

That's a grim prognosis, but according to Brown, the city actually could be unable to make payroll "as early as December."

Hooray for liberals and unions.

Don't forget lawyers.

wow, read some of the comments... there is stupid all over those posts.

Here the botton line for Detroit- the boom time in that City has been over decades, most people who could leave have done so, and it is never coming back.... ever- no matter what they do, the bad weather and crumby location will leave Detroit a shadow of itself forever.

So Detroitys biggest companies build cars nobody wants because they are garbage in quality and design, Unions demand outrageous pay and long term benefits, and then when people are not buying cars and the City is seeing people head for the hills, they do nothing to cut their costs or restructure their demands?

I haven't followed him, he could be a perfectly capable executive, but (as an old-timer) I'm having trouble getting past Dave Bing as mayor of Detroit.

What next? Tiny Archibald as mayor of Cincinnati..............Clyde Frazier as mayor of New York....................

Here the botton line for Detroit- the boom time in that City has been over decades, most people who could leave have done so, and it is never coming back.... ever- no matter what they do, the bad weather and crumby location will leave Detroit a shadow of itself forever.

Crumby location? Detroit is situated in a great place as a hub of international trade between the US and Canada.

Crumby location? Detroit is situated in a great place as a hub of international trade between the US and Canada.

Do you want to live there? I don't.

The auto industry WAS Detroit.... So much of that has dried up, the place will never be the same. It like Buffalo when steel and manufacturing left, never be he same-

Do you want to live there? I don't.

The auto industry WAS Detroit.... So much of that has dried up, the place will never be the same. It like Buffalo when steel and manufacturing left, never be he same-

I don't believe that is true, both places just need real leaders and state governments that don't mandate ridiculously unsustainable programs. Buffalo could grow in the heartbeat with a real plan.

I don't believe that is true, both places just need real leaders and state governments that don't mandate ridiculously unsustainable programs. Buffalo could grow in the heartbeat with a real plan.

you mean like the plan that began to deteriorate about mid '70s??? and began to drive generations away from home???

you mean like the plan that began to deteriorate about mid '70s??? and began to drive generations away from home???

No I mean a real plan that would cut property and business taxes, cut union bargaining power in Albany, reform education, open NYS natural gas deposits to drilling, cut platinum Medicaid entitlements.

That sounds like a plan to me. :thumbsup:

No I mean a real plan that would cut property and business taxes, cut union bargaining power in Albany, reform education, open NYS natural gas deposits to drilling, cut platinum Medicaid entitlements.

That sounds like a plan to me. :thumbsup:

then run.... go for it... there are an awful lot of displaced residents that would love to come home, and are waiting for a reason to.... run for public office...

then run.... go for it... there are an awful lot of displaced residents that would love to come home, and are waiting for a reason to.... run for public office...

I would love to. But you might have to wait a few years :thumbsup: I'm still way too young (24 yo) and not nearly experienced enough to make any serious run.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to. But you might have to wait a few years I'm still way too young (24 yo) and not nearly experienced enough to make any serious run.

Didn't stop Obama.

I live in the middle of climate hell (Saskatchewan) and we finally have a government that is pro-business. Our economy is the best in North America right now, thousands who left are returning and our weather sucks. It can be done.

Edited by Marauder24

I would love to. But you might have to wait a few years :thumbsup: I'm still way too young (24 yo) and not nearly experienced enough to make any serious run.

You're not too young man. Chuck Schumer was elected to state assembly at 23. I'm 23 now and I've seriously considered running for assembly in 144th district in 2012, but probably 2014 more likely.

I really want to work for the public someday. Just have to wait for the right time.

Is this my cue for being "geograhically blessed?" :D Unlike the transportational dead-end Buffalo has become. Funny thing is, now Detroit is getting bypassed. There are only really two players on the lakes anymore... Chicago and Toronto... All the rest are becoming "Radiator Springs" in our streamlined, intermodal transportation system. Detroit knows it is fighting tooth and nail... My heart bleeds purple piss coming from BFLO. Pure zero sum.

Detroit does have a "tempered" climate... That is a good thing.

btw, whatever happened to that plan to simply bulldoze half of Detroit? That's the only plan I've seen about this city that made any sense at all.

I agree... Call it the BFLO plan too!