When's a private message not private?

I agree with you. The difficulty though is that you can't control the actions and "groundrules" that others will follow. As for me, I assume everything I put in email, PM's and certainly on this board might be seen by the public. As a result, I am very conservative about what, if anything, I say or share. There is also an unknown element. Everything that is put out on the internet is "discoverable." This may be legitimately through tools like Google or it may be through malicious action. No matter how or where along this spectrum words are exposed they can be very damaging.

Interesting topic.

more "discoverable" than i was aware of... i mentioned a brand of suit on this board and almost immediately started getting pop up adds for that brand. entered into a golf discussion and started seeing golf ads. now i'm cringing and worriedly waiting for the pop ups resulting from the levitre, wood and wang thread :angry:

anywho, a pm should remain private but it's clearly a mistake to assume that.

Maybe you shouldn't PM your name if it means that much to you? Did AD sweet talk you or twist your arm?

Hell I got my real photo on my profile. Who cares? Should I expect wiretaps or stalkers?

Dude, who was that mulleted long hair redneck who shot you?

Folks:

as i'm old and altogether unfamiliar with these issues, i've got myself wondering on what proper protocol on message boards are when it comes to private messages.

it's come to my atttention that there's a member of this board who has shared the contents of a private message exchange i had with said member about a month ago. it's nothing terrible, and nothing that i wouldn't have shared in a natural exchange on this board.

since it's been published, the poster noted that in a response to his private message (which followed a lengthy exchange on TSW that left said poster unsatisfied), i wrote "i really don't have time for this, sorry."

eventually, the poster persisted, at which point i accused him of being "absurd."

i won't share any other part of the private message exchange discussion, since that hasn't been published.

my question is since the person reached out to me in a private message, i kinda assumed that the conversation would be kept, you know, private.

and yet, lo and behold, i happened upon another discussion board in which this information was shared.

sure, i understand that everything that we write -- whether it's posts on the board or in private messages -- are open to be made public. and yet, it seems to me that it crosses a bit of a line -- an unwritten rule, perhaps -- to publish the contents of private messages, and on another board no less.

perhaps, i'm making too much of this. but i'd rather not have private messages shared.

yer thoughts?

jw

I hadn't given it much thought, but I have always assumed that if either party to a private message wanted to disclose the message or conversation and there was no express request for and agreeement to, confidentiality, either party was free to disclose.

Dude, my name is not Jerry Christ..........off this computer

LOL.......seriously...

So then ..... it's quite apparent that you've ......... been trying to fool with .......us. ......... seriously. If you're .. not Jerry Christ, then who's been ...... posting under your name? And why all the periods?

I'd check with your computer's security's devices, because it's quite apparent you've been hacked, Jerry, or whomever is posting under your name.

IEC

So then ..... it's quite apparent that you've ......... been trying to fool with .......us. ......... seriously. If you're .. not Jerry Christ, then who's been ...... posting under your name? And why all the periods?

I'd check with your computer's security's devices, because it's quite apparent you've been hacked, Jerry, or whomever is posting under your name.

IEC

I think all those dots mean I could say more but don't know what. I dunno ask Sage. He knows all that egghead stuff.

The fishing is great to. I caught one and brought home a hundred. Umm Friday fish fry with a limitless supply of wine. It doesn't get any better.

And all the prostitutes you can handle. That's the life...

Until you're mobbed by lepers, at least.