My fellow Libertarians and I are scary

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alrightie gotcha. Didn't know.

Though to be honest, if you don't like eyesores, why is the entire site bright white, why do you allow obnoxious gif images as avatars (hypnotoad?), and why is there barely any contrast anywhere?

Carry on, my libertarian brethren.

The toad guy is an ass for having that as his avatar but that's the only place it exists. For a while, some short-bus-rider had a cat that moved. Another tool. But most respect the idea to keep the look clean--like anywhere, a few douches are around and try to ruin it.

Black on white is how things get written and read. It's a worldwide standard. NY Times website? Fox website? Wall Street Journal? If you want purty colors, head on over to the Oprah message board. I hear you can write in pumpkin script on a chartruse stationary. Enjoy sailor.

Great to have you guys here.

defense spending: in need of serious cuts

Medicare and SS: Perfect example of what is wrong with the Entitlement Society. Millions of people beholden to the government for their survival. Start dwindling both down, support those sucked into the system while weenining future generations off the government teet.

Citizen United: not familiar with this. Please explain.

Healthcare: see Medicare. Get gov't out and costs will not skyrocket.

Federal Loan Guarantees: not a function of government

International trade policies: call me a big government liberal, but this is a function for government. Trade agreements should be reviewed by congress periodically and either renewed or rescinded

Corporations as individuals... Big court decision letting corp money unlimited into PACs...

The toad guy is an ass for having that as his avatar but that's the only place it exists. For a while, some short-bus-rider had a cat that moved. Another tool. But most respect the idea to keep the look clean--like anywhere, a few douches are around and try to ruin it.

Black on white is how things get written and read. It's a worldwide standard. NY Times website? Fox website? Wall Street Journal? If you want purty colors, head on over to the Oprah message board. I hear you can write in pumpkin script on a chartruse stationary. Enjoy sailor.

Maybe some of the ideas from our site are better than yours. Ever think of that?

Maybe some of the ideas from our site are better than yours. Ever think of that?

No, we didn't. Because they're not. Don't like it, go somewhere else - it's a free country.

Or, stay here and whine about it, and get the metaphorical **** kicked out of you for acting like a spoiled punk - again, free country.

To be fair having the HypnoToad avatar wasn't /dev/null's idea it was the HypnoToad's

No, we didn't. Because they're not. Don't like it, go somewhere else - it's a free country.

Or, stay here and whine about it, and get the metaphorical **** kicked out of you for acting like a spoiled punk - again, free country.

So there are no whiners here? I like the sound of that. I also like the sounds of kicking whiner's asses.

That's low on my list of things I care about.

Not a record low, but close.

I'm not suggesting you should, but given your whining about "This board isn't like my board, waaaaaaaahhhhh!!!" I suspect the list of things you care about is somewhat misordered anyway.

The problem with libertarianism (and it isnt a big problem) is that I think it short changes systemic problems and presupposes a "fairness" (for lack of a better term) that doesnt exist. Its wholly possible to construct a society where there is government intervention that results in MORE liberty, not less.

Furthermore, the entire philosophical backbone of the United States (and its constitution) is what justifies attempts to create a better system. I'm not saying that the government always achieves its goals (of course it doesnt) but that doesnt necessarily entail a scope too broad but, instead, implies a failure of performance.

The problem with libertarianism (and it isnt a big problem) is that I think it short changes systemic problems and presupposes a "fairness" (for lack of a better term) that doesnt exist. Its wholly possible to construct a society where there is government intervention that results in MORE liberty, not less.

Furthermore, the entire philosophical backbone of the United States (and its constitution) is what justifies attempts to create a better system. I'm not saying that the government always achieves its goals (of course it doesnt) but that doesnt necessarily entail a scope too broad but, instead, implies a failure of performance.

KRC, a former mod here and occasional poster, has a great read on the problem with the Liberatrian Party (different from the philosophy). But in essense, it's disastrously disorganized.

My criticism is that it gets bogged down in issues like pot that don't really matter, and also loves to tout its extreme solutions (shut down all welfare tomorrow), instead of recognizing that its goals (less government) have to be incrementally enacted.

My criticism is that it gets bogged down in issues like pot that don't really matter,

Yeah, spending billions of dollars every year to lock people in cages for utilizing a relatively harmless and potentially even helpful plant really doesn't matter. It's not like this country was founded on the principle of individual liberty. And federal spending is clearly under control so that we don't have to worry about massive expenditures on cultural warfare.

Personal freedom, oversized government agencies and out of control spending are clearly things that just don't matter in the United States. :thumbsup: